Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: SSN on CHL (CHP) app?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    11

    SSN on CHL (CHP) app?

    Hi all--

    I know this was addressed on an earlier thread, but I cannot seem to find it. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seem to me that we are not required to put down our SSN on the VA CHL app. if we don't want to. If not, what do folks recommend that we put in that box on the form? (I'm in Fairfax, if that makes a difference.)

    -thanks!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    49

    SSN on CHP

    In Va its called a CHP not CHL. On the CHP form it says it's optional, however it says to see notice 1 on page 3 of the form. It is also optional on the forms to purchase handguns but it may slow down both processes. It is also tracked by the DMV when an officer runs ur drivers license.

  3. #3
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    It's optional

    The less you have to write down your SSN the better.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by llcoolg View Post
    Hi all--

    I know this was addressed on an earlier thread, but I cannot seem to find it. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seem to me that we are not required to put down our SSN on the VA CHL app. if we don't want to. If not, what do folks recommend that we put in that box on the form? (I'm in Fairfax, if that makes a difference.)

    -thanks!
    You may write in "Withheld" or "Decline to provide" or other similar wording, or merely draw a line through the space in the box.

    If you find you have problems getting clearance from the insta-check or criminal history check you can contact the FBI to get a special ID number to use. No need to put your Social Security number out there.

    As for living in Fairfax (County or City) - there are rumors that the Clerk tries (tried?) to require extra-legal submissions, such as multiple copies, self-addressed stamped envelope, etc. That was either cleared up or can be cleared up by informing them that such are not in the law and politely informing them you are not going to comply with extra-legal requests.

    stay safe.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    11
    Thanks to everyone for the replies.

    According to p. 2 of: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/...CCR-CWP-10.pdf
    on http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/SP-248.htm

    FFX says for a 1st time application:

    "In addition to the completed application, you must provide the clerk with:

     Two additional copies of the original completed application.
     A self-addressed stamped envelope.
     Three copies of your certificate of competence with a handgun (see p.5).
     Three copies of documentation to verify residence in Fairfax jurisdiction.
    (see p. 4 and p.7)."

    Is all that is really required my:
    (1) submitting the SP-248 application paperwork (no SSN, but w/ proof of residency + 5 yrs. back since I've been living here <5 yrs.) + getting it notarized
    (2) providing my proof of training
    (3) $50
    ?

    If the FFX County/court clerk decides to bust my chops, what is my go to reference to inform them that those other requirements are extra-legal?

    -thanks!

  6. #6
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by llcoolg View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the replies.

    According to p. 2 of: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/...CCR-CWP-10.pdf
    on http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/SP-248.htm

    FFX says for a 1st time application:

    "In addition to the completed application, you must provide the clerk with:

     Two additional copies of the original completed application.
     A self-addressed stamped envelope.
     Three copies of your certificate of competence with a handgun (see p.5).
     Three copies of documentation to verify residence in Fairfax jurisdiction.
    (see p. 4 and p.7)."

    Is all that is really required my:
    (1) submitting the SP-248 application paperwork (no SSN, but w/ proof of residency + 5 yrs. back since I've been living here <5 yrs.) + getting it notarized
    (2) providing my proof of training
    (3) $50
    ?

    If the FFX County/court clerk decides to bust my chops, what is my go to reference to inform them that those other requirements are extra-legal?

    -thanks!
    A careful reading of the pertinent sections of 18.2-308.
    i.e. no additional copies, no SASE, ...
    Last edited by t33j; 03-06-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by llcoolg View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the replies.

    According to p. 2 of: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/...CCR-CWP-10.pdf
    on http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/SP-248.htm

    FFX says for a 1st time application:

    "In addition to the completed application, you must provide the clerk with:

     Two additional copies of the original completed application.
     A self-addressed stamped envelope.
     Three copies of your certificate of competence with a handgun (see p.5).
     Three copies of documentation to verify residence in Fairfax jurisdiction.
    (see p. 4 and p.7)."

    Is all that is really required my:
    (1) submitting the SP-248 application paperwork (no SSN, but w/ proof of residency + 5 yrs. back since I've been living here <5 yrs.) + getting it notarized
    (2) providing my proof of training
    (3) $50
    ?

    If the FFX County/court clerk decides to bust my chops, what is my go to reference to inform them that those other requirements are extra-legal?

    -thanks!
    On the SSN, you may also wish to check out section 7(a) of the Privacy Act, which can be found in the annotations at 5 USCA 552a (note).

  8. #8
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,217
    Mr Jackson, our esteemed lecturer said to put:
    "Not disclosed, if any".

    However our #&$^% clerk got us to send (against the regulations) a photocopy of the Va DL.

  9. #9
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    Mr Jackson, our esteemed lecturer said to put:
    "Not disclosed, if any".

    However our #&$^% clerk got us to send (against the regulations) a photocopy of the Va DL.
    No offense intended Badger, but if you sent it, it's your fault.

    Tell the clerk he/she can't require it, put in the Application without it...if the Clerk won't accept it, tell them you want it in writing. Then go talk to the Judge.

    Sometimes we want something so badly, we give in to pressure just to speed it up.
    That's well and good if you're OK with it....but don't complain afterward.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    64

    Exclamation Fairfax County CHP Requirements

    Rather than , I provided all that the "clerk" required. I politely requested the reasoning behind the additional requirements as was told that the judge required them.

    The next issue is that Virginia requires that the CHP be issued or denied within 45 days. My CHP was held by the clerk (as required by the judge, I assume) for 35 days then sent to the Fairfax sheriff's office who turned the background check around in less than a day. But seeing as how the request arrived in his office on a Friday, it did not head to the clerk until the following monday. Forty three days later I had my CHP in hand.

    Bottom line: Fairfax is not "Gun Friendly!"
    Last edited by p.publius; 03-08-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: FFS

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by p.publius View Post
    Rather than , I provided all that the "clerk" required.

    Because no one is willing to then Fairfax is willing to not give a damn about what is required by the law vs. what they are requiring.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    No offense intended Badger, but if you sent it, it's your fault.

    Tell the clerk he/she can't require it, put in the Application without it...if the Clerk won't accept it, tell them you want it in writing. Then go talk to the Judge.

    Sometimes we want something so badly, we give in to pressure just to speed it up.
    That's well and good if you're OK with it....but don't complain afterward.
    No, I was tricked by the clerk. And, true, the last thing you want to do is 'stick out' in matters like this.

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711
    Remember - everything you give the Clerk is a public record in your CHP file - it can be inspected by anyone, scanned, and posted to teh internet.

    For ssn, write: "Not disclosed, if any."

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    64

    Talking Japanese Proverb

    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Because no one is willing to then Fairfax is willing to not give a damn about what is required by the law vs. what they are requiring.
    The nail that sticks up, gets pounded down.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by p.publius View Post
    The nail that sticks up, gets pounded down.
    Is Fairfax not being a nail that's sticking up?

  16. #16
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Is Fairfax not being a nail that's sticking up?
    Is OC not currently the same?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    Is OC not currently the same?
    OC is legal. Where is the law to pound it down?

  18. #18
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    OC is legal. Where is the law to pound it down?
    I meant to say that OC sticks out. The OP seems to be ok with that but not in a related circumstance. Granted here we are discussing CHP stuff on an OC board. (i.e. maybe there isn't much OCing going on...)
    Last edited by t33j; 03-08-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700
    Gotcha! I'm easily confusable right now.

  20. #20
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694
    was told that the judge required them.
    Judge ought to do a little re-read of the appropriate section himself, then.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •