• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo laws

GOOSEKILLER

Can anyone please assist me with this Question is there any restriction on possesing Federal Hydra shok ammo in the state of North Carolinia any help with this would be greatly appreciated. thank you

mark-in-texas

Kind of an indirect answer...I havn't seen Federal boxes that said 'Hydra Shok' in a while, but their "Personal Defense" line is the same bullets. I don't know if this helps you, but just my $0.02 worth.

sultan62

No, it is not illegal.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no type of ammunition banned by state law in NC, and I would be extremely surprised if I hadn't come across it.

chiefjason

My LGS had 5 boxes of 9mm Black Talons the other week. If he is keeping those out, then everything else should be good right. And no, he's not selling them. He bought them from a customer. I held a box, I'm probably lucky to have survived the encounter.

I've never come across anything that bans a specific ammo in NC, FWIW.

sultan62

IMO, there's no benefit to the BTs over the current Ranger Ts. Certainly not enough of a difference to justify the amount most charge for the BTs.

rotorhead

The only real difference was the Teflon-like coating, if I remember correctly, which has been removed after the Brady Bunch went wild over them a decade or two ago.

I did find this though, from the NC Firearms Gun Laws pdf packet released by the AG's office (2007 version)

E. Teflon-Coated Bullets
Pursuant to North Carolina General Statute § 14-34.3, it is unlawful for any
person to import, manufacture, possess, store, transport, sell, offer to sell, purchase,
offer to purchase, deliver or give to another, or acquire any Teflon-coated bullet. This
prohibition does not apply to the following:
1. officers and soldiers of the United States Armed Forces, when in the
discharge of their official duties;
2. officers and soldiers of the Militia, when being called into actual service;
3. officers of the state, or county, city or town, charged with the execution of
laws of the state, when acting in the discharge of their official duties;
4. importers, manufacturers, and dealers validly licensed under the laws of the
United States or the State of North Carolina who possess, for the purpose
of sale to authorized law enforcement agencies only; and
5. inventors, designers, ordinance consultants and researchers, chemists,
physicists, and other persons employed by or under contract with a
manufacturing company engaged in making or doing research designed to
enlarge knowledge of, or to facilitate the creation, development, or
manufacture of more effective police-type body armor.

The actual statute is here:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=14-34.3

NC law does not address Federal Hydra Shok ammo specifically that I am aware of.

J_Oliver

well, considering the Black Talon rounds were Moly coated and NOT Teflon coated as previously suggested, there is no question as to their legality. They were pulled from the shelves by Winchester to quell the media's misinformation campaign, which caused a subsequent public uproar. They were later reintroduced as the "Ranger T" line of ammunition, which is, by the way, Black Talon ammunition without the "scary" black Moly coating. Just FYI...

rotorhead

well, considering the Black Talon rounds were Moly coated and NOT Teflon coated as previously suggested, there is no question as to their legality. They were pulled from the shelves by Winchester to quell the media's misinformation campaign, which caused a subsequent public uproar. They were later reintroduced as the "Ranger T" line of ammunition, which is, by the way, Black Talon ammunition without the "scary" black Moly coating. Just FYI...

Yeah, that's why I phrased it as "Teflon-like" lol.

That whole scene really made asses out of people, and laws. In the rush to get them outlawed there was some pretty hasty legislation that was passed back then. Some states even mention "Black Talon" by name, hence Winchester's decision to modify them slightly and reintroduce them under a new name.

Dreamer

I carry Federal HydraShoks in my Para and in my Glock (both .45acp) all summer long, and have done so for years, in several states (WV, PA, VA, NC, OH, etc)

I carry Winchester PDX-1's in the winter (they don't clog up as much as the HydraShoks when penetrating multiple layers of clothing, like winter coats, and so are better suited for cold-weather situations)...

The only ammo that is illegal in NC is exploding rounds and teflon-coated rounds, NEITHER of which are available to the general public anyway. And exploding rounds are considered "Class III destructive devices", and require a "Class III tax stamp" to purchase and possess. I doubt anyone on this forum could afford to carry them for self-defense. Those would be some PRICEY rounds, at $200+ each...