• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knives, tasers, stun guns, batons, mace/pepper spray, etc. in Colorado.

checkmate

Hi guys. Does anyone know what the laws are in Colorado regarding open and/or concealed carry of knives, tasers, batons, stun guns, and mace/pepper spray? If so, do you have any documentation you could provide on the issues that I could read and/or print off? I'm also curious as to what kinds of knives are and aren't allowed (such as lengths, pocket, fixed, bayonet, throwing, etc) and under what circumstances they go from being ok to not ok. I'm curious because I go to college in Colorado, but I'm originally from Alabama. As such, I spent the majority of my time in Colorado. To clarify, I don't carry any of these items on me with the exception of pocket knives. In fact, knives are the only thing on this list I currently own. I'm in the military and I want to be a Security Forces officer (the Air Force equivalent of an MP). As such, I'll receive training on pretty much everything in that list. I'm contemplating buying some or all of those items after I get that training in order to have a second means of force for those grey area situations. I'm just trying to get an idea of the laws regarding them for now so I can plan appropriately. Any help, citations, and/or feedback would be helpful and most appreciated.

Gunslinger

Hi guys. Does anyone know what the laws are in Colorado regarding open and/or concealed carry of knives, tasers, batons, stun guns, and mace/pepper spray? If so, do you have any documentation you could provide on the issues that I could read and/or print off? I'm also curious as to what kinds of knives are and aren't allowed (such as lengths, pocket, fixed, bayonet, throwing, etc) and under what circumstances they go from being ok to not ok. I'm curious because I go to college in Colorado, but I'm originally from Alabama. As such, I spent the majority of my time in Colorado. To clarify, I don't carry any of these items on me with the exception of pocket knives. In fact, knives are the only thing on this list I currently own. I'm in the military and I want to be a Security Forces officer (the Air Force equivalent of an MP). As such, I'll receive training on pretty much everything in that list. I'm contemplating buying some or all of those items after I get that training in order to have a second means of force for those grey area situations. I'm just trying to get an idea of the laws regarding them for now so I can plan appropriately. Any help, citations, and/or feedback would be helpful and most appreciated.
http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=
Knives under 3" are legal for pocket carry. Most of the other stuff--if not all, cannot be concealed even with a CCW as they could be classified as "dangerous weapons" under CRSA. I think pepper spray is ok. Google "knife law" and go to CRSA (link above) for specifics. Title 18 Article 12 if memory serves me. Also, the Colorado Forum is a better place to post subjects specific to CO.

Last edited:

checkmate

http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=
Knives under 3" are legal for pocket carry. Most of the other stuff--if not all, cannot be concealed even with a CCW as they could be classified as "dangerous weapons" under CRSA. I think pepper spray is ok. Google "knife law" and go to CRSA (link above) for specifics. Title 18 Article 12 if memory serves me. Also, the Colorado Forum is a better place to post subjects specific to CO.

Thank you very much for the site and the advice. I have a lot of research to do! I only posted here because I thought the Colorado thread was only for stories from Colorado, not advice about and I did not want to get off topic.

Gunslinger

Thank you very much for the site and the advice. I have a lot of research to do! I only posted here because I thought the Colorado thread was only for stories from Colorado, not advice about and I did not want to get off topic.

Nah. We talk about everything on the Colorado forum. Mainly about how nice it is to live in a free state.