• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying Handgun Ammo

RenkaiWulf

as i am not 21 yet i can not buy handgun ammo for my legally obtained OC pistol, as well as not having anyone to buy it for me. so how the hell am i suppose to use my pistol for self-defense?
another bull**** gun control law
i would like to avoid buying ammunition online so thats not a choice for me.

mark-in-texas

'not having anyone to buy it for me'?????????? Do you live in the middle of the Saraha?? Friends, neighbors, preacher at church, girlfriends (boyfriends, DADT!)?? Your aunt's cousin's sister-in-law?? Come on!!! You can find somebody??? Good luck amigo!

RenkaiWulf

lol i dont have friends here and i dont talk to my neighbors. girlfriend is also under 21 and my family is 80+ miles away, so yea no one to buy it for me
:p its a stupid law

Michigander

3 options.

-Find someone to make the transaction for you.

-Load your own ammo. Everything you need and a starter set of components can be had for under 200 dollars. Maybe even significantly less if you shop around and already have a stash of brass.

-Buy a carbine of the same caliber, and that you can legally get ammo for.

RenkaiWulf

yea i figure ill try to find someone to buy it for me, just might take me a little while to do so if all else fails i'll have to wait till july when my GF turns 21 would like to have new ammo b4 then tho. oh well s**t happens
anyone from around here willing to make a transaction for me ;) just need to buy 50-100 rounds atm

Michigander

If that's all you need, you could even get a Lee Classic loader. It will only work with fresh brass or brass that someone else already resized for you, because they only resize the case mouth, not the entire case like a regular set of dies.

So, to sum up the costs

25 dollars for the Lee Classic Loader

Whatever cost you can find for brass, it varies. But probably 20 bucks or less.

5 bucks or less for 100 primers

Powder will cost about 15-25 dollars, but last probably 1000 rounds or so.

Whatever cost you can find for bullets, it varies. But probably under 15 bucks

Have a credit card or know someone who does? Order the stuff from cabelas.com, and find a local place to buy the primers so you don't have to pay the hazmat fee for 100 primers. If no credit card, have a car? Drive to Cabelas and buy everything there. Or better yet drive to Jays, the only truly good outdoor outfitter in the entire state.

Last edited:

kryptonian

i'll buy it for you if that's legal. i'm in walled lake area. when i was 19 i was a reserve deputy constable in houston texas and i had a colt trooper mark III .357 from private sale but like you couldn't buy ammo. fellow cops teased me and asked if i stood outside stores and asked people to buy for me like alcohol. didnt help i looked 15 too.

RenkaiWulf

that would be nice thank you google maps says walled lake is about 30 miles away from here send me a pm if you would like
it is 9mm ammo

Last edited:

RenkaiWulf

yep im using it for now but im also teaching my GF how to use it.
don't want to much of a kick for her she's little :p
its Ruger P-89 Decocker model

eastmeyers

yep im using it for now but im also teaching my GF how to use it.
don't want to much of a kick for her she's little :p
its Ruger P-89 Decocker model

My GF was 18 when she first started with my pistols, my G27 (.40s&w) is here favorite, and she always enjoyed the G21 (.45acp) , and Security Six (.357mag) as well. She now owns her own Springfield XD40. The only pistols she doesn't like are my 9mm (range only) and the .22lr. LOL. She says 9mm's are for *****'*. BTW she is 5"nothing and weighs about a buck.

RenkaiWulf

yea about the same size as my GF but mine has never touched a pistol or rifle in her life so i figure should start her off slow :)
her parents were anti's so there's a lot to teach

TheQ

yea i figure ill try to find someone to buy it for me, just might take me a little while to do so if all else fails i'll have to wait till july when my GF turns 21 would like to have new ammo b4 then tho. oh well s**t happens
anyone from around here willing to make a transaction for me ;) just need to buy 50-100 rounds atm

Save your $$$ and buy 1,000-2,000 rounds when the chance comes. Don't shoot them all in one place...

ETA: if you take used brass to a reloaded and pay them to reload it you are the "manufacturer" according to BATFE regs. As such, you don't have to be 21 or pay the ammo excise tax....

stainless1911

Banned

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
3 options.

-Find someone to make the transaction for you.

-Load your own ammo. Everything you need and a starter set of components can be had for under 200 dollars. Maybe even significantly less if you shop around and already have a stash of brass.

-Buy a carbine of the same caliber, and that you can legally get ammo for.

or don't buy the carbine, just tell the salesman "it could be for a 9mm rifle"
it's not really a matter of legality anyway, it's not illegal for someone under 21 to posses handgun ammo, it's just a matter of store policy. i used to buy handgun ammo in AZ all the time when i was under 21, never had a problem.

Last edited:

eastmeyers

or don't buy the carbine, just tell the salesman "it could be for a 9mm rifle"
it's not really a matter of legality anyway, it's not illegal for someone under 21 to posses handgun ammo, it's just a matter of store policy. i used to buy handgun ammo in AZ all the time when i was under 21, never had a problem.

Well it does need to be bought for a rifle in order to be legal. So if he buys it for a rifle thats legal. Whether it ends up in a rifle or a handgun it doesn't really matter. You have to be 18 to purchase rifle ammo (from a store) and 21 to buy pistol ammo from a store. Good news is most pistol ammos also can go into some rifles, so when you goto buy it tell the clerk it is for a rifle. In fact I know at Wal-Mart the register prompts the clerk with a question, is this ammo to be used in rifle or a pistol? If you look over 21 they usually don't ask, if you look young they ask you which one its for then ask for ID for proof of age. Just like buying cigarettes ~vs~ beer.

Personally I don't step foot into wal-mart, but if you can't find anywhere else, hey its all you got. AFAIK the only good SD ammo wallyworld sells is PDX1, which is very good ammo. Some people swear by it, personally I prefer Rangers (which are actually basically the same thing), but my favorites are HSTs, Golder Sabers, and Gold Dots, in that order.

But none of these are cheap, but they may save your life, so don't go cheap. Buy about 100 rounds of which ever SD ammo you decide to use, shoot it all off at once, except enough to keep your magazines full. If you have just ONE FTE, FTE, or any other non-user failure, shoot it all off and try a different kind. Some pistols don't like certain ammo, nothing you can do about it (unless you know enough on how to play with your pistol, or can afford to take it to a gun smith). Then buy a couple hundred rounds of the cheapest FMJ's that you can find, and have fun.

As said before I believe wal-mart carries PDX1's which is a great round get some of those, if this is the only place you can find to sell to you. And if you can find it and your pistol is rated for it get some +p or +p+, it really isn't all that different in recoil, but sure does pack a bigger punch.

I can't wait till my favorite site gets in my .45acp HST 230g +p, and Ranger T 230g +p. Can never have enough powder behind a good JHP. Right now I am running Hydro Shocks 230g, or Hornady 185g +p. I no longer trust the old fashion Hydro Shocks (the HST's are the new version of these they are made by Federal) after doing some testing, where the jacket separated from the lead, and the jacket broke into several pieces. The reason I don't like the Hornady's all that much is because they are only 185g, and I like my 230g better, I'm just much more use to the functionality of my pistol with the heavier loads. When I get less lazy, I will unload my magazines and load them with my Gold Dots I have in my Ammo Cans.

Anyways, good luck. I also suggest that you pick a weight and try to stick with it, that way when you practice and get used to fallow up shots, if God forbid you need to use them in a SD situation, you wont be thrown off by a difference in how the firearm moves differently.

God Bless you and yours, and God Luck!

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Last edited:

eastmeyers

according to the ATF, the regulation for selling ammo to someone over 18 and under 21 only applies to FFL dealers. this would not apply to an individual saleperson at a meijer or walmart, many of which do not sell firearms, and thus not FFL dealer.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensees-conduct-of-business.html#interchangeable-ammo-sales
other than that, it's left up to state or local. does michigan have such a law?

I believe it does not. Although I have been known not to be 100%. But you know as well as I do, most places don't understand the law, and would assume they are held to that same law as FFL's. And err on the side of caution, for liability issues. Can't blame them either, look at the BS K-Mart went through after Columbine, and they didn't do anything wrong.

On a side note I really really REALLY dislike Michael Moore!