• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about requesting 911 calls/police reports when your city is staffed by SO

dadada

I live in Edgewood, and it has it's own police department, but it's staffed by contract with Pierce county sheriffs. They drive our city's cop cars, but are badged and patched PCSO. The only one that might be a city hire is the chief, but I'm not sure. Do I do a records request for 911 calls and police records through Edgewood or the sheriffs office?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I live in Edgewood, and it has it's own police department, but it's staffed by contract with Pierce county sheriffs. They drive our city's cop cars, but are badged and patched PCSO. The only one that might be a city hire is the chief, but I'm not sure. Do I do a records request for 911 calls and police records through Edgewood or the sheriffs office?

Both. You will find a records FOI request can be done through any entity and they will have to respond.

You can call Edgewood and find out who is contracted as well. Could be LESA.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Both. You will find a records FOI request can be done through any entity and they will have to respond.

You can call Edgewood and find out who is contracted as well. Could be LESA.

Ding Ding Ding Ding we have a winner for that chicken dinner!!

http://www.lesa.net/

In addition to serving the citizens of Pierce County, Wash., the Law Enforcement Support Agency (LESA) supports the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department and the police departments for Tacoma, Lakewood, University Place, Edgewood, Bonney Lake, DuPont, Fircrest, Gig Harbor, Puyallup, Roy, Ruston, Steilacoom and Sumner.

Several towns and cities in Pierce County contract with LESA to provide a range of services – from 9-1-1 and police dispatch, to records management and information technology.​

Public Records Requests

Requests for public records are processed at LESA Records. The Public Records Request Form can be completed online.

Your completed form will be reviewed in accordance with Public Disclosure Laws and LESA's Public Records Act policy. Please be aware that this process may take 15 or more business days, depending on the status and complexity of the record. You will be notified by mail when this review is complete.

There will be a $.15 per page fee on all copies. Sorry, no personal checks, debit or credit cards can be accepted.

Defendants or their attorneys wishing to obtain a copy of a report for an active case should contact the Tacoma, Lakewood or Pierce County Prosecutor, depending in which court the case is filed. Requests may be denied based upon applicable law, including but not limited to Criminal Court Rule 4.7(h)(3) and Public Disclosure Laws.​

Last edited:

dadada

Another question, if I may. No charge to just review the documentation, correct? The form really isn't clear if you pay 15 cents a page if you just look at it if you "make an appointment to review". Also, I want to make a request for any records during a specific period. Is that possible, or do you have to have actual dates? I want any police/emergency response records for police and EMT responses to a neighbors home for the past year. When he's out of jail, the cops and EMT are at his house multiple times during the week, so it's virtually impossible to have dates and times.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Another question, if I may. No charge to just review the documentation, correct? The form really isn't clear if you pay 15 cents a page if you just look at it if you "make an appointment to review". Also, I want to make a request for any records during a specific period. Is that possible, or do you have to have actual dates? I want any police/emergency response records for police and EMT responses to a neighbors home for the past year. When he's out of jail, the cops and EMT are at his house multiple times during the week, so it's virtually impossible to have dates and times.

The more information you can provide the quicker you will receive it or less likely to be told they are unable to located it.
Give them as much as you can, and I have only had to pay $1.00 thus far for a CD of audio.

If the paper reaches a large amount I would expect a charge but they have contacted me ahead of time and expressed the cost if any.