Thread: 18 Yr old open carry handgun (Maybe) Bad Idea?

18 Yr old open carry handgun (Maybe) Bad Idea?

I've never open carried before so I was wondering: would it be a bad idea for someone as young as me to OC? i GUESS at 18 years of age you can buy a handgun from a private dealer so i might consider this. id mainly OC at night while I'm jogging.
    Last edited by str3ngthz; 03-07-2011 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Mistake? Probably not

Quote Originally Posted by str3ngthz View Post
    I've never open carried before so I was wondering: would it be a bad idea for someone as young as me to OC? i GUESS at 18 years of age you can buy a handgun from a private dealer so i might consider this. id mainly OC at night while I'm jogging.
    The law for under 21 carry is ARS 13-3102.B.3 . I reccomend reading it rather than seeking opinoins in an online forum.

However, since you broached the subject. Yes, you can open carry between 18-21, but please remember, how YOU look and behave can determine how successful future changes to Arizona's gun laws can be for 18-21 year olds.

If you are under 21, follow the law and carry like a professional. Spend money on a good holster. Dress like a geek, cover the ink and take out the shrapnel (piercings). You are a cop magnet carrying a gun. Please remember that you represent ALL under 21 gun toters when you carry.

Fred
    Last edited by azcdlfred; 03-07-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    The law for under 21 carry is ARS 13-3102.B.3 . I reccomend reading it rather than seeking opinoins in an online forum.

However, since you breeched the subject. Yes, you can open carry between 18-21, but please remember, how YOU look and behave can determine how successful future changes to Arizona's gun laws can be for 18-21 year olds.

If you are under 21, follow the law and carry like a professional. Spend money on a good holster. Dress like a geek, cover the ink and take out the shrapnel (piercings). You are a cop magnet carrying a gun. Please remember that you represent ALL under 21 gun toters when you carry.

Fred
    Thanks for the info. For some reason I can't find much info about AZ OC/CC laws on the internet, so I appreciate your insight. Bye

Thanks for the info. For some reason I can't find much info about AZ OC/CC laws on the internet, so I appreciate your insight. Bye
    Not to restate the obvious, but the last place I would look for advice is from Internet searches and forums, UNLESS you are looking up the actual statutes or the court cases interpreting them.

If you want to keep up to date on changes to Arizona's gun laws, I recommend joining AzCDL. Check out our website for lots of other good stuff.

However, even non-members can follow AzCDL's progress via our public Alerts list.

Fred

No such thing as a private dealer, either. You're either a dealer (in which case you are subject to the same requirements as all other FFL holders), or you're a private seller, in which case you can sell a gun the same as you would sell your old couch on craigslist or backpage.

It is not illegal for you to buy from a private seller, but based on your first couple of posts here it sounds like you need to do a LOT more reading and researching before you do so.

What made you change your mind from carrying a rifle while jogging to carrying a pistol while jogging? It doesn't sound like you've put a lot of thought into your self-defense strategy yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post

What made you change your mind from carrying a rifle while jogging to carrying a pistol while jogging? It doesn't sound like you've put a lot of thought into your self-defense strategy yet.

sounds like a troll to me...

Quote Originally Posted by ehewitt1990 View Post
    sounds like a troll to me...
    Me too. Jog out here at night 'n you'd get eaten... by something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    Me too. Jog out here at night 'n you'd get eaten... by something.

even in the middle of phx.

Yeah, it's either a troll or someone who knows nothing about guns/gun laws in AZ. As seen with his previous thread about running with a shotgun/rifle.

Never heard of a ""Sapin", Arizona" either for a location. His previous thread said he was from "Oro Valley, Arizona on the wealthier side of town".
    Last edited by Grimes; 03-09-2011 at 11:23 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by ehewitt1990 View Post
    even in the middle of phx.
    I'm not the only person out walking late at night (11pm-4am). Animal attacks are not uncommon out here and I really don't wanna risk getting chowed on when walking, thats why I was considering OC'ing.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attack

Not mature enough for forums, probably not mature enough to even be thinking about firearms..

