• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in Shoshone National Forest.

Macho man that beat on chest and swagger when walk only need some bear spray and a switch when he go bear hunting wearing he scuba suit and carrying a shark under he arm. Eee gad what a braggart.

markm

It aint bragg'n if....

Macho man that beat on chest and swagger when walk only need some bear spray and a switch when he go bear hunting wearing he scuba suit and carrying a shark under he arm. Eee gad what a braggart.

Hey all,

I guess the joke is on me. Ya'all are just play'n me. You can't be this stupid.

Sometimes, I am a little slow!!!!

markm

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
Ok im gona add in here as i am the one who started this tread. I asked a simple ? and found out what i needed with info i was given. Now this has turned into a who's D*@k is bigger than who's contest. Stop acting like a bunch of 5 year olds.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MarkBofRAdvocate
Hey Mjolner,

Do you understand the theme of this thread now?

you must not understand it Mark as you have strayed way off of what it was started for.
I agree with one post you sure seem to think alot of yourself.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ok im gona add in here as i am the one who started this tread. I asked a simple ? and found out what i needed with info i was given. Now this has turned into a who's D*@k is bigger than who's contest. Stop acting like a bunch of 5 year olds.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MarkBofRAdvocate
Hey Mjolner,

Do you understand the theme of this thread now?

you must not understand it Mark as you have strayed way off of what it was started for.
I agree with one post you sure seem to think alot of yourself.

Now that you've gotten your info 1000ydshooter, please bear with me a moment to reply to those that think they know bears.

Remember Timothy Treadwell, a controversial wildlife activist who spent 13 summers living among bears in the Alaskan wilderness. He was killed by a bear that he thought he understood. Treadwell was described as a" self-styled kind warrior, and irresponsible,"by one official.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/08/0812_050812_grizzly_man.html

markm

Now that you've gotten your info 1000ydshooter, please bear with me a moment to reply to those that think they know bears.

Remember Timothy Treadwell, a controversial wildlife activist who spent 13 summers living among bears in the Alaskan wilderness. He was killed by a bear that he thought he understood. Treadwell was described as a" self-styled kind warrior, and irresponsible,"by one official.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/08/0812_050812_grizzly_man.html

Hello 1000yard shooter,

Threads always stray off topic to some degree. Your OP got the discussion started; that is all. The controversial topic became bear spray and a legal defense if a person shoots an endangerd species.

I am sorry that you feel that I hijacked YOUR thread. Do you have a pink-slip for this thread, or is it part of the public domain?

Hey Grapeshot,

Who is advocating becoming "one" with the grizzlies on this thread? I am advocating being prepared to kill any grizzly that is threatening to attack a human; however, create a plan that allows for a criminal defense. Have one person in your party who deploys bears spray while others draw and prepare to fire. Why is this so illogical?

I know why...the people who are posting here HAVE NO backwoods experience. I can only assume that the farthest some here have gotten from their car is about 10 feet to take a leak.

Here is a story about Fed persecutors hunting down the murderer of a wolf in Gallatin National Forest:
http://www.kulr8.com/news/state/118701859.html

Again my point: Think about a legal defense before you go into the woods. For my wife and I, our plan is for me to carry the gun and she carries the bear spray. She does not like packing heat, so she packs the bear spray. I deploy the gun, she deploys the bear spray.

If the bear is inquisitive and not charging, it gets bear spray in the face. If it charges it gets both, and then I may have to face the persecutors who will treat me as a convicted felon until I prove myself innocent.

I understand that it takes a small degree of intelligence to cogitate over two diverse, and somewhat abstract thoughts, but real life requires it.

GET WITH THE PROGRAM! And oh yes, spend some time in the woods and you will learn that most wild animals want to give you as much space as you want to give them. Your eyes, ears, and binoculars will save you from many wild animal attacks. See them, stay clear, and enjoy. Be smart.

Again, I apologize to those who are upset that my boots are worn-out and quite muddy; experience in the woods has allowed me to master my fears.

Courage is the mastery of fear, not the absence of fear.

markm

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Do you have a pink-slip for this thread, or is it part of the public domain?[/qouote]

OCDO is decidedly private property and accordingly subject to the rules and conditions of the owners thereof. Being publicly viewable does not open that up to debate.

Who is advocating becoming "one" with the grizzlies on this thread? I am advocating being prepared to kill any grizzly that is threatening to attack a human; however, create a plan that allows for a criminal defense. Have one person in your party who deploys bears spray while others draw and prepare to fire. Why is this so illogical?
These things have never been so stated or implied by me, yet you direct your comments to me - seems unnecessarily contentious, creating disagreement where there is none.

You will get more respect and be taken more seriously if you do not sell so hard. Courtesy towards others goes a long way. This is not a personality debate - it is a suggestion.

Last edited:

rickc1962

I am no expert, but I have spent probably all together 4 years in the wilderness, I have had bear encounters in the Sierras, and the Rockies, I know many guides, and hunters, in Wy., and Mt., and not one believes in the liberal, frog licking, tree hugging, bear spray argument. Black bears in Cal. for the most part are scavengers and I have talked to 2 different ones, one that actually sat down to listen for a while, others have moved me around at night looking for a free snack, and I am still here to talk about it.

As for Grizzlies they are a different animal altogether, they are man hunters, I have seen many in the wild, and have gave them a wide berth. I have a friend in Wy. that was hunting in northern Mt. with a friend of his, when they noticed a bloody shoe, when they investigated they found an empty handgun, and lots of blood, about that time, they heard a noise come from behind them, when they turned, they were charged by what turned out to be ( if I remember right, ) a 1800 lb grizzly, one of them raised his rifle and fired, he emptied his rifle and that thing kept coming, the other hunter then raised his rifle and unloaded on the bear, IT KEPT COMMING! the first hunter then puled his revolver and emptied it, the bear finally fell at there feet, when they counted the bullet holes, they concluded that someone emptied the handgun that they had found on the bear also.

After they had looked for some time for the owner of the handgun they found with no luck, they decided to look in the bear, and guess what. He was there, in four pieces, they took pictures, which I did have copies of but I don`t know what I did with them.

So Mr. Calif., if the victim's handgun didn't stop that bear, can you tell me how in the hell Bear spray would have?

Has anyone ever heard of Kalifornia Dreaming? I was born and raised in the woods and still live there. And I still do not believe in bear spray unless it contains lead.

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
I was not thinking you hijacked the thread. I was mainly refering to the moronic comment about someone no understanding the thread. The person that said it must not understand the meaning as they were the one who took it way off course and was acting like an "IKE" (I Know Everything).
Grape ill be home from overseas in about a month and a half. After i get home im going to try to get some of the group from VA together at my family farm for a fun day of shooting. Ill post details on the Va section when the time comes. If i dont see you then i look forward to meeting you at a get together sometime. Stay Safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was not thinking you hijacked the thread. I was mainly refering to the moronic comment about someone no understanding the thread. The person that said it must not understand the meaning as they were the one who took it way off course and was acting like an "IKE" (I Know Everything).
Grape ill be home from overseas in about a month and a half. After i get home im going to try to get some of the group from VA together at my family farm for a fun day of shooting. Ill post details on the Va section when the time comes. If i dont see you then i look forward to meeting you at a get together sometime. Stay Safe.

Confusius say when ego get bigger than head is no room for brain. :lol:

Give us a shout when you get back - the farm sounds like a good way to unwind.

Meanwhile I'll save a place for you at the table.

RedLegRider

No restrictions

I will be visiting Wy this summer from Va. I did some looking but couldnt find what i was looking for on carry Oc or CC in Shoshone National Forest. Any one got any info on this so i dont get myself in a twist. Thanks!!

There are no restrictions for open carry in Wyoming.
Shoshone National Forest is my back yard. There are no restrictions for open carry in the Shoshone National Forest. You may also hunt in the national forests in Wyoming.

markm

Abstract Thought!

Hello All,

It has been said that a sign of intelligence is the ability of a person to process two abstract thoughts at one time. You all have proven that for many, one abstract thought is difficult to process.

RickC,

Please cite your 1800 lb grizzly story from Montana. That sounds like an Alaskan Kodiak Brown bear to me, but then again, I am from Kali. Alaskan mainland grizzlies rarely get that large.

For the most part, you all have accurate opinions about grizzlies; we must respect them. However, I don't believe you are responding to what I wrote here about having a legal defense while in the woods, you may be pissed-off that I am a Kali resident who loves your state! But then again, I am just a dumb-ass from Kali. (Don't take this personal; you have been personal and defensive towards me)

I never knew that *******-off so many could be so fun.

unbelievable.

markm

MamaLiberty

Hello All,
having a legal defense while in the woods
markm

Markm - the bottom line is that there are no absolutes and no guarantees about "legal defense" - in the woods or anywhere. You pays your money and you takes your chances, just like everyone else. The specific situation and various actors involved will determine the "law" and how it is applied. Nobody can predict that.

