• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

out of state CWP question

FLEMTP

Hey guys.. I live in Florida currently.. but things look like I'll be making a move to Charlotte here soon for a new job. I visit charlotte a couple of times a year because I have family here, and I generally open carry anywhere and everywhere I can. Florida does not have OC as of yet.

I do conceal when I need to, and I do have a FL CWP, which I actually just renewed.

My question is this:

After I move here, and obtain a NC drivers license, etc, does NC law allow me to continue to carry concealed with a FL CWP or do I HAVE to get a NC permit? Also, I notice that I would not have to get a PPP with a NC permit.. would my FL permit also allow me to bypass the NC PPP process (this is after i obtain NC DL & become a resident here)

If I have to get a NC permit, I will gladly do so, but if I dont HAVE to, I would prefer to just carry on my FL CWP.

Thanks for the advice guys!

M

mattwestm

Other states require that you have their permit, but NC doesn't require that you have an NC permit. I think someone else on this forum tried to purchase a pistol with a VA permit and it wasn't allowed. Just keep your FL permit since the NC permit will cost you about $200 for the fee and class.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
The OP's Florida permit would allow him to carry a concealed handgin in NC even after he becomes a NC resident. However, only a North Carolina concealed handgun permit may be used in lieu of a PPP. Additionally, some states (including South Carolina) will not honor the OP's Florida permit once he becomes a nonresident of Florida. I strongly encourage the OP to get a NC CHP once he moves to NC.

chiefjason

Also, check with Florida and see if you will need to update your address when you move. I can't verify this or point you to a source. But I believe I have heard that you can change the address and it becomes a non res CCP. I could be wrong there. Worth checking on though.

This would benefit you in NC by having the same address on your DL and CCP. It might give the impression that it's "more legit" so to speak.

Spearhead

I am a NC resident and I have a FL non-res permit in my collection.
Your FL permit is valid in NC, and so would be a FL non-res as I suppose your resident FL permit would be invalid once your not a resident of FL any longer.
The NC permit is a NICS alternative and a PPP alternative, and a permit from another state is not.

I'd figure the cost to swap your FL permit for a FL non-res permit would be much much much cheaper than going thru all the hoops to get a NC permit. I estimate I would have to purchase about 40 PPP's in order for it to be cost effective to change over to a NC permit, and I'll never buy that many pistols.

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

The FL permit is valid for 7 years, while the NC permit is valid for 5 years.

FLEMTP

There is no such thing as a FL resident or non resident CWP... its just a FL CWP, no matter where you live..so there is no concern about converting the CWP or having anything invalidated by the move.

They also dont put your address on them anymore, but you do have to update your address with the Division of licensing so they can mail you anything important ( like renewal paperwork).

I think in the end I'll end up getting the NC permit so I can bypass the PPP process, and make it easier to buy a gun.

Thanks for the advice