• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Using Wikipedia to Our Advantage

Nevada carrier

I propose that when ever we encounter an Open Carry Friendly business or especially when we encounter an Open carry hostile or unfriendly business we add that information to their Wikipedia page.

To do this effectively, the information added must be cited with as many accurate references as possible and written as professionally and concisely as possible in a non-slanderous way. While attending the NASCAR race yesterday at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, signage was prominently posted indicating a "no weapons Policy." I knew this to be the case before I went to the track so I was carrying concealed for the event. but I added pertinent information to their Wikipedia page to explain what Nevada law has to say about the matter. Take a look at it here.

eye95

Starting a wiki for such a purpose would be useful. Usurping Wikipedia to this end will simply result in edit wars with us looking like the folks trying to trash articles for our selfish reasons, while those who yank out the stuff we put in looking like people involved in a protection and restoration effort.

Nevada carrier

Starting a wiki for such a purpose would be useful. Usurping Wikipedia to this end will simply result in edit wars with us looking like the folks trying to trash articles for our selfish reasons, while those who yank out the stuff we put in looking like people involved in a protection and restoration effort.

I'm assuming you mean creating a whole wiki site like the Internet Movie Firearms Data Base? I'm on board with that, but I wouldn't know where to begin. Perhaps we can collaborate? The reason I suggested Wikipedia was because we know it gets hits, but yes, the back and forth edit war is a concern.

eye95

Yes, I meant a separate wiki. The purpose would be a repository of information for those who exercise the RKBA, not for advocacy. Using Wikipedia would be seen as an advocacy effort--which will be resisted, making the resistors look more reasonable than us.

No, I wouldn't know how to start one.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I propose that when ever we encounter an Open Carry Friendly business or especially when we encounter an Open carry hostile or unfriendly business we add that information to their Wikipedia page.

To do this effectively, the information added must be cited with as many accurate references as possible and written as professionally and concisely as possible in a non-slanderous way. While attending the NASCAR race yesterday at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, signage was prominently posted indicating a "no weapons Policy." I knew this to be the case before I went to the track so I was carrying concealed for the event. but I added pertinent information to their Wikipedia page to explain what Nevada law has to say about the matter. Take a look at it here.

Unfortunately, it's already been reverted, with an erroneous statement that "most places" don't allow firearms.

But I agree with NASCAR1996 that it is irrelevant to the article. Now, if there were a section on "What to know if/when you visit" that includes directions, prices, and other speedway rules, you might find it relevant.