• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Alert 3-6-11: Johnston County Commission Says You Are Being Misinformed

senojkj

Grass Roots North Carolina, PO Box 10665, Raleigh, NC 27605, 919.664.8565, www.GRNC.org

GRNC Alert 3-6-11:
Johnston County Commission Says You Are Being Misinformed

Johnston County Commissioners are replying to emails from gun owners saying that GRNC is misinforming you. One simple thing seems to dispel this. Ask them if Revision 3 of the proposed ordinance lists firearms among the potential "noise" violations.

CONTACT JOHNSTON COUNTY NOW

Ask the commissioners if Revision 3 of the proposed ordinance lists firearms among the potential "noise" violations. If it does, then you have not been misinformed.

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED

* CALL AND E-MAIL JOHNSTON COUNTY COMMISSIONERS: See phone contacts below and use the following link for e-mail: http://www.johnstonnc.com/mainpage.cfm?category_level_id=403&content_id=1837 If you are a Johnston County resident, let them know you will hold them accountable in 2012 for what they do now. If you are a non-resident, let them know that you will be advising friends, relatives and acquaintances to avoid spending money in Johnston County. And don't forget to ask them that one question.

* CALL AND E-MAIL THE JOHNSTON COUNTY VISITOR'S BUREAU: Call 1-800-441-7829 and e-mail info@johnstoncountync.org If a resident, let them know a statewide boycott is pending if the county passes its discharge ban. If a non-resident, let them know that you will be advising friends, relatives and acquaintances to avoid spending money in Johnston County.

* HELP PACK THE COMMITTEE MEETING: On Monday, March 7, show solidarity with Johnston County gun owners by showing up at the meeting. Bring friends, bear signs, and let them know in no uncertain terms that you won't stand idle while they try to restrict gun rights. Go to: Commissioners' meeting room, Johnston County Courthouse Annex, Smithfield, NC 27577. This hearing will follow the Rezoning and Special Use Hearings and other regular business, which begins at 6:00 p.m.

COUNTY COMMISSION CONTACT INFORMATION

Chairman Allen L. Mims, Jr., 919-553-3081
Vice-Chairman Jeffrey P. Carver, 919-553-8922
Wade M. Stewart , 919-965-7500
Cookie Pope, 919-934-3662(H), 919-934-6187(W)
W. Ray Woodall, 919-965-3635(H), 919-631-3058(M)
DeVan Barbour, 919-938-2050(W), 919-621-5557(M)
Tony Braswell, 919-669-6598

----------------------

You may find your NC STATE representative by going here:
http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm

You may write your FEDERAL congressman by going here:
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

You may write your FEDERAL senators by going here:
http://www.senate.gov/

-------------------
Support these PRO RKBA merchants who, as GRNC sponsors, are supporting your Second Amendment rights:

Hyatt Gun Shop, 3332 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208, 704-394-0387, www.hyattguns.com
C & E Gun Shows, 4225 Fortress Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060; Phone 540-953-0016 or 888-715-0606; http://www.cegunshows.com/
Dixie Gun and Knife Shows, PO Box 21049, Raleigh, NC 27619, ph: 919-781-1287, www.dixiegunandknifeshow.com/
Ryan & Nina Leonard, Down South Ammo, Home of "SOUTHERN THUNDER" Exploding Targets, http://downsouthammo.com/
Duncan Gun & Pawn, 414 Second St., North Wilkesboro, NC 28659, 336-667-6303, www.duncangun.com
Shooter's Express, 2 Caldwell Dr., Belmont, NC 28012, 800-358-GUNS, www.shootersexpress.com
The Aisle Pawn Shop, 216 N. Main St., Mooresville, NC 28115, 704-663-5656
Gunner's Alley, LLC, 203 N. Harrison Ave., Ste. 130, Cary, NC 27513, www.gunnersalley.com, 919-388-1991, contact: Ed Guerriero, ed@gunnersalley.com
Patrick J. Phelan, Lake Norman Firearms, Inc., 20823 N. Main Street, Cornelius, NC 28031, www.lknfirearms.com, 704-892-7839
Vanguard Security Consulting, LLC, 19135 W. Catawba Ave, Cornelius, NC 28031
DoubleD Media, 8300 Raintree Lane, Charlotte, NC 28277, ph: 704-650-5555, fx: 704-544-0326, donna@doubledme.com

sultan62

What is the referenced statement you are rebutting? Where did they say GRNC is misinforming people? I'm on the email list, so I would've expected an email if it was any kind of official statement, so my guess is it's an offhand comment in a news article or something, and I'd like to see the link to have a little more specific knowledge.

billv

I sent this email to the commissioners;

Dear Sir: From the Herald "The noise ordinance, however, "does not clearly include the discharge of firearms," said Gray, the county planner."

I have it front of me. Section 6 clearly says Fireamrs. Either you are intentionally mis-informing people or you need a new county planner. If this passes, I will avoid spending any of my money in your county. Please reconsider.

To which Commissioner Jeff Carver replied:

"Great, we'll decrease the county budget."

Me thinks they might be getting a bit testy.

cricketdad

What is the referenced statement you are rebutting? Where did they say GRNC is misinforming people? I'm on the email list, so I would've expected an email if it was any kind of official statement, so my guess is it's an offhand comment in a news article or something, and I'd like to see the link to have a little more specific knowledge.

There is not a link. It has been in several emails that the commissioners have been sending out to people in their replies.

rosu1us

Johnston county's new gun law

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/9232248/
Smithfield, N.C. - Johnston County commissioners unanimously passed an ordinance that restricts the use of firearms on private property during a public hearing Monday.

The ordinance outlaws shooting firearms across public streets and highways or from two hours after sunset through one hour before sunrise. The new ordinance also prohibits discharging a firearm "carelessly and heedlessly," on to someone else's property without the owner's permission and while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Changes to the law were proposed after residents raised concerns about stray gunfire to county leaders. The controversial wording in the original ordinance draft - *"to ban shooting of any kind of projectile within 600 feet of a dwelling" - was eliminated from the adopted law.

Violators face a $100 fine or 30 days in jail.

NCSteveh

from what I heard it was a packed house with people against it but they passed it unanimously anyways. I think it will be an interesting election season next time around.