• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ada county firearms ordinance.

oldbanger

I do not live in Ada Co but I do open carry there.
This ordinance is on the books but it can not mean "not prohibited/B" and "prohibited/E"
Surly it is preempted by 18-3302J

5-4-2: POSSESSION OF FIREARMS:

B. Purpose: The purpose of this section is to prohibit the possession of a firearm in any public building, owned or operated by Ada County,...except in those circumstances where the individual carrying or possessing the firearm is...an individual possessing a valid permit[sic] to carry a concealed weapon.

E. Firearm Possession Prohibited, Penalty: It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his possession a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, while said person is within any public building, owned or operated by Ada County.

http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/index.php?book_id=447

Does anyone know who we could contact to get this corrected?

Zhukov

It's not enforced anymore. They know the rules. I open carried in the Sheriff's Building on Barrister for the concealed carry class and picked up my permit while Open Carrying.

Nobody cared at all.

clarkebar

My contact is Representative DeMourdant from District 14. He's with us on most everything, so far as I can tell. Even if it isn't enforced it should be repealed.

idahoguy84

I contacted the Ada County commissioner from my district, Sharon Ullman, who got some legal advice on the issue, and then called me back to say that she believed the ordinance was unlawful. She promised to move to revoke it when the commission met next. This was a month ago so I need to follow up and see if that has indeed happened.

buckfynn

It is good to see Sharon Ullman is being proactive on this issue. I definitely agree it should be taken off the books.