Thread: Primland Resort - Meadows of Dan, VA - Need some guidance

Primland Resort - Meadows of Dan, VA - Need some guidance

Hi all,

Be gentle...

Strong North Carolina OC (and CC) advocate and my wife surprised me with a trip to Primland Resort. Never OC'd or even CC'd outside North Carolina. Checking as many of the OC and CC maps and law web links, just wondering if any one has had or heard of issues at the resort and/or the surrounding areas?

http://primland.com/

The other question I have is transporting my firearm with a North Carolina CHP. I understand the reciprocity recognition, but haven't found anything that comes right out and tells me in plain language how I can transport my firearm i.e., on my hip (open) preferred, concealed on my hip, or locked in my glove box? The VSP website did not shed enough light on my question.

Is there a printing law in VA too? Has VA created an Open Carry Flyer too?

Thanks everyone.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

Never heard of the resort or really been to the area, at least not recently at all. Hunting and shooting clays are in their list of activities so they must be at the least somewhat friendly.

All of the above, for the carry options.

No printing law.

What's an Open Carry Flyer?
    Last edited by Curtis; 03-07-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Hi all,

Be gentle...

Strong North Carolina OC (and CC) advocate and my wife surprised me with a trip to Primland Resort. Never OC'd or even CC'd outside North Carolina. Checking as many of the OC and CC maps and law web links, just wondering if any one has had or heard of issues at the resort and/or the surrounding areas?

http://primland.com/

The other question I have is transporting my firearm with a North Carolina CHP. I understand the reciprocity recognition, but haven't found anything that comes right out and tells me in plain language how I can transport my firearm i.e., on my hip (open) preferred, concealed on my hip, or locked in my glove box? The VSP website did not shed enough light on my question.

Is there a printing law in VA too? Has VA created an Open Carry Flyer too?

Thanks everyone.
    Overall very easy to generalize:

You may OC a holstered handgun almost any where except post offices, federal buildings and courthouses. OK in restaurants, municipal buildings, non-secure areas of police stations, city parks. Only real diiference worth noting here is if you CC in a restaurant, you may not indulge in adult beverages.

The VCDL Membership Brochure will give more detail and add a few more places. I would recommend downloading it and printing it out to bring with you.
    Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) Document

Primeland Resort is private property and cannot find any reference to guns - I think I would not ask and discretely CC until I found out differently. The Blue Ridge Pkwy and much off the land around it is NPS controlled - OK to carry just not in an building regularly staffed.

Enjoy your stay in Virginia.

The correct file for gun laws should be
    http://www.vcdl.org/static/ccw.html
    not he one previously mentioned - scroll down to the bottom of that page just beyond the map and you will find them listed.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-08-2011 at 01:17 AM. Reason: correction
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Never heard of the resort or really been to the area, at least not recently at all. Hunting and shooting clays are in their list of activities so they must be at the least somewhat friendly.

All of the above, for the carry options.

No printing law.

What's an Open Carry Flyer?
    Curtis the OC flyer is like our VCDL tri-fold with all of the law references. We just redid it - hope the new one (very few changes) is the one on line. Unfortunately my pdf reader is corrupt and I cannot seem to clear it out and download a new one. I hate Adobe X - that is what is causing me the problem.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Curtis the OC flyer is like our VCDL tri-fold with all of the law references. We just redid it - hope the new one (very few changes) is the one on line. Unfortunately my pdf reader is corrupt and I cannot seem to clear it out and download a new one. I hate Adobe X - that is what is causing me the problem.
    Thought so, but didn't want to make any assumptions.

You can clear it out just fine.

And then you go to Best Buy and tell them to leave you alone until you want them to pick the last of the computer you want off the tip-top shelf so you can pay for it.

Curtis, you have no idea how close I came tonight, even had the safety off.

Had this one built to my specs - not the biggest and baddest possible, but just what I wanted and plenty fast with plenty of RAM. Still wires and stuff though - and if stuff can, it will. Fixed the silly conniving b!tch though.

Looong story short, I can read pdf again.

The best file for gun laws would be
    http://www.vcdl.org/static/ccw.html
    not the one previously mentioned - scroll down to the bottom of that page just beyond the map and you will find them listed.

Thanks

Fantastic information. Thank you Curtis and Grapeshot. Printed me a card and put it into my wallet.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson