Thread: Blackfeet Indian Reservation

Blackfeet Indian Reservation

Do they honor the same permits as the State of Montana? Is open carry a problem?

Native America Reservations/Lands
    Carry on Reservations is up to the Tribe and its Ordinances/laws.
    They fall outside the state laws on carrying firearms.
    Even a permit/license issued by the state is not valid on Reservations unless the Tribe OKs it.

It is very difficult to find out what their Ordinances/laws are on carrying firearms. Check with the Reservation Police/Government before carrying a firearm onto a Reservation.
    Also be aware that Reservations are not marked that well and you can be well onto a Reservation before you know it.

More Info can be found at: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/tribal_law_ccw.pdf

Good link.
    I guess I need to contact the Law & Order Commission.
    I will be hiking on the CDT this summer. Wanted to carry....

The trail does not enter any WMA's in MT. It does briefly go through some Blackfeet land in East Glacier according to my map.

Montana State law (MCA) says nothing about restrictions on Carrying Concealed on Reservations. As for it being a Problem, never heard of any instances in MT.

I live right off the Northern Cheyenne ress,I have talked with local law enforcement bout this issue.
    I was told that State law is the law when on the ress,so carry as usual.
    I also was told ress cops have no judiction over a nontribal member,they cannot arrest you,they must call in the nearest SHeriff Dept or HP. That's what I was told by a Local LEO,anyways.

Indian Reservations are Federal Reservations. Only the FBI and Reservation Police have jurisdiction on Federal Reservation-no matter which one it is. Reservation Council/Government are under no obligation to honor the state's permits/laws on firearms in which the Reservation exists.

Be very careful entering Reservation property. Most public roads are considered just that, public, but subject to the jurisdiction of Reservation Police for traffic issues, etc.

If you venture off state highways or interstates that pass through Reservations, you're on your own. Specifically, if you are found well off the beaten path, you will be considered a trespasser and likely arrested.

That includes hiking across Reservation boundries from and to National Parks, BLM, FS land. It is common to seek a guide for hunting/hiking/recreation on Reservation land. It is also the courteous thing to do.

Indian Tribe Jurisdiction

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
    Indian Reservations are Federal Reservations. Only the FBI and Reservation Police have jurisdiction on Federal Reservation-no matter which one it is. Reservation Council/Government are under no obligation to honor the state's permits/laws on firearms in which the Reservation exists.

Be very careful entering Reservation property. Most public roads are considered just that, public, but subject to the jurisdiction of Reservation Police for traffic issues, etc.

If you venture off state highways or interstates that pass through Reservations, you're on your own. Specifically, if you are found well off the beaten path, you will be considered a trespasser and likely arrested.

That includes hiking across Reservation boundries from and to National Parks, BLM, FS land. It is common to seek a guide for hunting/hiking/recreation on Reservation land. It is also the courteous thing to do.
    For criminal offenses the Tribe has no jurisdiction over non-Indians. Only the state and the US federal government. For this reason, many states grant Tribal Police concurrent jurisdiction to enforce state statutes, so they can arrest non-Tribe members for violation of state law. However, if there's no state law against carrying, then they're going to have to find some other state law being violated to arrest a non-Indian...(i.e. trespass, poaching, etc.).

If you're talking about a reservation in the state of Montana, with all due respect to those from out of state who have posted, refer to a Montana resource for information.
    The Attorney General's office states that their is a reciprocity agreement in place. There are no other forms in place for purchasing or buying a firearm in a gun store on a reservation. Everything is done within the state laws. If you have a CWP from any of the counties in the state of Montana, it is good on the reservation too. They do observe a reciprocity level that allows us non-reservation residents to carry on the reservation!

The Federal Bureau of Investigation isn't going to do much of anything on a reservation. That's what the Bureau of Indian Affairs is about, that's what they're for. They have their own Federal Law Enforcement Branch. Just because a "Native American" is a cop on a reservation doesn't make him a Federal Law Enforcement Officer. It makes him a cop on that particular reservation. A Reservation cop on the Rocky Boy Indian Reservation here in Montana has no authority on the CSKT Reservation on the south end of Flathead Lake!
    The FBI has better things to do. Don't worry, every Government Agency has their own Law Enforcement. Even the Department of Energy has their own.

Quote Originally Posted by 40s-and-wfan View Post
    Don't worry, every Government Agency has their own Law Enforcement. Even the Department of Energy has their own.
    Anybody else feel a chill run down the spine?

No pun intended!!

Hej Doorbell: May I suggest you contact the Blackfeet "Law and Order Commission" (Or their Chief LEO) with your question.

Just doing so will serve you well. If you do not just ignor, but acknowledge their right to control activity on their reservation, it will pay dividends... You could send them a slow mail letter, or you could call them on the phone...either way...believe me, it would be a good thing...

You will not be disappointed.