• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SSN on CHL (CHP) app?

gcrtkd

Hi all--

I know this was addressed on an earlier thread, but I cannot seem to find it. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seem to me that we are not required to put down our SSN on the VA CHL app. if we don't want to. If not, what do folks recommend that we put in that box on the form? (I'm in Fairfax, if that makes a difference.)

-thanks!

waapl01

SSN on CHP

In Va its called a CHP not CHL. On the CHP form it says it's optional, however it says to see notice 1 on page 3 of the form. It is also optional on the forms to purchase handguns but it may slow down both processes. It is also tracked by the DMV when an officer runs ur drivers license.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Hi all--

I know this was addressed on an earlier thread, but I cannot seem to find it. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seem to me that we are not required to put down our SSN on the VA CHL app. if we don't want to. If not, what do folks recommend that we put in that box on the form? (I'm in Fairfax, if that makes a difference.)

-thanks!

You may write in "Withheld" or "Decline to provide" or other similar wording, or merely draw a line through the space in the box.

If you find you have problems getting clearance from the insta-check or criminal history check you can contact the FBI to get a special ID number to use. No need to put your Social Security number out there.

As for living in Fairfax (County or City) - there are rumors that the Clerk tries (tried?) to require extra-legal submissions, such as multiple copies, self-addressed stamped envelope, etc. That was either cleared up or can be cleared up by informing them that such are not in the law and politely informing them you are not going to comply with extra-legal requests.

stay safe.

gcrtkd

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

According to p. 2 of: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/pdf/CCR-CWP-10.pdf
on http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/SP-248.htm

FFX says for a 1st time application:

"In addition to the completed application, you must provide the clerk with:

 Two additional copies of the original completed application.
 A self-addressed stamped envelope.
 Three copies of your certificate of competence with a handgun (see p.5).
 Three copies of documentation to verify residence in Fairfax jurisdiction.
(see p. 4 and p.7)."

Is all that is really required my:
(1) submitting the SP-248 application paperwork (no SSN, but w/ proof of residency + 5 yrs. back since I've been living here <5 yrs.) + getting it notarized
(2) providing my proof of training
(3) $50
?

If the FFX County/court clerk decides to bust my chops, what is my go to reference to inform them that those other requirements are extra-legal?

-thanks!

t33j

According to p. 2 of: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/pdf/CCR-CWP-10.pdf

(see p. 4 and p.7)."

(1) submitting the SP-248 application paperwork (no SSN, but w/ proof of residency + 5 yrs. back since I've been living here <5 yrs.) + getting it notarized
(3) $50
?

If the FFX County/court clerk decides to bust my chops, what is my go to reference to inform them that those other requirements are extra-legal?

-thanks!

A careful reading of the pertinent sections of 18.2-308.
i.e. no additional copies, no SASE, ...

Last edited:

The Donkey

(see p. 4 and p.7)."

(3) $50
?

-thanks!

On the SSN, you may also wish to check out section 7(a) of the Privacy Act, which can be found in the annotations at 5 USCA 552a (note).

Badger Johnson

Mr Jackson, our esteemed lecturer said to put:
"Not disclosed, if any".

However our #&$^% clerk got us to send (against the regulations) a photocopy of the Va DL.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Mr Jackson, our esteemed lecturer said to put:
"Not disclosed, if any".

However our #&$^% clerk got us to send (against the regulations) a photocopy of the Va DL.

No offense intended Badger, but if you sent it, it's your fault.

Tell the clerk he/she can't require it, put in the Application without it...if the Clerk won't accept it, tell them you want it in writing. Then go talk to the Judge.

Sometimes we want something so badly, we give in to pressure just to speed it up.
That's well and good if you're OK with it....but don't complain afterward.

p.publius

Fairfax County CHP Requirements

Rather than :banghead: , I provided all that the "clerk" required. I politely requested the reasoning behind the additional requirements as was told that the judge required them.

The next issue is that Virginia requires that the CHP be issued or denied within 45 days. My CHP was held by the clerk (as required by the judge, I assume) for 35 days then sent to the Fairfax sheriff's office who turned the background check around in less than a day. But seeing as how the request arrived in his office on a Friday, it did not head to the clerk until the following monday. Forty three days later I had my CHP in hand.

Bottom line: Fairfax is not "Gun Friendly!" :eek:

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

No offense intended Badger, but if you sent it, it's your fault.

Tell the clerk he/she can't require it, put in the Application without it...if the Clerk won't accept it, tell them you want it in writing. Then go talk to the Judge.

Sometimes we want something so badly, we give in to pressure just to speed it up.
That's well and good if you're OK with it....but don't complain afterward.

No, I was tricked by the clerk. And, true, the last thing you want to do is 'stick out' in matters like this.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Remember - everything you give the Clerk is a public record in your CHP file - it can be inspected by anyone, scanned, and posted to teh internet.

For ssn, write: "Not disclosed, if any."

t33j

OC is legal. Where is the law to pound it down? :confused:

I meant to say that OC sticks out. The OP seems to be ok with that but not in a related circumstance. Granted here we are discussing CHP stuff on an OC board. (i.e. maybe there isn't much OCing going on...)

Last edited: