• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alabama Open Carry Get "No Gun" Polices Reversed!

Dianosis

Southwest Georgia Oil Company (Inland) Changes "No Gun" Policies

On Feb. 20th, 2011, Alabama Open Carry member Scott Jessip (Fedfirefighter) informed ALOC of a new policy in place at a local Inland gas station. The new policy prevented a legally armed citizen from lawfully carrying their firearm into any of their locations. They also posted "No Weapons" signs on their doors and windows. This policy, in effect, robbed a law abiding citizen of the right to defend themselves in any of their locations and essentially told the bad guys, hey, everyone who shops here is an easy target and cannot defend themselves.

Members of Alabama Open Carry quickly rallied together and started emailing, mailing and calling Southwest Georgia Oil Company Inc., the parent company of several gas stations including Inland. The message was loud and clear, continue with this policy and we will take our business elsewhere and spread the word.

Southwest Georgia Oil Company Inc took notice and responded. On March 2nd, the owners of Inland, had a meeting with all store Managers and asked them to remove all "no weapons" signs. Cindy Doogan, the Director of Human Resources, was contacted via phone and asked about the removal of the signs and she indicated that policy had been revoked, per the owner. She also responded to another member with the letter attached to this post.

While this policy should have never been implemented in the first place, I have a new respect for them for listening to their customers, and admitting they made a mistake and taking corrective action. They have earned back my business, and I plan on contacting them to thank them for respecting my rights.

If you would like to see how this played out you can follow the initial post here:
http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php?topic=1128.0

Attachments

• Inland.jpg
    Inland.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

77zach

Southwest Georgia Oil Company (Inland) Changes "No Gun" Policies

On Feb. 20th, 2011, Alabama Open Carry member Scott Jessip (Fedfirefighter) informed ALOC of a new policy in place at a local Inland gas station. The new policy prevented a legally armed citizen from lawfully carrying their firearm into any of their locations. They also posted "No Weapons" signs on their doors and windows. This policy, in effect, robbed a law abiding citizen of the right to defend themselves in any of their locations and essentially told the bad guys, hey, everyone who shops here is an easy target and cannot defend themselves.

Members of Alabama Open Carry quickly rallied together and started emailing, mailing and calling Southwest Georgia Oil Company Inc., the parent company of several gas stations including Inland. The message was loud and clear, continue with this policy and we will take our business elsewhere and spread the word.

Southwest Georgia Oil Company Inc took notice and responded. On March 2nd, the owners of Inland, had a meeting with all store Managers and asked them to remove all "no weapons" signs. Cindy Doogan, the Director of Human Resources, was contacted via phone and asked about the removal of the signs and she indicated that policy had been revoked, per the owner. She also responded to another member with the letter attached to this post.

While this policy should have never been implemented in the first place, I have a new respect for them for listening to their customers, and admitting they made a mistake and taking corrective action. They have earned back my business, and I plan on contacting them to thank them for respecting my rights.

If you would like to see how this played out you can follow the initial post here:
http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php?topic=1128.0

Well Done. It's amazing how much more receptive private businesses are to common sense than governments are. Of course, businesses want your money so they'll give you good service and have a vested interest in making you happy. Government doesn't care about its "customers" and is full of control freaks who will put you in a cage if you violate their policy instead of asking you to leave.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Well Done. It's amazing how much more receptive private businesses are to common sense than governments are. Of course, businesses want your money so they'll give you good service and have a vested interest in making you happy. Government doesn't care about its "customers" and is full of control freaks who will put you in a cage if you violate their policy instead of asking you to leave.

It's amazing what the ability to say "no" creates, isn't it?

There was a fun thread a little back wherein we discussed the issue of how and whether governance might be made more voluntary.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?85601-No-treason-The-constitution-of-no-authority!!!!

77zach

It's amazing what the ability to say "no" creates, isn't it?

There was a fun thread a little back wherein we discussed the issue of how and whether governance might be made more voluntary.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?85601-No-treason-The-constitution-of-no-authority!!!!

Common sense to me. If it's wrong for you to do it, it's wrong for anyone else to do the same. A statement most people agree with, until they realize the full implications. Then they decide to embrace evil.

Last edited: