• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wikipedia Open Carry topic-MOC, Inc. listed

TheQ

On January 30, 2010 Members of Michigan Open Carry ( [2] ) Were eating at a local Ponderosa Steakhouse in Lansing, Michigan When the local police department came and forced the citizens to leave. A person rumored to be a United States Marine was Carrying an AR-15 At this open carry event. A brief verbal argument ensued between the loud mouth leader of the open carry group and the Lansing Police Department. No arrests were made,Some of the Law enforcement officers at the scene were given reprimands for their actions arising from the incident.

...I should do an edit...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
On January 30, 2010 Members of Michigan Open Carry ( [2] ) Were eating at a local Ponderosa Steakhouse in Lansing, Michigan When the local police department came and forced the citizens to leave. A person rumored to be a United States Marine was Carrying an AR-15 At this open carry event. A brief verbal argument ensued between the loud mouth leader of the open carry group and the Lansing Police Department. No arrests were made,Some of the Law enforcement officers at the scene were given reprimands for their actions arising from the incident.

...I should do an edit...

If you don't, I will. That is a clear violation of their rules and should be edited ASAP.

TheSzerdi

The Federal Gun Free School Zone Act of 1995 severely limits where a person may legally carry a firearm by generally prohibiting carry within one-thousand (1000) feet of the property-line of any K-12 school in the nation.[36] A State-issued permit to carry may exempt a person from this restriction depending on the laws of the State, and most issuing States qualify for this exception. However, according to BATFE the exception in Federal law is only applicable to permit holders while in the State that physically issued their permit, and does not exempt people with out-of-state permits, even when their permit is recognized through State reciprocity agreements. BATFE letter explaining reciprocity of CCW permit holders and how it applies to Gun-Free School Zones. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/Batfe2002letter_gfsza1995_ccw.pdf

WHAT?!?

So if I go out of state and get pulled over in a school zone I'm in violation of Federal law?

TheSzerdi

(2)

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is—

(I) not loaded; and

(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

I didn't know I was near a school. :)

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

Last edited:

TheQ

"The commerce clause, though, for the last 70 years has gotten larger and larger. I used to joke that you can drive a truck through it now it's so big. I also used to joke if my shoes were made in Tennessee, they could regulate my walking in Kentucky. The commerce clause, the expansive definition and understanding of it has been supplying no restraint to this body."

--Rand Paul

Michigander

Yes. Fun fact, huh?

In terms of the federal law, and not the equally unconstitutional and idiotic state laws, the issue never has been really pushed by any government agencies that I am aware of, other than for people committing real crimes when they were looking to stack charges on. Hammering someone with this charge who is innocent of a real crime would force it to be taken before the SCOTUS, and the defense would probably gain the support of the big name gun rights organizations. I could see the GOA, NRA, Heritage Foundation, the Libertarian Party and plenty of others jumping on board to aid the defense. It's a can of worms no one seems to want to open.

Even if no one gets charged with it, the way things are going these days with taking back the country, at least with gun rights, I doubt the GFSZA will last another decade. It's ripe to be plucked by the SCOTUS.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
you disagreed with the "loud mouth" part? :dude:
i am still curious about the reprimand thing... i have my doubts.
good job on the update, Q

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
It doesn't actually say that. It never has. I was proposing the addition of those two words. The LPD did call his a loud mouth ;)

i second the motion to add it then! especially since we have the loudmouth's admission, in writing, that he indeed has a loud mouth...
:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey

Haman J.T.

i second the motion to add it then! especially since we have the loudmouth's admission, in writing, that he indeed has a loud mouth...
:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey
You mean confession! Now I'm going to have to re-think my definition of "Loud Mouth"! I never thought speaking truth makes you a "Loud Mouth"! That makes me a "Loud Mouth" too,and most on this forum! I'm Cool with that! CARRY ON LOUD MOUTHS!