• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol Permits

retro

Hello

I was just wondering what experiences people have had in obtaining pistol permits here in CT. My understanding is that state law gives the local municipalities 8 weeks to evaluate paperwork and do background checks, after which applicants are issued a town permit which can be used to obtain a state permit . Here in Westport I have had all of my paperwork submitted for just over 10 weeks with no word whatsoever from the police department. 2 from 4 checks have been cashed at Jan 28.Both to Commissioner of Public Safety .Another 2 checks to Department of Public Safety and Town of Westport not. Still, they've already taken much longer than the law says they can!

Anyone have any experience with this? What would you suggest I do?

Thanks!

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/conn...rtford-wethersfield-tenant.html#ixzz1FwPuridb

Rich B

retro

Good Citizen

After 8 weeks is a Technical Denial

I did this 5 weeks ago in New Britain, CT & my wife got her permit 3 days later. Officer said he was on vacation & is a one man show, ECT!

On the day of the 8th week, (Your behind already on fully executing your right's), call the Detective in charge of the process, Inform him it's been 8 weeks so you have been technically denied. So by state statue you are going to file at the Board of Firearms Permit examiners, & need to get your name on the roster to be heard, and will remove if issued. Then you will receive a strait answer!

By fileing with the Board, the BOFE is going to contact the PD to get them to fill out the paper work as to why you were denied, I believe they have 3 weeks to complete it by the boards new rules. The paper work I believe is addressed to the chief, and the subordinate employee who is lagging probably doest want his name on the radar , & finally does his job, Because now the Chief his boss is going to find out the Officers is LAZY, & cant follow state statue, which is the only thing he has to do at his job.

:dude:YOU CAN HAVE THIS PROBLEM RESOVED TODAY.:dude:

The Board of firearms paper work is simple to fill out and the staff member is very friendly. You can print it fill it out , scan it & email it, fax it drop it of or mail it

From the Boards website!:::::::::
Contact Us

Phone: 860-566-7078

Fax: 860-566-7079

E-Mail: firearm.permit.appeals@ct.gov

Office Hours: 9am to 5pm

How do I Appeal?

1 Send an Appeal Letter: link to sample letter
You must first send a letter requesting an appeal within 90 days, from the date of revocation or denial. If available, please send a copy of the denial or revocation letter. Send the letter to Board of Firearms Permit Examiners, 505 Hudson St. 5th floor, Hartford, CT 06106.
:arrow:1(a) Appeal letter due to a delay of a decision to approve or deny:
Should you submit an application and have not received a response or a decision from the issuing authority within 8 weeks, you can appeal based upon the delay. You should make every attempt to contact the issuing authority prior to a sending an appeal letter.
link to sample appeal letter due to delay

2 Send The Appellant Questionnaire: link to questionnaire
Scroll to bottom of page to "Printable Version" and print. Complete the 3 page questionnaire. The deadline to send in the questionnaire is 90 days, or your case will be placed on the "Dormancy Calendar" at the next hearing. This could mean your appeal will end.

Sample letter from webite

Date:

Board of Firearms Permit Examiners

505 Hudson St. 5th Floor

Hartford, CT 06106

Dear Board Members,

I would like to appeal the (denial) or (revocation) of my pistol permit.

My permit was (denied)(revoked) on (date).

Signature:

Print your name:

Address: (street, town, state, zip)

Date of Birth: mm/dd/yyyy

Phone numbers:

Home (xxx) xxx-xxxx

Work (xxx) xxx-xxxx

Cell (xxx) xxx-xxxx

Email address: xxxxxxxxx@xxxx

Dont Become a Victim to someone who probally cant make it in the Privet Sector!

Last edited:

CCCT

My Local PD (Norwich) had the background check back in just over 4 weeks. They did their thing in the 5th week, and then waited till 8 weeks to the day to sign it.

mrjam2jab

I did this 5 weeks ago in New Britain, CT & my wife got her permit 3 days later. Officer said he was on vacation & is a one man show, ECT!

On the day of the 8th week, (Your behind already on fully executing your right's), call the Detective in charge of the process, Inform him it's been 8 weeks so you have been technically denied. So by state statue you are going to file at the Board of Firearms Permit examiners, & need to get your name on the roster to be heard, and will remove if issued. Then you will receive a strait answer!

Snipped for brevity....but yes follow this idea. Folks need to use the process to complain when they issuing authorities are breaking the law...otherwise they will just continue their ways.

KIX

updates?

Retro, how did it go?

If you're still having problems, PM me with contact info and I can help you out.

Between BFPE hearings and my suitability study, I've been learning a lot and can help you through the process if you would like a hand.

Jonathan

retro

Send a letter to Board of Firearms Permit Examiners week ago and receive call today from Detective:lol:My license on the way.11 weeks and 6 days.
Thank you Jonathan !

Retro, how did it go?

If you're still having problems, PM me with contact info and I can help you out.

Between BFPE hearings and my suitability study, I've been learning a lot and can help you through the process if you would like a hand.

Jonathan

GrandZJ

I finally got around to putting my paperwork in at the local PD today. Good bunch of people I know there so hopefully it doesn't become a waiting nightmare.