• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Carry in Janesville

gunguy2009

I have carried a few times now in Janesville expecting to be asked about it. I havent had a single problem carrying there! I have been looked at by Managers, employees, and customers many times, but have never been stopped. I expected Janesville to be a lil more jumpy with the OC thing, But I think I have been proved wrong...

kawisixer01

I've carried there a number of times. I don't go to wally world too often though. Try not to. About the only place i've had trouble in Janesville is menards. They asked me to leave after i'd picked up about half a cart full of stuff, watched me leave (including unload and encase outside the vehicle) and then proceeded to call the police and tell them I jumped in my truck without unloading or encasing. The police then sent four cars to my house and called my cell phone when I didn't answer the door. Then sent those four cop cars and a sargeant in a tahoe to culver's to interrupt my lunch. I haven't ever returned to menards since. Nik got clarification from the manager that they do allow carry, but they have never made an effort to appologize for basically filing a false police report and embarrasing me by my neighbors gossiping about why I had half the janesville PD pounding on my door. I look at it like I do Farm and Fleet. There is plenty of competition that is fine with me carrying that my money spends just as good at.

oldschool

I've carried there a number of times. I don't go to wally world too often though. Try not to. About the only place i've had trouble in Janesville is menards. They asked me to leave after i'd picked up about half a cart full of stuff, watched me leave (including unload and encase outside the vehicle) and then proceeded to call the police and tell them I jumped in my truck without unloading or encasing. The police then sent four cars to my house and called my cell phone when I didn't answer the door. Then sent those four cop cars and a sargeant in a tahoe to culver's to interrupt my lunch. I haven't ever returned to menards since. Nik got clarification from the manager that they do allow carry, but they have never made an effort to appologize for basically filing a false police report and embarrasing me by my neighbors gossiping about why I had half the janesville PD pounding on my door. I look at it like I do Farm and Fleet. There is plenty of competition that is fine with me carrying that my money spends just as good at.

It has been my experience with the Janesville police dept( dont know the position of each individual officer) that they dont like firearms in the hands of lowly serfs.

rcav8r

I went to the Janesville Menards after the meet n' greet last month, and carried. I had one clerk ask if he could help me, and that was about the interaction I got with the staff until checkout.

kawisixer01

I met them outside when i saw them pull up at culvers as to not disturb the meals of the other guests dining. I then asked them what the heck this was all supposed to be about, informed them that I really didn't appreciate my lunch being disturbed and also felt thier response to the report of someone doing something perfectly legal was a little overboard and undue. They started in with that they had recieved a mwag report from menards and asked if I was that mwag. I replied that I don't know if I was "THAT man" as open carry is legal and I may not have been the only mwag that happened to be carrying at that store. They then stated that my vehicle matched that of the description and plate reported. They asked if I had visited menards and I stated that although my travels while doing legal actions was none of their business that yes I had indeed visited menards and been asked to leave. They then stated that the person reporting had stated that I hopped in my vehicle without unloading and encasing. I replied that I was well versed in the laws as they apply to open carry and transportation of firearms, and that their report was false. Furthermore that if the store surveilance caught my license plate it sure as hell should have caught me unloading and casing. Then they wanted to see the gun and I said sure go ahead and look in the back window, it's on the rear drivers side seat in it's case. Of course then they wanted proof that I had unloaded it so I obliged and opened the door, they got a little nervouse and asked me to back away from the case, wanting to open it. Like a dumb ass I allowed them to open the case where they proceeded to removed the gun from the case (still sitting on the back seat...violating the very law they were accusing me of violating!). They racked the slide and I told them they didn't have to do that as there is a loaded chamber indicater on the top of the slide that would have shown them without racking, it if they would have asked or were actually familiar with guns they might have known that. They then ran the numbers on the gun without asking me. Early on in the interaction three of the cops stated they obviously didn't need to be there and drove off. The beat cop that stayed was halfway decent, but the sargeant was a complete ass, talking about how he didn't agree with open carrying and such. I pretty much told him maybe he shoulda went to law school and became a judge or legislator so he could decide and create law, rather than be a tool of the government to enforce it and that really his personal "opinion" has no bearing on the laws as written. His sworn job is to enforce them. He got pissy and the other guy got the repsonse he was looking for on the radio. They both told me to enjoy my day and went on their way.

kawisixer01

So Farm & Fleet is indeed Not gun friendly then eh?

As far as I know they do not allow open carry in any of their stores and have a written policy against it.The last e-mail I got from Nik I believe stated that F&F was sticking to their policy. There was quite the storm of letters on their facebook page from people stating that they would no longer be shopping there. I have not been back since.

Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
YES, Farm & Fleet is NOT your friend

So Farm & Fleet is indeed Not gun friendly then eh?
Farm & Fleet does indeed have a "no firearms" policy, checked and verified. According to them, you don't need to carry there because, "no one has ever been assaulted IN their store." However, in December of 2010, a handicapped individual WAS assaulted IN THEIR PARKING LOT, in Madison.

IF you know anyone who works there, encourage them to find other employment!
IF you know anyone who shops there, encourage them to take their business elsewhere.

I also encourage you to regularly post NICE (Sorry you lost my business) messages on their FB page.

Also take note, it is "Blain's Farm & Fleet." that doesn't trust the customer, Mill's Fleet Farm is A-OK with carry."

Carry On

MKEgal

kawisixer01 said:
I met them outside
More witnesses inside.

they had recieved a mwag report from menards
So they went to Culver's instead? Makes perfect sense. :eek:
Almost as much sense as going to Menard's, watching the video of you shopping, being asked to leave, leaving, unloading, encasing, etc., then bothering you anyway.
And what's with the banging on your door, calling your cell, & following you to lunch?

the person reporting had stated that I hopped in my vehicle without unloading and encasing
So they went back & charged that person w/ filing a false report, right?

they wanted to see the gun... then they wanted proof that I had unloaded it so I obliged and opened the door, they got a little nervouse and asked me to back away from the case, wanting to open it. Like a dumb ass I allowed them to open the case where they proceeded to removed the gun from the case... then ran the numbers
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
No.
The answer is "no".
Or if you want to be exceptionally polite, "no, officer, I do not consent to any searches".
If they have to ask permission, they don't have a reason to do it.

Won't stop them from acting illegally (ask me how I know), but will make their lawbreaking more obvious. Combined with witnesses (if you were in the restaurant), it might slow them down.

If they're nervous about you being in reach of your encased, unloaded gun, they shouldn't have asked you to show it to them, should they now? Re-lock the door & close it to make them feel safer.

Have you contacted their Chief or IA yet? Esp. since they were unfamiliar with the handling of your pistol, if it had been loaded they could have caused a big problem.

M

McX

they wanted to see the gun, and see if it was unloaded?...............F-off, get a warrant.

kawisixer01

More witnesses inside.

So they went to Culver's instead? Makes perfect sense. :eek:
Almost as much sense as going to Menard's, watching the video of you shopping, being asked to leave, leaving, unloading, encasing, etc., then bothering you anyway.
And what's with the banging on your door, calling your cell, & following you to lunch?

So they went back & charged that person w/ filing a false report, right?

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
No.
The answer is "no".
Or if you want to be exceptionally polite, "no, officer, I do not consent to any searches".
If they have to ask permission, they don't have a reason to do it.

Won't stop them from acting illegally (ask me how I know), but will make their lawbreaking more obvious. Combined with witnesses (if you were in the restaurant), it might slow them down.

If they're nervous about you being in reach of your encased, unloaded gun, they shouldn't have asked you to show it to them, should they now? Re-lock the door & close it to make them feel safer.

Have you contacted their Chief or IA yet? Esp. since they were unfamiliar with the handling of your pistol, if it had been loaded they could have caused a big problem.

Dispatch called my phone, I answered and they already knew I was at culvers based on my GPS sig from the phone. I raised the issue about the false report. Who knows if it was the store that said it or the cops saying it fishing for me to incriminate myself. Immediately after I hung up with dispatch I phoned my attorneys office and let their answering service (it was a saturday) know there was something going on and gave my info and told them to contact my attorney immediately if they didn't hear back from me within 30 minutes. I was very careful with my words and went as far as I thought appropriate to resolve the situation promptly. At the time I was driving on an occupational license (12 years on sportbikes has been hard on my license) and was in a gray area with whether I was legal to be driving at that time and day (supporting household doing errands). Therefore they had a bit of leverage if they wanted to exploit it. Now I would not be as willing a participant as I was that day, lesson learned.

jeff niles

carry in Janesville

I open carry all the time at Menard's and farm and fleet with out any problems yet,Jeff EMT

LR Yote 312

Now I would not be as willing a participant as I was that day, lesson learned.

Know the feeling......and its a b+tch.

I have since adopted the mindset that NO cop has a
reason to remove my side arm from my holster or touch my side arm.
Especially after an encounter with Cudahy.

I will treat them the same way they treat an armed criminal
and maintain a 25 ft perimeter. They can talk to me from there
but I refuse to be cuffed for "their safety" again.

LR Yote