Thread: Wikipedia Open Carry topic-MOC, Inc. listed

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Wikipedia Open Carry topic-MOC, Inc. listed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_carry

Open carry topic at Wikipedia. MOC, Inc. site referenced at end. Ponderosa event listed.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    officers were reprimanded?
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

On January 30, 2010 Members of Michigan Open Carry ( [2] ) Were eating at a local Ponderosa Steakhouse in Lansing, Michigan When the local police department came and forced the citizens to leave. A person rumored to be a United States Marine was Carrying an AR-15 At this open carry event. A brief verbal argument ensued between the loud mouth leader of the open carry group and the Lansing Police Department. No arrests were made,Some of the Law enforcement officers at the scene were given reprimands for their actions arising from the incident.

...I should do an edit...
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    On January 30, 2010 Members of Michigan Open Carry ( [2] ) Were eating at a local Ponderosa Steakhouse in Lansing, Michigan When the local police department came and forced the citizens to leave. A person rumored to be a United States Marine was Carrying an AR-15 At this open carry event. A brief verbal argument ensued between the loud mouth leader of the open carry group and the Lansing Police Department. No arrests were made,Some of the Law enforcement officers at the scene were given reprimands for their actions arising from the incident.

...I should do an edit...
    If you don't, I will. That is a clear violation of their rules and should be edited ASAP.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

The Federal Gun Free School Zone Act of 1995 severely limits where a person may legally carry a firearm by generally prohibiting carry within one-thousand (1000) feet of the property-line of any K-12 school in the nation.[36] A State-issued permit to carry may exempt a person from this restriction depending on the laws of the State, and most issuing States qualify for this exception. However, according to BATFE the exception in Federal law is only applicable to permit holders while in the State that physically issued their permit, and does not exempt people with out-of-state permits, even when their permit is recognized through State reciprocity agreements. BATFE letter explaining reciprocity of CCW permit holders and how it applies to Gun-Free School Zones. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...za1995_ccw.pdf
    WHAT?!?

So if I go out of state and get pulled over in a school zone I'm in violation of Federal law?

Banned
    Do you have to disclose out of state, or would you have to know the states law regarding disclosure, (if any).

Best bet, keep your mouth shut, and fall back on A4.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSzerdi View Post
    WHAT?!?

So if I go out of state and get pulled over in a school zone I'm in violation of Federal law?
    Yes. Fun fact, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    If you don't, I will. That is a clear violation of their rules and should be edited ASAP.
    It doesn't actually say that. It never has. I was proposing the addition of those two words. The LPD did call his a loud mouth
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

(2)

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is—

(I) not loaded; and

(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.
    I didn't know I was near a school.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...2----000-.html
    Last edited by TheSzerdi; 03-07-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Edited to add link to source.

"The commerce clause, though, for the last 70 years has gotten larger and larger. I used to joke that you can drive a truck through it now it's so big. I also used to joke if my shoes were made in Tennessee, they could regulate my walking in Kentucky. The commerce clause, the expansive definition and understanding of it has been supplying no restraint to this body."

--Rand Paul

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    Yes. Fun fact, huh?
    In terms of the federal law, and not the equally unconstitutional and idiotic state laws, the issue never has been really pushed by any government agencies that I am aware of, other than for people committing real crimes when they were looking to stack charges on. Hammering someone with this charge who is innocent of a real crime would force it to be taken before the SCOTUS, and the defense would probably gain the support of the big name gun rights organizations. I could see the GOA, NRA, Heritage Foundation, the Libertarian Party and plenty of others jumping on board to aid the defense. It's a can of worms no one seems to want to open.

Even if no one gets charged with it, the way things are going these days with taking back the country, at least with gun rights, I doubt the GFSZA will last another decade. It's ripe to be plucked by the SCOTUS.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSzerdi View Post
    Umm dude your in the school parking lot...
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Banned
    Some of the kids don't know they are in school when they are IN the school.

I updated the section with a fact template and a reference.

you disagreed with the "loud mouth" part?
    i am still curious about the reprimand thing... i have my doubts.
    good job on the update, Q
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 03-08-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    I updated the section with a fact template and a reference.
    The loud mouth thanks you.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

It doesn't actually say that. It never has. I was proposing the addition of those two words. The LPD did call his a loud mouth
    Ahh. I see... not initially clear but now it is.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

i second the motion to add it then! especially since we have the loudmouth's admission, in writing, that he indeed has a loud mouth...

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    i second the motion to add it then! especially since we have the loudmouth's admission, in writing, that he indeed has a loud mouth...
    You mean confession! Now I'm going to have to re-think my definition of "Loud Mouth"! I never thought speaking truth makes you a "Loud Mouth"! That makes me a "Loud Mouth" too,and most on this forum! I'm Cool with that! CARRY ON LOUD MOUTHS!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

nope, i mean admission, as in, to admit. he admitted.