• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the forum and soon to join your ranks

RooksGambit

I've been lurking here for a little over a week now, reading quite a few threads and getting a feel for the place's zeitgeist. I didn't see a specific spot for introductions so General seemed to fit. I see a fair share of rough edges and cool heads, so it's the sort of place I like to read and participate in discussions.

I've always been an enthusiast of military hardware, but was never inclined to actually own a weapon. It wasn't a dislike or aversion, simply something I never really considered. Well, the world continues to become a place where it makes more and more sense to me to exercise my right to carry a weapon. So I've done a bit or research on a first purchase, and begun to familiarize myself with my local and state laws concerning gun ownership. So, I want to purchase a handgun and learn to use it properly and effectively. I'm familiar with the handling of a weapon, trigger discipline, where not to point, when not to point. I have enough common sense to know not to be a jackass with a weapon in public and not to go around brandishing and showing off.

Originally, I was going to purchase the new Springfield XDM .40 3.8, but after doing some looking on ammunition prices and the pros and cons of characteristics of the various types, I decided to instead go for the Springfield XDM 9mm 3.8. Choice in ammunition comes down to price and effectiveness. I'm going to need to practice (I've not actually fired many firearms), so I'm going to need inexpensive ammunition and 9mm is the way to go in that regard. It seems to be generally agreed that 9mm is perfectly sufficient for self defense carrying.

My choice in weapon has several factors: Part of it is almost certainly the "Shiny New Thing" aspect of the newer XDM series. Part of it is because my cup doth not exactly runneth over financially and my first purchase will work double duty as my OC sidearm and as my eventual CCDW sidearm. I will be beginning the process of acquiring my license soon. I like the XDM for the compact size, the availability of accessories and the ability to extend the grip and magazine for higher capacity. It gets rock solid reviews all over the net and from individual users and it seems like a great, if somewhat pricey first firearm.

Anyroad, I'm looking forward to exercising my rights, and in participating in the discussions here. It appears I'm quite lucky to live in Kentucky and be interested in carrying a firearm for self defense.

;)

Last edited:

irish52084

Welcome! You made a great choice in a first pistol, the XD and XDM pistols are fantastic, I love mine. There's a really good handgun dvd you should check out called the art of the dynamic handgun. It's made by Magpul and is probably the best training DVD I've seen. It really helped me out and got me working on some important things that go with carrying a firearm for defense.

Gunslinger

Welcome. Although I prefer .45ACP as a PD round, my Hi-Power carries +P+ HST 124g hps. The 9x19 is an excellent, proven round for PD--with the right load, and very economical to shoot for fun. The Croats make good guns, although striker fired isn't my cup of tea. You made a good choice.

RooksGambit

Thanks for the welcomes! Yes, the choice in 9x19 (is there a difference between NATO 9x19 and "9mm"?) was almost entirely based on a need to practice and do so economically. Still a couple of paycheck's away from saving for the purchase, but it's coming soon. Took a trip to a couple of local gun shops to handle one, and did indeed like the overall presentation. I can see how outside of carrying for PD, firearms can easily become a hobby.

:D

Gunslinger

9mm Luger or Parabellum is the same as 9x19. That is the NATO round. There are also 9x17m, 9x18 and Largo--that I think is 9x21. 17 is .380 and 18 is Russkie Makarov. 9mm almost always means 9x19.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
9mm Luger or Parabellum is the same as 9x19. That is the NATO round. There are also 9x17m, 9x18 and Largo--that I think is 9x21. 17 is .380 and 18 is Russkie Makarov. 9mm almost always means 9x19.

Just for grins and edification - there is also a 9x23. I can never remember which (9x21 and 9x23) is Largo and which is Supra, so if you remember largo as 9x21, then Supra is probably 9x23. Been a while since I looked them up.

1245A Defender

well,,,

lets get this straight,,,
9X17= 380 auto
9X18= makarav
9X19= nato=parabellum=lugur
9X21 exist, but i dont know what guns

9X23= 9mm largo,, also 9mm styre,, 9X23 winchester, also similar 38 auto, 38 super

my gun is a Star Modelo Super A, 9mm largo, it will shoot styre and 38 auto and 38 super,
i have also shot 9X23 winchester in it, but im not supposed to, its like +P+P+

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9x21mm

The 9x21mm pistol cartridge (also known as the 9x21mm IMI or 9 mm IMI) was designed by Israel Military Industries for those markets where military service cartridges, like the 9x19mm Parabellum, are banned by law for civilian use, such as Italy and Mexico.

History
Based on the 9x19mm Parabellum cartridge, the casing was lengthened from 19 to 21 mm (0.75 to 0.83 in). The bullet sits slightly deeper, which results in almost the same overall length as the 9x19mm Parabellum cartridge.

Gunslinger

Interesting. Any reason?

Most of my favorite guns have external hammers, but that isn't why they are my favorites.

Hammers are more robust than strikers. I like seeing what state the pistol is in just by looking at it. Trigger crispness on hammer fired is 100 times better than striker. Shorter stroke and less gritty takeup or creep. Plus, lots of people at the range say how great looking my 1911s are, or recognize the Browning Hi-Power for the elegant, classic pistol it is. Nobody ever said "Wow! Is that a Glock?" And the plastic pistols are made from old pop bottles...:>
I do have the one, 24/7 OSS, like I said. Well built, not a bad DA pull, but gritty SA. However, the least accurate gun I own. But, $500 for the Taurus as opposed to $1000 for the SIGs is a 'you get what you pay for' reality. And I wouldn't freak out if I got a scratch on the Taurus.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Hammers are more robust than strikers. I like seeing what state the pistol is in just by looking at it. Trigger crispness on hammer fired is 100 times better than striker. Shorter stroke and less gritty takeup or creep. Plus, lots of people at the range say how great looking my 1911s are, or recognize the Browning Hi-Power for the elegant, classic pistol it is. Nobody ever said "Wow! Is that a Glock?" And the plastic pistols are made from old pop bottles...:>

Well, I don't believe any of those are necessary, inherent traits to a striker, but in practice you are absolutely correct.

I might make minor quibbles, but nothing would affect the validity of your observations about the end-result, in practice, with most designs that actually exist. :lol:

I, too, prefer the classic JMB designs for the reasons you've articulated, although I've never really assigned those reasons to the use of hammers instead of strikers (necessarily).

And I wouldn't freak out if I got a scratch on the Taurus.
Got something to show off in my holster wear thread? :)

Gunslinger

Well, I don't believe any of those are necessary, inherent traits to a striker, but in practice you are absolutely correct.

I might make minor quibbles, but nothing would affect the validity of your observations about the end-result, in practice, with most designs that actually exist. :lol:

I, too, prefer the classic JMB designs for the reasons you've articulated, although I've never really assigned those reasons to the use of hammers instead of strikers (necessarily).

Got something to show off in my holster wear thread? :)

You can work the actions on striker fired and smooth out the trigger feel and travel. I just like the idea that you don't have to on a quality 1911--but, as I said, you do pay for it upfront. My 69C series Hi-Power doesn't have the greatest trigger feel, but 40 years of defending me and my family gets it a bye.

(I'll have to check out the thread.)

since9

Campaign Veteran
I've always been an enthusiast of military hardware...

Like this? :lol:

I decided to instead go for the Springfield XDM 9mm 3.8. Choice in ammunition comes down to price and effectiveness. I'm going to need to practice (I've not actually fired many firearms), so I'm going to need inexpensive ammunition and 9mm is the way to go in that regard. It seems to be generally agreed that 9mm is perfectly sufficient for self defense carrying.

It's good enough. .40, .45, .357, and 10mm are all more effective, but the 9mm JHP rounds are effective in the hands of a decent marksman, so practice is certainly important. In fact, it's important for all types of ammo.

Practice with cheap, 115-gr ball ammo, available for as little as $20 per 100 rounds. Copper-jacketed is only slightly more expensive, but it'll save you scrubbing lead out of your barrel. Even with chemicals, it's a pain.

As for practice, just firing 100 rounds one after another won't help improve your marksmanship, much. Find a local range, rent the same or similar model firearm you're interested in purchasing, and enlist the help of a local expert. Ask for some tips on holding, aiming, firing, and clearing. The owner of the range or one of his associates is probably your best bet. Sometimes you can find another person at the range who's qualified to help.

Of course there are a lot of qualified people here, too!