• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax County Police Video - How they respond to "person with a gun" calls

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
http://vaguninfo.com/videos/vcdl_meetings/2011/man_with_gun.htm

I watched less than half of it and have had enough.

First, the PD had a contingent of "Nice Guys" there to BS everyone.

Looked like there was a lot of kissing up to the Cop.

Then there was a spirited discussion about how to deal with a police encounter with VCDL members talking about OC'ing , being stopped and how they should show their permit to the officer.

One lady said "I'm not doing anything wrong and I have a permit for this gun"...really! I wonder where she got that "Permit for that gun"?

At least Ed brought up the fact that the PD was asking for permits from OC'ers.

Enough of that useless meeting!

Last edited:

All American Nightmare

http://vaguninfo.com/videos/vcdl_meetings/2011/man_with_gun.htm

I watched less than half of it and have had enough.

First, the PD had a contingent of "Nice Guys" there to BS everyone.

Looked like there was a lot of kissing up to the Cop.

Then there was a spirited discussion about how to deal with a police encounter with VCDL members talking about OC'ing , being stopped and how they should show their permit to the officer.

One lady said "I'm not doing anything wrong and I have a permit for this gun"...really! I wonder where she got that "Permit for that gun"?

At least Ed brought up the fact that the PD was asking for permits from OC'ers.

Enough of that useless meeting!
Maybe PVC will do the same for other VCDL meetings! I bet their feet were tired from all that dancing around the questions!

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Maybe PVC will do the same for other VCDL meetings!

Doing this--how to handle police encounters--was discussed at a VCDL meeting about four years ago.

A board member who is also an attorney happened to be there and said it was a bad idea because it amounted to VCDL giving legal advice. It went no further as far as I know. I think, done carefully to avoid the impression of giving legal advice, it could be done.

The next problem though is the wide range of opinions about police existing within VCDL. At the first VCDL meeting after the Tony's Incident hit the press, at least one VCDL member was vocally opposed to the VCDL members who did not cooperate with police to the level he deemed appropriate. (Side Notes: The Tony's Incident was an OCDO gathering of people some or most of who were incidentally also VCDL members. And, according to the record, the members cooperated with the police to the full extent required by our laws.) So, Philip has to walk a bit of a line to not alienate VCDL members who feel the police are owed more than other members might think.

Personally, I think practicing scenarios is a good thing. Drilling/practice is the way to go. If not really feasible for VCDL to host it, perhaps a local group of OCDOers can get together and practice. Say, three or four guys get together on an evening or weekend afternoon for an hour or so. Start out easy, switch roles back and forth. Then gradually ratchet up the intensity. While keeping some flexibility for members who want to go along more with police demands.

I would be happy to attend something local. I cannot host for lack of venue, but would be happy to attend.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

The officers are STILL saying 'I want to see an ID; do you have a permit' for OC-ers, EVEN THOUGH they were just reminded that an ID for a non-traffic stop is NOT required and a CHL for OC is NOT pertinent.

Yet they still say 'we might ask to see an ID'. WHY? Because some people don't know the law and they're hoping to TRICK THEM by LYING implicitly into showing ID. But GUESS WHAT? The LEO is supposed to know the law and yet even this knowledgeable trainer is talking about seeing ID. They must be retarded.

Of course, we know they are not retarded. They are telling us (even as we tell them they can't ask) they will STILL ask for ID all the while telling us they are training officers in the law. It's a waste of time doing this kind of training and meeting. They say one thing and do another. They treat civilians as perps and predators.

Badger Johnson

Man, even the questioners are ignorant.

Justifying asking a name without RAS, is not a legal stop. But they are justifying it in order to gather info to solve a "multiple rape" (in the scenario). If you think about it all surveillance, questioning of civilians if done exhaustively might turn up criminal intent but they're not allowed to do it because that is a FISHING EXPEDITION. If all people would just say 'no' it would prevent non-RAS stops.

When "multiple rape" example didn't get the answer he wanted he turns to the old 'perv taking pics of children' and got the 'OK' he wanted from the woman. IT'S STILL FISHING and not a legal stop.

But here we see even supposedly knowledgeable OC-ers are agreeing to talk to the cops in these scenarios.

Saying it's OK to ask questions and get names is the same thing as random illegal wiretapping and random GPS monitoring of cars and random video monitoring, but we allow it because it's a voluntary stop AND WE DON'T KNOW it's voluntary because the LEOs try not to tell us (or keep it from us).

Jonesy

I thought it wasn't that bad, the lady obviously didn't understand some of the aspects of open carry and not having to have a permit, and sounded like she was very inexperienced with carrying and dealing with officers. But I still think the meeting was good for both sides to see the others point of view, and to give the citizens the chance to ask questions of the officers.

Ed Levine and Philip were great in this meeting. The scenarios presented towards the end are useful and I encourage others to watch.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Doing this--how to handle police encounters--was discussed at a VCDL meeting about four years ago.

A board member who is also an attorney happened to be there and said it was a bad idea because it amounted to VCDL giving legal advice. It went no further as far as I know. I think, done carefully to avoid the impression of giving legal advice, it could be done.

The next problem though is the wide range of opinions about police existing within VCDL. At the first VCDL meeting after the Tony's Incident hit the press, at least one VCDL member was vocally opposed to the VCDL members who did not cooperate with police to the level he deemed appropriate. (Side Notes: The Tony's Incident was an OCDO gathering of people some or most of who were incidentally also VCDL members. And, according to the record, the members cooperated with the police to the full extent required by our laws.) So, Philip has to walk a bit of a line to not alienate VCDL members who feel the police are owed more than other members might think.

Personally, I think practicing scenarios is a good thing. Drilling/practice is the way to go. If not really feasible for VCDL to host it, perhaps a local group of OCDOers can get together and practice. Say, three or four guys get together on an evening or weekend afternoon for an hour or so. Start out easy, switch roles back and forth. Then gradually ratchet up the intensity. While keeping some flexibility for members who want to go along more with police demands.

I would be happy to attend something local. I cannot host for lack of venue, but would be happy to attend.

Excellent idea. I'd be interested. I'd also help to develop scenario outlines in advance from which to work.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The next problem though is the wide range of opinions about police existing within VCDL. ........ So, Philip has to walk a bit of a line to not alienate VCDL members who feel the police are owed more than other members might think.

Speaking not for VCDL, but as a member -

There is an ongoing effort to promote respect and knowledge from both groups - LEA and VCDL. The effort is worth it, albeit the gains may seem small sometimes. A seminar was held with Fairfax PD and others are anticipated. Not having "command authority" requires some degree of cooperation and mutual, perceived benefit. A lot of thought goes into that.

Badger Johnson

They talk a lot about mutual respect and not treating legal residents like second class citizens, but you will never find a cop who stops a guy OC-ing walking his dog:

"Sir, I'm not detaining you, there is no RAS, but I'd like to ask you a question and you don't have to answer it and you are free to go", then ask name or where the person is going (duh, walking dog).

In that case I -might- be inclined to tell him, since he's not lying to me or trying to trip me up or make me -think- I'm being detained.

Don't make the OC-er think he's being detained. Don't ask for ID if you have no RAS and it's non-traffic stop. Don't ask an OC for their permit. Period.

WE ARE NOT the bad guys.

Edit to add: The reason they lie and ask things they can't is because they want to fish. They figure that 10 innocent civilians being lied to is OK if they can arrest one bad guy. BUT that's the opposite of 'innocent until proven guilty' and 'it's better for 10 BGs to go free than to imprison one innocent person'. Neither of these important elements to a free society means anything to LE. They are trained to lie and 'fish' and then look you in the eye and say they're not lying or fishing. That's my beef. It comes from the TOP.

Last edited:

All American Nightmare

They talk a lot about mutual respect and not treating legal residents like second class citizens, but you will never find a cop who stops a guy OC-ing walking his dog:

"Sir, I'm not detaining you, there is no RAS, but I'd like to ask you a question and you don't have to answer it and you are free to go", then ask name or where the person is going (duh, walking dog).

In that case I -might- be inclined to tell him, since he's not lying to me or trying to trip me up or make me -think- I'm being detained.

Don't make the OC-er think he's being detained. Don't ask for ID if you have no RAS and it's non-traffic stop. Don't ask an OC for their permit. Period.

WE ARE NOT the bad guys.
+1

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Excellent idea. I'd be interested. I'd also help to develop scenario outlines in advance from which to work.

It's in the works down here. Not affiliated with VCDL but the idea is the best Hands on program I've seen discussed. More on that later.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Don't make the OC-er think he's being detained. Don't ask for ID if you have no RAS and it's non-traffic stop. Don't ask an OC for their permit. Period...

I'm just going to use that quote to illustrate one tiny little thing. Nothing more.

We are up against an experienced adversary.* Never forget, they do this all day long, every day of the week. They are not morons. No matter what else you think of them, never under-estimate them.

In support of this, I am going to point out something that occurred during the meeting. One woman directed to the short-statured cop a comment or question to the effect that she wants the cop to tell her where to place her hands and what to do. The cop very carefully avoided that comment despite the woman having the floor and the cop's attention being fully on her.

Why did he avoid that? I'm betting because he knew that as soon as the cop starts giving directions about what to do and where to place hands, it becomes a detention.

They know the rules. They know the game. And, they know how to twist the rules and use loopholes in the rules and system to their advantage. They play the game all day long. It would be more surprising if they did not know all the angles inside out and backwards. Never underestimate them.

Jonesy

The officers are STILL saying 'I want to see an ID; do you have a permit' for OC-ers, EVEN THOUGH they were just reminded that an ID for a non-traffic stop is NOT required and a CHL for OC is NOT pertinent.

Yet they still say 'we might ask to see an ID'. WHY? Because some people don't know the law and they're hoping to TRICK THEM by LYING implicitly into showing ID. But GUESS WHAT? The LEO is supposed to know the law and yet even this knowledgeable trainer is talking about seeing ID. They must be retarded.

Of course, we know they are not retarded. They are telling us (even as we tell them they can't ask) they will STILL ask for ID all the while telling us they are training officers in the law. It's a waste of time doing this kind of training and meeting. They say one thing and do another. They treat civilians as perps and predators.

They are not retarded, they are doing there job. They can ask for id any time they want, just like they can approach you and ask voluntary questions any time they want. RAS and probable cause are not needed for voluntary encounters. No need to get all worked up, just know your rights and act accordingly.

nuc65

Activist Member
It was unfortunate that it seems to me that most people there wanted to sing their song instead of letting the LEOs talk about what they came to talk about. The questions maybe could have been saved for after. The points made have been discussed many times and it would have been nice to hear what was going to be said by the LEOs rather then it seeming to turn into a attack the cops about everything they have done wrong, esp. when the cops weren't present for Joe Shmo's unhappy police encounter. It is very situational based. It seems that more could have been learned if some listening had occurred. Just my opinion. I also think the police have a role in our society they do and should investigate issues, just because. They should not violate a persons rights and they should not be above the letter of the law, but I would not have an issue with a police presence, as long as they understand that if I tell them to go jump in a lake and walk off, the 'voluntary encounter' is over.

The police exist in our society because there are people who don't have the same mores that I do. There are people (loosely) who think nothing of you, your rights, your morality, your property, your daughter's virginity. I would rather a cop encounter this person rather than myself, but it is why I carry. I am taking responsibility for myself.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
And I specifically asked.. what if I keep on walking or walk away. I was told that would be the end of the encounter and both Captains agreed.

Badger Johnson

And I specifically asked.. what if I keep on walking or walk away. I was told that would be the end of the encounter and both Captains agreed.

Great presentation. I'm being a little nit-picky. What I'm getting at and what is touched on above is they are ALL playing 'the game', which they play every day, all day. It's try to trip up the BG, try to get their 'prey' to disclose something. They just can't seem to stop playing it when they know they've got a lawful person who is really on their side.

And despite what the LEO said, I seriously doubt he'd let it go if you were not detained and tried to walk...he'd keep talking and try to persuade you. He might even say (later) 'the subject tried to walk off when I was questioning him, so I had to put cuffs on him for his own protection'.

What I learned is even when being filmed, even when you have only the 'good guys' among LEOs, they are still cagey, still ask what they know isn't legally required. We and they both know it and they seem to not get it, but it's a sham - what it does is put the citizen in the position to decline and start citing his rights, which is the big PiB about such stops and where they insert their 'one-upmanship' to try and 'win' the encounter even knowing they're in the wrong.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Great presentation. I'm being a little nit-picky. What I'm getting at and what is touched on above is they are ALL playing 'the game', which they play every day, all day. It's try to trip up the BG, try to get their 'prey' to disclose something. They just can't seem to stop playing it when they know they've got a lawful person who is really on their side.

And despite what the LEO said, I seriously doubt he'd let it go if you were not detained and tried to walk...he'd keep talking and try to persuade you. He might even say (later) 'the subject tried to walk off when I was questioning him, so I had to put cuffs on him for his own protection'.

What I learned is even when being filmed, even when you have only the 'good guys' among LEOs, they are still cagey, still ask what they know isn't legally required. We and they both know it and they seem to not get it, but it's a sham - what it does is put the citizen in the position to decline and start citing his rights, which is the big PiB about such stops and where they insert their 'one-upmanship' to try and 'win' the encounter even knowing they're in the wrong.

There is a certain point being made here that many will recognize and to which they will attest to from personal experience. It is in part the "us vs them" and part "guilty until proven innocent" that is practice by some LEOs. It should not be so difficult to recognize the GGs from the BGs.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
It was unfortunate that it seems to me that most people there wanted to sing their song instead of letting the LEOs talk about what they came to talk about. The questions maybe could have been saved for after. The points made have been discussed many times and it would have been nice to hear what was going to be said by the LEOs rather then it seeming to turn into a attack the cops about everything they have done wrong, esp. when the cops weren't present for Joe Shmo's unhappy police encounter. It is very situational based. It seems that more could have been learned if some listening had occurred. Just my opinion. I also think the police have a role in our society they do and should investigate issues, just because. They should not violate a persons rights and they should not be above the letter of the law, but I would not have an issue with a police presence, as long as they understand that if I tell them to go jump in a lake and walk off, the 'voluntary encounter' is over.

The police exist in our society because there are people who don't have the same mores that I do. There are people (loosely) who think nothing of you, your rights, your morality, your property, your daughter's virginity. I would rather a cop encounter this person rather than myself, but it is why I carry. I am taking responsibility for myself.

At the meeting I went to, the police said what they wanted to and then asked for questions. Usually, when you ask for questions, you're done talking and are ready to answer questions.