• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying Handgun Ammo

1245A Defender

well,,,

if you guys had been following this guys posts,
you would know that not only is he young,
he is also poor,
he bought a gun, and has no money left!
so now you all are going off telling him to buy a lot of premium ammo.
and telling him to spend money to save money on ammo, by reloading!
he is not getting any help.
he talking about open carrying an empty gun, around the house and yard,
the store and an open carry get together!
in one post he admits he has three old cartridges, so i guess that is what hes got!

Does anybody live near his location, that would Loan him enough 9mms to fill a couple mags? WWB FMJ? reloads?

one thread he started New Handgun

also posts in last page here
List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

stainless1911

Banned
I know that. I'm on a fixed income myself, my first gun, a layaway, took 7 months to aquire. I've been putting my reloading stuff together now for over a year, piece by piece. I'll usually use my pop can deposits for primers, but at the end of the day, I can shoot. Before, I needed a hundred bucks to go shooting, range fee, and a 240 box, but thanks to range brass, a homemade bullet trap to catch the lead, the pit, and wheel weights for alloy, I'm averaging 5$ for a 100. My advice, and Michiganders, isn't to get him shooting this afternoon, its to keep him shooting in the long term. If I had the money, I'd be the first to buy him a box of 250 for target, and 2 boxes of PDX-1s for the mags.

Free tip: when you pick up brass that doesn't fit your gun, you can trade with people who have brass for yours. I've gotten about 700 casings for mine without trying. If you can find Willie at the pit in lapeer, he will sell you brass for around 5 cents a case.

Last edited:

StingMP9

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, US
My GF was 18 when she first started with my pistols, my G27 (.40s&w) is here favorite, and she always enjoyed the G21 (.45acp) , and Security Six (.357mag) as well. She now owns her own Springfield XD40. The only pistols she doesn't like are my 9mm (range only) and the .22lr. LOL. She says 9mm's are for *****'*. BTW she is 5"nothing and weighs about a buck.

Personal preference. A lot of 9mm are rubbish and a many are great. Same thing with .40s&w. Many range trainers recommend either 9mm or .45acp for varying reasons. For some reason a lot of first timers don't like the .40 so they are left with the other recommendations.

Ruger95

Bug

The .40 can be a little snappy, some people don't like that. A .45 can actually be easier to manage. 9's are IMO, target guns, great for training, or a BUG.
I've always wondered why 9mm isn't good enough for your number 1 gun but its good for a BUG. Its still a 9mm and if you still need to stop a threat... how can you trust it?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I've always wondered why 9mm isn't good enough for your number 1 gun but its good for a BUG. Its still a 9mm and if you still need to stop a threat... how can you trust it?
I've used 9mm, .357 magnum, 10mm autopistol, 9x18mm Makarov and .45ACP for self defense. They all work, there is no "magic bullet" for self defense. In my humble opinion, caliber wars are useless.

Shoot what you feel you can handle. If it's a .22, or a .454 Casull, as long as you can control it, and you hit what you're aiming at, go for it. The nice thing about .454 Casull, it has the advantage of also handling the .45 Long Colt. :)

stainless1911

Banned
I like the .40 because its got nearly the power of a .45, but generally with more capacity, similar to a 9mm. And of course the heavier round moving a little faster is naturally going to do a little better against barriers, or layers of clothing. When the rounds go through objects, the point of impact is generally closer to the point of aim, and the bullet, or what is left of it, usually retains more weight. There's just more meat on the bone. The 9mm. isn't a bad round. The .40 is actually 10mm, not that much bigger than the 9mm. The weight of the bullets are where the magic happens. A 9 weighs between 90 and 150 grains, and the .40 weighs 135grains up to 200 grains, almost double.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Things to cosider in caliber choices:

There are many:

Cost, control.....

For me it boiled down to utility: my primary pistol(G17), backup(G26) & Carbine(sub2k) can all use the same mags & ammo. This includes 33 rounders for those zombie encounters ;)

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
There are many:

Cost, control.....

For me it boiled down to utility: my primary pistol(G17), backup(G26) & Carbine(sub2k) can all use the same mags & ammo. This includes 33 rounders for those zombie encounters ;)
Cost is often a big consideration. While money does affect, to a certain degree what I buy, I generally buy what I like, because I want it. Assuming it's in my price range. As much as I'd love to have a Colt 1911, the new models are just way to expensive for me. Rock Island Armory, on the other hand, fills the need nicely.

I'd buy Glocks, but I don't like KA-BOOMs. ;)

Or is it, KA-Booms don't like me. :D

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Might do well to pick up something with a high cap mag, and a couple extra mags when you get a chance. That law goes through, and you'll be sorry.

I'm thinking about picking up an M&P mag, even though it will be a couple years before I can actually afford the gun.

Michigander

The conclusion I have come to from wetpack testing and internet research is that a good 125 grain HP plus P 9mm will hit just about as hard as a fairly good .40 or .45 self defense round. The only real reason to choose .40 or .45 over 9mm is because of over penetration concerns, which would probably be the last thing on your mind anyway if you ever need to shoot an attacker. Didn't used to believe in this, but over the last year or so I've begun to realize the error of my previous ways.

45 Super, .460 Rowland, 10mm, these are the types of calibers to go to for enhanced power levels.

Gunslinger

.45 sectional density is far superior to a .40 S&W, more so than just the diameter difference would suggest. A .40 is too snappy for many--the recoil of a .45 1911 much easier to control as to hand placement and transmittal than the typical plastic .40 which upsets the centerline of the gun more. I don't own and wouldn't buy a .40. .45ACP in a 1911 is my choice.

9mm +P or +P+ ammunition will give virtually the same stopping power as standard .40 ammo. With much less recoil and much more follow on shot controlability. And practice ammo is much cheaper. Nothing wrong with a good 9mm--my Browning Hi-Power will always be my favorite firearm. Good compromise between PD power and concealability, as well.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Cost is often a big consideration. While money does affect, to a certain degree what I buy, I generally buy what I like, because I want it. Assuming it's in my price range. As much as I'd love to have a Colt 1911, the new models are just way to expensive for me. Rock Island Armory, on the other hand, fills the need nicely.

I'd buy Glocks, but I don't like KA-BOOMs. ;)

Or is it, KA-Booms don't like me. :D

AL - I have owned my G17 for nearly 20 years and have never had 1 failure to feed, eject, no jams or any other issue ever, let alone a Ka-boom? What ever that is? I like dependable especially when my ass is on the line. And it has saved my life so I know what I'm talking about here. Are they ugly? YES! Are they bulky compared to others? YES!
Hey - I OC 95% of the time so these are minor issues to me.

stainless1911

Banned
Ive only heard of Kabooms with older model glocks, and only with reloads in certain models. These did not fully support the case, and when reloaded several times, could cause a case rupture, damaging the gun and nearby personnel. There isn't anything wrong with a glock. Its likely the most common issued handgun worldwide. The grip angle sucks, but that's about it. XDs are better though.:p

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Ive only heard of Kabooms with older model glocks, and only with reloads in certain models. These did not fully support the case, and when reloaded several times, could cause a case rupture, damaging the gun and nearby personnel. There isn't anything wrong with a glock. Its likely the most common issued handgun worldwide. The grip angle sucks, but that's about it. XDs are better though.:p

I was going to wax (in)eloquently about Kabooms in Glocks (and 1911's) BUT since this page pretty much explains the whole issue, I'll let them do it. I have never personally had the problem, but I only use factory ammo.
Edit: My EDC is a G23

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Forgot to say that it's not a problem exclusive to Glock, other guns suffer "kabooms":

1911-style handguns
AR-15 (5.56X45mm)
CZ52 (7.62x25 mm)
H&K Mark 23(.45 ACP)
H&K USP45 (.45 ACP)
M1A (7.62X51mm)