Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: New Mexico is listed as NOT honoring my CWP ???

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Marion, Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    20

    New Mexico is listed as NOT honoring my CWP ???

    I was wondering if anyone could answer as to why NM does not honor my CWP from MS.

    I see no real reason given anywhere.

    Does this mean I have to OC in NM to be legal even with my permit ???

    I wonder how this can be remedied.

  2. #2
    Opt-Out Members
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Clovis, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    219
    MS would have to change their law significantly. They have no training requirement - it's a cash and carry transaction - you have the money - you get the license.

    Further, their background check system is useless in the meaning that it complies with NM Statutes. There's really no fingerprint requirement.

    "Firearms Permit Unit -- >
    45-9-101. License to carry concealed pistol or revolver.


    (6) (d)
    In the event a legible set of fingerprints, as determined by the Department of Public Safety and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, cannot be obtained after a minimum of three (3) attempts, the Department of Public Safety shall determine eligibility based upon a name check by the Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol and a Federal Bureau of Investigation name check conducted by the Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol at the request of the Department of Public Safety. "

    Honors or reciprocity are only granted to states with requirements "Substantially similar" to NM Statue requirements.

    All you can do here is carry openly - which is perfectly legal and done everyday.

    Steve Aikens

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Marion, Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    20
    Not really an answer.

    And yes, MS requires fingerprinting.
    DIGITALLY now.
    Full NCIC check is done, 50 state AND federal.

    My question can be refine though.

    If I am TRAVELLING into or through NM, (either in a RV or as a trucker) what is the best way to not have a problem since they don't honor my CWP ???

    Will I be able to just OC instead of CC ???

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,509
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Not really an answer.

    And yes, MS requires fingerprinting.
    DIGITALLY now.
    Full NCIC check is done, 50 state AND federal.

    My question can be refine though.

    If I am TRAVELLING into or through NM, (either in a RV or as a trucker) what is the best way to not have a problem since they don't honor my CWP ???

    Will I be able to just OC instead of CC ???
    NM has no restrictions on a loaded handgun in your vehicle.

    Outside your vehicle you can OC except in places that are off limits. As a traveler, your biggest problem will be places that sell alcoholic beverages, either restaurants or for off-premises consumption. The only legal way to carry a firearm there is concealed with a valid license -- otherwise it's a fourth degree felony. Yes, that includes convenience stores and Wal-Mart.

    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newmexico.pdf
    Last edited by KBCraig; 03-06-2011 at 08:07 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Posts
    242
    Get yourself an AZ permit. Not only would that net you NM, but you would also gain Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Plus, starting in July Nevada will start recognizing them.

    If you have ever taken hunter safety or any NRA course or have a DD-214 you will not need any further training. If not, find somebody to give you an NRA basic pistol or FIRST Steps pistol course. Check out nrainstructors.org to find a course near you.

    Once you have proof of training in your hand, request an application packet from AZ DPS. Fill out the app, get fingerprinted, send it all back in with a copy of your proof of training and a money order for $60.

    If you are ever passing through southern NM I can help you get it all done. Just PM me.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalTactical View Post
    Get yourself an AZ permit. Not only would that net you NM, but you would also gain Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Plus, starting in July Nevada will start recognizing them.

    If you have ever taken hunter safety or any NRA course or have a DD-214 you will not need any further training. If not, find somebody to give you an NRA basic pistol or FIRST Steps pistol course. Check out nrainstructors.org to find a course near you.

    Once you have proof of training in your hand, request an application packet from AZ DPS. Fill out the app, get fingerprinted, send it all back in with a copy of your proof of training and a money order for $60.

    If you are ever passing through southern NM I can help you get it all done. Just PM me.

    +1 on AZ. reciprocity is awesome...and their turn around time is running about 2 weeks.
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; 03-07-2011 at 11:44 AM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    Posts
    114

    +1 on Arizona Permit

    Contact info for Arizona Dept of Public Safety:

    http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...apons/Contact/

    They are very helpful and quick -- received my permit in under two weeks.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Posts
    242
    Got mine in 4 business days. But then again I lived in the PHX metro area when I got mine

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    16

    caliber requirement?

    Hey guys, this is all great info on the AZ permit route....which could effectively be 50% cheaper than doing it through NM, if you complete an alternate training course (NRA Basic Pistol or something like that).

    EDIT: Maybe not 50% cheaper on the whole, but still cheaper.

