• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just purchased a Smith & Wesson Model M&P 45 Pistol

LOERetired

I Just purchased a Smith & Wesson Model M&P 45 Pistol and pick it up this Tuesday afternoon, anyone else have the same? seems like a good pistol, the grip is really comfortable, and I can get Crimson Trace Laser sights for the Grip, which i like because it is built in, not an external lazer. Any comments? Cant wait to shoot it now.........

Don

Blk97F150

I Just purchased a Smith & Wesson Model M&P 45 Pistol and pick it up this Tuesday afternoon, anyone else have the same? seems like a good pistol, the grip is really comfortable, and I can get Crimson Trace Laser sights for the Grip, which i like because it is built in, not an external lazer. Any comments? Cant wait to shoot it now.........

Don

Congrats. I don't have the .45 (yet.... :D ), but I do have a M&P .40 (with an additional .357Sig barrel). Great handgun. It fits my hand well and shoots great. I think you'll be happy with it. After you put some rounds through it, let us know what you think....

M

McX

i think you should return to the gun store immediately, it's obviously an errant transaction if you didnt buy one for me!

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
I have the full size 9 and the 45C. The total fire power is the same for each, applying the formula 2X9 = 45 :banana:
Both great guns, especially after you run a couple hundred rounds through them. Rather than messing with the take down tool in the grip I use an eyeglass screwdriver. Be sure to follow the instructions regarding the little take down lever in the mag well.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245598

Last edited:

Elysium

I have the M&P .40 I like it. Just remember without a mag you cant fire a round in the chamber. I belive its that way on all M&P pistols

gunguy2009

Great Gun! I have an M&P .40 and I actually just bought a 2nd one 2 weeks ago. I have never ever had a single misfire, jam, stovepipe, or any other malfunction... I would most definately trust my life to it, and it is my carry gun. I'm sure you will enjoy this handgun as much as I do. Btw, if you do use the take down tool in the grip, make sure you slide it ALL THE WAY UP into its hole before locking it into place, I will turn itself into place if not seated right, but it wears the notch off.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
I have the M&P .40 I like it. Just remember without a mag you cant fire a round in the chamber. I belive its that way on all M&P pistols

Mine you can. I think the "mag safety" is required by some states. Something to consider as you travel between states if you have a multi-state reciprocity carry permit.

rotorhead

Actually, the exact opposite is true. The gun will fire with the magazine removed. If you get confused, read the white lettering on the right side of your slide- "Caution: capable of firing with magazine removed" :)

oldschool

Actually, the exact opposite is true. The gun will fire with the magazine removed. If you get confused, read the white lettering on the right side of your slide- "Caution: capable of firing with magazine removed" :)

They are offered both ways
Mine has the mag safty I actually like having it when performing the Wisconsin vehicle transport shuffle several times a day

AaronS

Don

I can't say much for the M&P, as I am not a fan of guns without an exposed hammer. I will say that I do like the fact that this gun is a double action, hope you never need it, but it could save you some day. Everything I have read about the M&P line looks good.
I also am a big fan of Crimson Trace Laser sights. I got it on a .38 Spl. and a .45 ACP. I keep them set for close targets (about 15-20 feet). At that range, I don't need to get the gun to eye level to be able to hit my target. I do wish the grips were in green laser, but I guess we have to wait a little longer for that...

rotorhead

They are offered both ways
Mine has the mag safty I actually like having it when performing the Wisconsin vehicle transport shuffle several times a day

Ahh my mistake.

I haven't seen any of those versions down this way. Y'all up there must get the special treatment sorta like California.

rotorhead

lol

Well, I don't mean to make light of a bad situation. Sorry about that. Some of that stuff just seems so foreign to me, that's all.

More toward the OP- grats on the M&P. I have the .40 cal version and it's been a flawless gun thus far. Great for every day carry, shoots well, fits well, easily cleaned, no issues whatsoever with feeding, etc.

I haven't shot the .45 version yet but I can imagine that it's just as good. Have fun with it.

oldschool

lol

Well, I don't mean to make light of a bad situation. Sorry about that. Some of that stuff just seems so foreign to me, that's all.

No offense taken

To be clear the mag safety is not a requirement in Wisconsin.
I just like the feature because we have to unload and incase every time we enter a vehicle.

Last edited:

Optimus Prime

I will say that I do like the fact that this gun is a double action...

Getting technical about it, the M&Ps are actually single-action striker fired guns. The slide must be racked to re-cock it.

I switched to an M&P9 full size with thumb safeties last fall. I've put at least 1000+ rounds through it of various ammos and only had two failures, and those were with the cheapest steel cased rounds I've used (so 99% certain it wasn't the gun's fault.) I like the incredibly low bore hight and interchangeable grip sizes, and the increase mag capacity over my previous carry gun is a welcome thing. They are fantastic guns, and they've built up quite a following in the few years they've been out.

Gunslinger

I can't say much for the M&P, as I am not a fan of guns without an exposed hammer. I will say that I do like the fact that this gun is a double action, hope you never need it, but it could save you some day. Everything I have read about the M&P line looks good.
I also am a big fan of Crimson Trace Laser sights. I got it on a .38 Spl. and a .45 ACP. I keep them set for close targets (about 15-20 feet). At that range, I don't need to get the gun to eye level to be able to hit my target. I do wish the grips were in green laser, but I guess we have to wait a little longer for that...

They are striker fired, so not DA. The only striker fired pistols that are DA are made by Taurus, like my 24-7 OSS. That being said, I agree with you on liking an external hammer. That's why I carry 1911s or my Hi-Power. Still, the M&P is a fine weapon and I would have bought one in .45ACP had it offered the "second strike" capability of the 24/7. Like all Smiths, well made, 100% reliable and good capacity in .45. I have a SIG Lite laser/light that fits perfectly on the rail of the 24/7 or my full sized SIG 1911 rail model. While I'm more accurate with iron sights, a laser when you hear a noise at 2 AM is very comforting--especially with a 130 lumen strobe.

Elysium

Yeah I have a model that cannot fire without a mag and has no little white letters. My S&W bodyguard 380 does however have those letters. I belive the mag safety was made for LEOs to be able to eject the mag in case of a struggle. Id rather be able to fire without a mag. that is my only complaint about the M&P that I have.

Last edited:

apierce918

They are striker fired, so not DA. The only striker fired pistols that are DA are made by Taurus, like my 24-7 OSS. That being said, I agree with you on liking an external hammer. That's why I carry 1911s or my Hi-Power. Still, the M&P is a fine weapon and I would have bought one in .45ACP had it offered the "second strike" capability of the 24/7. Like all Smiths, well made, 100% reliable and good capacity in .45. I have a SIG Lite laser/light that fits perfectly on the rail of the 24/7 or my full sized SIG 1911 rail model. While I'm more accurate with iron sights, a laser when you hear a noise at 2 AM is very comforting--especially with a 130 lumen strobe.

IDPA considers glocks DA, as does glock.

I dont agree, but thats what they say, lol. I'de give them 1 1/2 action maybe