.....and he moves to insults. Yeah I agree VW_Factor. May not be mature enough at the moment. He's one of the reasons that makes our age group look bad.

str3ngthz, if your really serious about OCing. First, learn to be more polite. Second, have you ever owned a firearm before or been taught safety with one (also how to even fire one) and how to properly clean and maintain one? If not, take some safety classes on firearms and read the ARS (Arizona Revised Statutes).
    Last edited by Grimes; 03-11-2011 at 08:22 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just want to say that a even though a gun is a gun and some of the safe handling principles are the same, carrying a rifle is not the same as carrying a hand gun. i believe that you have the right just like all of us to carry but the difference is your age so you do have to be more mature and professional if you want to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimes View Post
    .....and he moves to insults. Yeah I agree VW_Factor. May not be mature enough at the moment. He's one of the reasons that makes our age group look bad.

str3ngthz, if your really serious about OCing. First, learn to be more polite. Second, have you ever owned a firearm before or been taught safety with one (also how to even fire one) and how to properly clean and maintain one? If not, take some safety classes on firearms and read the ARS (Arizona Revised Statutes).
    Never owned one, seen one, held one, fired one

Quote Originally Posted by Alude904 View Post
    Just want to say that a even though a gun is a gun and some of the safe handling principles are the same, carrying a rifle is not the same as carrying a hand gun. i believe that you have the right just like all of us to carry but the difference is your age so you do have to be more mature and professional if you want to carry.
    Makes a lot of sense thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
    No such thing as a private dealer, either. You're either a dealer (in which case you are subject to the same requirements as all other FFL holders), or you're a private seller, in which case you can sell a gun the same as you would sell your old couch on craigslist or backpage.

It is not illegal for you to buy from a private seller, but based on your first couple of posts here it sounds like you need to do a LOT more reading and researching before you do so.

Thanks for the info. Do you think a public library will have all of the information regarding AZ gun laws and OC laws? Just wondering.

Thanks for the info. Do you think a public library will have all of the information regarding AZ gun laws and OC laws? Just wondering.
    Your best free source of Arizona gun laws is this document.

If you want to see what CCW Instructors teach (another good source), the Instructor manual is here.

The best commericial source is here. I recommend buying the book.

As far as training, spend money on at least an NRA class.

Don't listen to your buddies. When it comes to gun handling, they're probably morons. Most guys learn to shoot from watching television. They have no idea how to hold a gun, or how to acquire target alignment or sight alignment, and believe the trigger is a hand exercise device that they need to squeeze as hard and fast as possible (That's where all those bullet holes in the bottom of target stands at the range come from).

Fred
    Last edited by azcdlfred; 03-12-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Fred provided a better answer.
    Last edited by TOF; 03-12-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Fred provided a better answer
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

http://www.azleg.gov/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp

Relevant statutes are titles 13 and 4.

http://uscode.house.gov/

I have no idea how to find the relevant code in all that excess.

Laws in the library may be outdated. Luckily most (all?) of the current laws are looser. Thank you AZCDL!

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    The link provided by Fred in post 2 is where you need to do your research.
    Much of what you find in the library will be outdated.
    You beat me. I have two text conversations going, an IM screen up, and kids driving me crazy! lol

I live up in the Tortolita foothills, and I was reading an article in the Northwest Explorer awhile back about a rabies cycle. What apparently happens is rabies cases peak every so often, and then there's a huge die-off and the cycle begins again.

As someone who walks between 11 and 4am many nights, I can say that I encounter wildlife frequently:

(a) Mostly javelina (who people tell me aren't supposed to be nocturnal) but I see them all the time on Moore Road, generally around midnight to 1:00 am. Mostly they look at me curiously, but not enough to run. If they're chomping some prickly pear, they'll go right on doing that, watching me casually. Javelina have balls.

(b) Coyotes, who are more nervous.

(c) A shocking amount of rodents.

As for A and B, I encounter them frequently enough (one out of every four nights) that the thought of one of them being rabid bothers me.

I don't really worry about human beings as I almost never encounter any of them (except for police), but the point is, night is a good time to carry, just in case.
    Last edited by crisisweasel; 03-17-2011 at 04:45 PM.