Thread: Ammo laws

Ammo laws

Can anyone please assist me with this Question is there any restriction on possesing Federal Hydra shok ammo in the state of North Carolinia any help with this would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Kind of an indirect answer...I havn't seen Federal boxes that said 'Hydra Shok' in a while, but their "Personal Defense" line is the same bullets. I don't know if this helps you, but just my $0.02 worth.
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

No, it is not illegal.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no type of ammunition banned by state law in NC, and I would be extremely surprised if I hadn't come across it.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

My LGS had 5 boxes of 9mm Black Talons the other week. If he is keeping those out, then everything else should be good right. And no, he's not selling them. He bought them from a customer. I held a box, I'm probably lucky to have survived the encounter.

I've never come across anything that bans a specific ammo in NC, FWIW.

IMO, there's no benefit to the BTs over the current Ranger Ts. Certainly not enough of a difference to justify the amount most charge for the BTs.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

The only real difference was the Teflon-like coating, if I remember correctly, which has been removed after the Brady Bunch went wild over them a decade or two ago.

I did find this though, from the NC Firearms Gun Laws pdf packet released by the AG's office (2007 version)

E. Teflon-Coated Bullets
    Pursuant to North Carolina General Statute § 14-34.3, it is unlawful for any
    person to import, manufacture, possess, store, transport, sell, offer to sell, purchase,
    offer to purchase, deliver or give to another, or acquire any Teflon-coated bullet. This
    prohibition does not apply to the following:
    1. officers and soldiers of the United States Armed Forces, when in the
    discharge of their official duties;
    2. officers and soldiers of the Militia, when being called into actual service;
    3. officers of the state, or county, city or town, charged with the execution of
    laws of the state, when acting in the discharge of their official duties;
    4. importers, manufacturers, and dealers validly licensed under the laws of the
    United States or the State of North Carolina who possess, for the purpose
    of sale to authorized law enforcement agencies only; and
    5. inventors, designers, ordinance consultants and researchers, chemists,
    physicists, and other persons employed by or under contract with a
    manufacturing company engaged in making or doing research designed to
    enlarge knowledge of, or to facilitate the creation, development, or
    manufacture of more effective police-type body armor.
    The actual statute is here:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascript...tatute=14-34.3

NC law does not address Federal Hydra Shok ammo specifically that I am aware of.

Thank you for all the help it was really helpful.

well, considering the Black Talon rounds were Moly coated and NOT Teflon coated as previously suggested, there is no question as to their legality. They were pulled from the shelves by Winchester to quell the media's misinformation campaign, which caused a subsequent public uproar. They were later reintroduced as the "Ranger T" line of ammunition, which is, by the way, Black Talon ammunition without the "scary" black Moly coating. Just FYI...
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six..."

[ Kyd: "I think I'm gonna have "13 1/2" tattooed on my shoulder..."

Me: "Why the hell would you do that?"

Kyd: "Thats one judge, 12 jurors, and a half a chance I'm gonna get off..." ]

Quote Originally Posted by J_Oliver View Post
    well, considering the Black Talon rounds were Moly coated and NOT Teflon coated as previously suggested, there is no question as to their legality. They were pulled from the shelves by Winchester to quell the media's misinformation campaign, which caused a subsequent public uproar. They were later reintroduced as the "Ranger T" line of ammunition, which is, by the way, Black Talon ammunition without the "scary" black Moly coating. Just FYI...
    Yeah, that's why I phrased it as "Teflon-like" lol.

That whole scene really made asses out of people, and laws. In the rush to get them outlawed there was some pretty hasty legislation that was passed back then. Some states even mention "Black Talon" by name, hence Winchester's decision to modify them slightly and reintroduce them under a new name.

I carry Federal HydraShoks in my Para and in my Glock (both .45acp) all summer long, and have done so for years, in several states (WV, PA, VA, NC, OH, etc)

I carry Winchester PDX-1's in the winter (they don't clog up as much as the HydraShoks when penetrating multiple layers of clothing, like winter coats, and so are better suited for cold-weather situations)...

The only ammo that is illegal in NC is exploding rounds and teflon-coated rounds, NEITHER of which are available to the general public anyway. And exploding rounds are considered "Class III destructive devices", and require a "Class III tax stamp" to purchase and possess. I doubt anyone on this forum could afford to carry them for self-defense. Those would be some PRICEY rounds, at $200+ each...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964