Thread: Large Pistols?

Large Pistols?

Would, or have any of you open carried a large pistol like say, a 44 magnum Desert Eagle? Obvious issues would be size and weight, but is it overly large as to raise fear and issues of the like with the general public around you?

I am asking only out of curiosity, this is just a light-hearted question.

Ha... during huntin season I OC my S&W M 629 44 Mag Classic Hunter 6" in a drop down leg rig which makes it very easy to carry. BTW, I took an 8 pt @ 90 yds w/red dot scopewith it couple years ago. I'm sure it be ok on BGs. Normally I OC my S&W M&P 40.

Banned
    Carried a Colt .45 leg drop. Accurate, but a few drawbacks. Kept bouncing the muzzle off my knee, and it was heavy, but you get used to it, like anything else. I hated having only 6 rounds, a slower draw, longer to acquire a sight picture, especially with followup shots, longer reloading time, excess momentum on presenting, Its an outdated weapon. I can see why they invented semiautomatics. Got a few looks, it was like OCing a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGKzoo View Post
    Would, or have any of you open carried a large pistol like say, a 44 magnum Desert Eagle? Obvious issues would be size and weight, but is it overly large as to raise fear and issues of the like with the general public around you?

It would probably be noticed more often, which is not really important for me.

When I OC my EDC S&W M&P 9, not many people notice (all black). When I OC my Ruger GP100 4" in Stainless Steel or my Springfield 1911-A1 5" Loaded in Stainless Steel, more people tend to notice.

I have yet to OC my Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum 7.5" in Stainless Steel outside of hunting activities. I'm sure that it would work for my self-defense, but follow-up shots would not be as quick or easy as my EDC (which I believe is very important).

it's been a few years because of work constraints but when ever I was up north hunting I carry my 71/2'' Redhawk 44mag in a nice holster on my right leg. Once I strap it on it stays on till I get back to the cabin. So if we do into town for lunch, dinner, supplies ...etc....it stays on my leg. There's beasties in the woods in the UP that'll eat ya....hehehehehe

Also, iof you ever find the need to use a gun like this for self defense....I gotta believe that if you fired it at a punk and happen to miss it'd probably scare the bejesus out of him....just sayin.....LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	5374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0237.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	5375  
    Last edited by SlowDog; 03-07-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Many, many years ago, when I was younger (and dumber) I used to carry a Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum, with a 5.5 inch barrel. That is the largest handgun I ever want to carry.

Now I'm at the age where lighter is usually better. But, I've never had a problem packing a full size 1911, and I don't like any 1911 smaller than a Commander. Any thing less, in .45ACP has too much recoil. For me, that is.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGKzoo View Post

If you're carrying for PD, .44 mag or larger is impractical and dangerous, unless you carry downloaded rounds. Dirty Harry even said he downloaded in "Magnum Force." .44 special is a good round in a 629 or the like. Personally, while I OC my 6 1/2" Blackhawk .44 Mag when taking it target shooting, I truly hope I don't have to use it. I have no problem shooting it, but a .45ACP is a FAR better defensive round against 2 legged predators. So is a .357. Why carry anything bigger and risk over penetration and slow follow-up shots? As to how it looks to the general public, whogas. Also, I don't like carrying a brick on my belt.