Be careful, be armed, and don't shoot unless you have no other choice. That's true everywhere. :)

And I'm a Calif. escapee myself. :)

rickc1962

Hello All,

It has been said that a sign of intelligence is the ability of a person to process two abstract thoughts at one time. You all have proven that for many, one abstract thought is difficult to process.

RickC,

Please cite your 1800 lb grizzly story from Montana. That sounds like an Alaskan Kodiak Brown bear to me, but then again, I am from Kali. Alaskan mainland grizzlies rarely get that large.

For the most part, you all have accurate opinions about grizzlies; we must respect them. However, I don't believe you are responding to what I wrote here about having a legal defense while in the woods, you may be pissed-off that I am a Kali resident who loves your state! But then again, I am just a dumb-ass from Kali. (Don't take this personal; you have been personal and defensive towards me)

unbelievable.

markm

i also grew up in Ca., my folks still live there. When I got out of the army in `83 I went back to Ca. but I could read the writing on the wall and I left, I have been back many times to prospect, and spent countless months at a time in the woods living of the land.

I am sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention, I have just seen my share of stupid people in the wild.

I did have pictures of the bear, its paws were bigger then a mans chest, and it took both hunters to prop up its head, they said it stood between 10 & 11 feet tall, I might be wrong about the weight, but I do know it was somewhere close to that. I got the pictures about 8 years ago, and I am going by memory which ain't that good, I believe the pictures are in a storage unit with all my prospecting stuff, guess where, Ca. I have been paying for that unit for 5 years now, and someday will go and get it.

The point is not the weight of the bear, but that using bear spray to stop a grizzly is likes standing on your neighborhood street and trying to stop a car with bear spray.

Mjolnir

Hello All,

RickC,

unbelievable.

markm

You Sir are a idiot and if you think upsetting people is fun your even dumber than anybody gives you cred it for being. nothing like giving advice over the internet that will get somebody hurt or killed now is there and it's people like you that enjoy giving false information that give forums like this a bad name.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"
Many claims of a giant grizzly bear of world record status have been submitted but not verified. Some are embellished with man eating stories. One of the more famous reports is a grizzly bear from Alaska having an enormous weight of 1600 pounds. The 12.6 foot tall bear had a massive head and teeth. Its gigantic paws had impressive claws never before seen.
This information received much publicity because of the bear's incredible size.

The fact is that it did live in Alaska and its actual weight is closer to 1200 pounds with a height of around 10 feet. Claims of attacks by the bear that endangered the hunters have been disputed. Still this is giant bear my any measure and until disproved holds the grizzly world record for largest size.
http://www.bearlife.org/grizzly-bear.html

rickc1962

"
Many claims of a giant grizzly bear of world record status have been submitted but not verified. Some are embellished with man eating stories. One of the more famous reports is a grizzly bear from Alaska having an enormous weight of 1600 pounds. The 12.6 foot tall bear had a massive head and teeth. Its gigantic paws had impressive claws never before seen.
This information received much publicity because of the bear's incredible size.

The fact is that it did live in Alaska and its actual weight is closer to 1200 pounds with a height of around 10 feet. Claims of attacks by the bear that endangered the hunters have been disputed. Still this is giant bear my any measure and until disproved holds the grizzly world record for largest size.
http://www.bearlife.org/grizzly-bear.html

Grapeshot; You are right about size and danger of these bears, there are many very large grizzlies in the northern Rockie Mountain States, and they will kill hunters and their horses alike. In the town of Meeteetse, Wy. is a grizzly by the name of Little Wahb that was killed in the `90s for killing full grown 800 lb cows, and he is only 8 feet tall and 800 lbs his self, there are a lot of bears at least that size and some even larger then that in the wild. The park service says they have seen bears weighing in at the 1000 to 1200 lb range, but none have been taken is of yet.

As I've been reading about Wy. and Mt., grizzlies, I'm thinking I might have exaggerated a bit, and it is never my intention to mislead. Like I said earlier, I am going by memory and I wish I had the pictures in front of me, I do know that the tells of that bear is correct.

I don't want anyone to get hurt in grizzly country because they take them lightly, and go in the forest armed with nothing more then bear spray and think they are safe. Grizzlies will kill you, and the only shire defence is a large caliber gun.