• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Extreme Vacation Cruise? instead of the same-old, same-old?

Chap

Awesome

Haha......................... damn, count me in. :lol:

Group rate, I wonder? :confused::confused:

Chap

SFCRetired

Shame nobody will actually do this. It would serve two purposes: It would make whoever put it into operation a huge pile of money until the handwringers at the UN put them out of business and it would also eliminate a lot of pirates.

It would have to be a large vessel flagged in some country that would not care about the pirates being targeted. There are some landside legal hurdles that would have to be surmounted, but that could be done quite easily.

Who do we know that has a few million they would be willing to invest?

j4l

Actually, the U.S. could flag it (if we had the nads..). The Privateering acts have never been rescinded- they're still valid, and active..just they havent been issued in a while..

No letter of marque has been legitimately issued by the United States since the nineteenth century. The status of submarine hunting Goodyear airships in the early days of the second world war has created significant confusion. According to one story, the United States Navy issued a Letter of Marque to the Airship Resolute on the West Coast of the United States at the beginning of World War II, making it the first time the US Navy commissioned a privateer since the War of 1812.[14] This story, along with various other accounts referring to the airships Resolute and Volunteer as operating under a "privateer status", is highly dubious. Since neither the Congress nor did the President appear to have authorized a privateer during the war, the Navy would not have had the authority to do so by itself.[15]

DevinWKuska

Pfft... you guys figure out the legal stuff.. I am sure with a lil help of advertising we could get the funding to get that ship sailing... btw would also like to suggest it be a larger tanker style vessel that could deploy "zodiacs" for up close and personal encounters. Of course they would have to sign a waiver saying the ship or its crew are not responsible if you get in the way of the 12 yr old with the RPG's.

END_THE_FED

........ Since neither the Congress nor did the President appear to have authorized a privateer during the war, the Navy would not have had the authority to do so by itself.......[15]

True the Navy lacks the authority, so does the president.

Only Congress can grant letters of marque and reprisal. Then again only Congress has the power to declare war and, well ...............