    Since there are alternate training courses that they accept, does that mean they have no caliber requirement? Like in NM you have to qualify at the CCW training course with the largest caliber pistol/revolver you would ever want to carry (concealed anyway).

    NMBill and Practical, does your card have a caliber designation?

    Thanks guys
    Last edited by priller; 03-10-2011 at 12:57 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post
    Hey guys, this is all great info on the AZ permit route....which could effectively be 50% cheaper than doing it through NM, if you complete an alternate training course (NRA Basic Pistol or something like that).

    EDIT: Maybe not 50% cheaper on the whole, but still cheaper.

    Since there are alternate training courses that they accept, does that mean they have no caliber requirement? Like in NM you have to qualify at the CCW training course with the largest caliber pistol/revolver you would ever want to carry (concealed anyway).

    NMBill and Practical, does your card have a caliber designation?

    Thanks guys

    AZ has no caliber requirements. They just want to know that you can safely handle a pistol....any pistol.
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; 03-10-2011 at 01:23 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    AZ has no caliber requirements. They just want to know that you can safely handle a pistol....any pistol.
    Sweet, thanks for the info.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    Posts
    114

    No Caliber Listed on AZ Permit

    As a matter of fact, the AZ permit doesn't even have a picture or address. I still plan to maintain my NM permit. Got the AZ permit for travel, due to the greater number of reciprocal states.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    AZ has no caliber requirements. They just want to know that you can safely handle a pistol....any pistol.
    The official AZ DPS course is very similar to New Mexico's, but at the end half the students show up with .22 LR.

    I set up my classes in Las Cruces so that the first day of the course sets students up for AZ and FL and the second day finishes out what NM requires beyond that.

    The students who choose to get fingerprinted for AZ usually do it for reciprocity or to get the permit fast. It's also great for having something to carry on if you have renewal issues with NM and have your permit lapse for a few weeks.

    Theres also the issue of the aftermath of a shooting. If you legally defend yourself, totally good shoot and perfectly legal, it could still take weeks or months to get your permit and pistol back. They might even take all of the guns in your house for 'evidence'. Meanwhile, the dirtbag's mom is sending his cousins out to find you for shooting her poor innocent little boy.

    Or some cop who moved in from NY or CA last year decides to confiscate your permit because you violated some law NM doesn't have. Sure, you'll prove him wrong and get your license back, but it could take a while.

    These are just a couple of the many possible scenarios. Having a spare pistol and a spare permit that you stored in an unspecified offsite location could really come in handy.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    454
    Practical, sounds like you have a well-thought out system. I got my AZ permit mostly to be prepared in advance for the possible renewal issue- I know of several cases where people have had them expire before getting the new permit from the state, even adhering to the full period. One of these people is my CCW instructor!

    The second reason was the added reciprocity.

    You have also given me reason to rethink carrying both with me as I have been doing. I think the AZ permit will be going into the safe or another secret location. I'll have to give some serious though to where else I could stash a gun. Any thoughts in that area?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    Posts
    114

    If it's a REALLY cool gun...

    Quote Originally Posted by AH.74 View Post
    Practical, sounds like you have a well-thought out system. I got my AZ permit mostly to be prepared in advance for the possible renewal issue- I know of several cases where people have had them expire before getting the new permit from the state, even adhering to the full period. One of these people is my CCW instructor!

    The second reason was the added reciprocity.

    You have also given me reason to rethink carrying both with me as I have been doing. I think the AZ permit will be going into the safe or another secret location. I'll have to give some serious though to where else I could stash a gun. Any thoughts in that area?
    ...you can keep it at my house, AH. LOL.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by AH.74 View Post
    Practical, sounds like you have a well-thought out system. I got my AZ permit mostly to be prepared in advance for the possible renewal issue- I know of several cases where people have had them expire before getting the new permit from the state, even adhering to the full period. One of these people is my CCW instructor!

    The second reason was the added reciprocity.

    You have also given me reason to rethink carrying both with me as I have been doing. I think the AZ permit will be going into the safe or another secret location. I'll have to give some serious though to where else I could stash a gun. Any thoughts in that area?
    I've heard a lot of ideas from people. Some store at a family member's house, in a storage locker or at a safe deposit box.

    One guy I knew oiled it up, put it in a vacuum sealed bag, boxed it and buried in his yard, but that was far from the only gun he did this to

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalTactical View Post
    I've heard a lot of ideas from people. Some store at a family member's house, in a storage locker or at a safe deposit box.

    One guy I knew oiled it up, put it in a vacuum sealed bag, boxed it and buried in his yard, but that was far from the only gun he did this to
    I actually needed to be at the bank today so did get a pricing sheet on their boxes. Not sure if I really want to go that route though. We have had boxes in the past but not for quite a few years now.

    We have no family out here and no one else I'd really trust enough.

    You're too far away, Bill! heh

  18. #18
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    Arizona does require that it be a firearm, not an air or airsoft pistol.

    Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post
    Sweet, thanks for the info.
    Arizona requires that the firearm used in their course is a legal handgun, not an air pistol or air soft pistol.

  19. #19
    Regular Member diverjer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North East Kansas
    Posts
    2
    I have a Kansas CCW permit and really hate going across New Mexico to Phoenix where I visit family. Kansas honors NM, but NM won't honor Kansas ?? And to top it off I usually spend a night in NM at Tucumcari. Sometimes I drive west of Albuquerque to Grants. That is a long drive from NE Kansas. I guess I can leave weapon in car or put in suitcase and take to hotel room. Problem there is bad idea to leave gun in hotel room when not present. I could miss NM altogether, but much longer drive. You would think since we take there permits, they could honor ours. I will most likely just leave in car.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by diverjer View Post
    I have a Kansas CCW permit and really hate going across New Mexico to Phoenix where I visit family. Kansas honors NM, but NM won't honor Kansas ?? And to top it off I usually spend a night in NM at Tucumcari. Sometimes I drive west of Albuquerque to Grants. That is a long drive from NE Kansas. I guess I can leave weapon in car or put in suitcase and take to hotel room. Problem there is bad idea to leave gun in hotel room when not present. I could miss NM altogether, but much longer drive. You would think since we take there permits, they could honor ours. I will most likely just leave in car.
    What kind of training did Kansas require? AZ will usually accept a photocopy of your state's CCW as proof of training. All you'd have to do is pay $60 app fee and you'd be covered in NM and plenty of other states.

    Or perhaps more on topic for this open carry forum...you could always OC outside your vehicle while in New Mexico as long as you stay out of licensed liquor establishments and other off-limits places.

    -----------
    Shameless Sig Plug: Practical Tactical Training - The Best CHL class value in Southern New Mexico. PM me for details or call 575-520-8888

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalTactical View Post
    What kind of training did Kansas require? AZ will usually accept a photocopy of your state's CCW as proof of training. All you'd have to do is pay $60 app fee and you'd be covered in NM and plenty of other states.
    The KS CCH does indeed suffice for the AZ training requirement. I have seen several KS residents use it successfully.

  22. #22
    Regular Member diverjer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North East Kansas
    Posts
    2
    Yes I am fine in AZ, from what I can see AZ accepts the KS CCW and I don't have to do anything. It's NM that is a problem. I guess I can always OC in NM, but for some reason that makes me feel strange, like everyone is watching. The less people know about me the better, guess I would just as soon people not know if I am armed.

    Kansas requires electronic fingerprint, application at local sheriff and state attorney general, then federal and state background checks, 8 hours classroom training then pass a test without missing any questions. Think there was about 25 questions, then you have to take a test on shooting skills.
    Last edited by diverjer; 03-17-2011 at 11:13 PM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by diverjer View Post
    Yes I am fine in AZ, from what I can see AZ accepts the KS CCW and I don't have to do anything. It's NM that is a problem. I guess I can always OC in NM, but for some reason that makes me feel strange, like everyone is watching. The less people know about me the better, guess I would just as soon people not know if I am armed.

    Kansas requires electronic fingerprint, application at local sheriff and state attorney general, then federal and state background checks, 8 hours classroom training then pass a test without missing any questions. Think there was about 25 questions, then you have to take a test on shooting skills.

    The suggestion was for you to apply for the AZ carry permit as it will cover you in NM. ;-)
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; 03-18-2011 at 11:17 AM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    85
    Another option would be to put the magazine in your pocket and clear the chamber while you're in NM. Concealing an unloaded gun is allowed everywhere open carry is allowed.
    Last edited by castiel; 03-18-2011 at 12:00 PM.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by castiel View Post
    Another option would be to put the magazine in your pocket and clear the chamber while you're in NM. Concealing an unloaded gun is allowed everywhere open carry is allowed.
    Just be sure to train a fast draw and load before you carry that way so it will be natural should you need it for defense.


    Shameless Sig Plug: Practical Tactical Training - The Best CHL class value in Southern New Mexico. PM me for details or call 575-520-8888

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •