• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just purchased a Smith & Wesson Model M&P 45 Pistol

Gunslinger

IDPA considers glocks DA, as does glock.

I dont agree, but thats what they say, lol. I'de give them 1 1/2 action maybe

If you have to work the slide in any manner to "recock" it's not DA. I know they call the "safety" trigger DA, but true DA fires every time you pull the trigger. Taurus uses "second strike" which sounds cooler and is truly SA/DA even though striker fired. Funny thing about the 24/7 is that I prefer the DA pull to the SA pull. Very smooth, if a little long. The SA is too gritty, but then I'm used to SIG 1911s.

Last edited:

AaronS

If you have to work the slide in any manner to "recock" it's not DA. I know they call the "safety" trigger DA, but true DA fires every time you pull the trigger. Taurus uses "second strike" which sounds cooler and is truly SA/DA even though striker fired. Funny thing about the 24/7 is that I prefer the DA pull to the SA pull. Very smooth, if a little long. The SA is too gritty, but then I'm used to SIG 1911s.

If this is all true then I have to change my opinion of the M&P. With out that second primer hit (true DA) I would not carry one. If you have to rack the slide to get the "hammer" to hit the round again, it is not DA at all. The only non DA guns I carry are 1911.
Hey $.02 is just 2 cents...

rotorhead

If this is all true then I have to change my opinion of the M&P. With out that second primer hit (true DA) I would not carry one. If you have to rack the slide to get the "hammer" to hit the round again, it is not DA at all. The only non DA guns I carry are 1911.
Hey $.02 is just 2 cents...

I can see that. On the other hand, if it fails to fire the first time I want to rack it again to clear the round out for a fresh one anyway. If it didn't go bang the first time, I want it out of there to give another round a chance to make me proud.

I understand wanting to give it another chance by simply pulling the trigger though like a true DA should let you, though.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

My Smith & Wesson SW99 is striker fired and DA/SA. It has a decocker and no manual safety. It's smooth in both modes because I disassembled the mechanism and fluffed & buffed some sharp edges and rough spots.

Yeah, that's the bastard child of Smith and Walther. Nice gun, but I believe they copied the Taurus mechanism--including the decocker to move to "DA" mode. Nothing wrong with copying a good design. Can't think of any other striker fired that have 2nd shot capability. Glock's design is so old, why change it.? Plus, it works pretty well and hard primers on quality centerfire ammo are quite rare.

Optimus Prime

If a centerfire cartridge fails to go bang when struck, chances are hitting it again won't fix it. I'd rather get a fresh round in the tube than get in the habit of simply pulling the trigger over and over. Unless we're talking DA revolver...

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
No bastards here....

Yeah, that's the bastard child of Smith and Walther.....Nice gun, but I believe they copied the Taurus mechanism
On the contrary, it's been a happy marriage since 1999, the same year I got my SW99... no bastards here. In fact, S&W is also the US distributor for Walther to this day.

The Walther P99 that the SW99 is based on was designed between 1993 and 1996 by Horst Wesp and first produced in 1997. The Taurus 24/7 was first produced in 2004.

LOERetired

Smith & Wesson Model M&P 45 Pistol

Picked up my new Smith & Wesson Model M&P 45 Pistol today at 2:30 pm, it is sweeeeeet se ya at the annual meeting……..

Don

Fast Ed

I have a .45 compact. So far no laser grips are available. I mounted a laser on it that takes the place of the rear sight. Very small and more in-line with the bore. I like everything about this pistol. It may take the place of my 6.45 LDA when I carry out of state. X-grip will have an adaptor to use the full size mags in the compact .45 soon. They already have one for the 9mm compact version.

I think I may have to get a 9mm compact for my wife. She needs a good carry gun.

Fast Ed