• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Today's experience

StevenSTL

So, today I decided to OC at Bass Pro in St. Charles for a bit to blow some time before my dinner with Kellogg. I was in the store looking at camping equipment and pistols for about 15 minutes before I was confronted by a manager. He politely pulled me to the side and informed me that Bass Pro was a family oriented business and that I needed to go to my car and remove my firearm or have my slide locked open with a zip-tie. As we walked towards the door together I asked if concealed carry was allowed in the store. He said yes. So, I went to my car and changed from my Blackhawk holster into my Crossbreed holster and went back into the store with it concealed. While walking to my car, I noticed a St. Charles city police officer in the parking lot. I don't know if it was coincidence or if they had called him, but I noted it either way. When I returned to the store, the manager met me at the door and then walked me to the gun counter and helped fondle all the guns I was looking at. I would never buy a gun from them on the basis they are overpriced, but I needed some way to waste some time before dinner.

After dinner, I went to WalMart where I was confronted twice by customers and asked if I was a cop. After I told them no, they asked me what I was carrying for. I said personal protection. They asked what I was scared of and I gave them my favorite response, "Nothing now, I have backup on my hip."

Interesting Open Carry day for sure.

cash50

I've never been hassled for OC in Bass Pro before. I do my best to carry a stern look though, that way nobody wants to talk to me....kidding. Although people sometimes mistake my "deep in thought" look for me being mad. After asking why you can't OC, I woulda told the guy ok well I'll go to Cabela's, where they allow OC and have better prices and selection.

randyj

Here's what I've been told...

I live in Independence...and this is the response I received from the Bass Pro Shop GM at the time (he is no longer employed by Bass Pro) :

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

You are correct about open carry within our store. We support the state and local laws regarding open carry.

Feel free to exercise this right within our building.

Have a great week.

Todd McGuire

Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 5:21 PM
To: Manager_Independence_Mo
Subject: Re: Corporate policy on "Open Carry" of handguns in your store

Dear Mr. McGuire,

I am writing to get clarification on Bass Pro’s corporate policy on the “open carry” of handguns in your Indep. Store. It is my understanding that it is Bass Pro’s policy to support whatever state and local laws there are regarding it. In our case, it is legal in the state of Missouri, as well as in the city of Independence.

Therefore, I can only assume that there would be no problem with exercising that right within your store, would that be correct? Also, when I last visited your store I did not see any signage ie; “gunbuster” signs stating that handguns were not permitted.

I would appreciate your official response. Thanks so much.

sohighlyunlikely

Bass Pro

I have Open Carry-ed in that Bass Pro at leas a dozen times. Other than an odd look from the greeter and on another occasion possibly followed around by the loss prevention guy for about a half hour. No one has said even a single word to me. Next time I am in that area I will stop in and ask to speak to the manager to get his response to take to corporate.

StevenSTL,
Do you know the name of the manager that spoke to you?

Doc

StevenSTL

StevenSTL,
Do you know the name of the manager that spoke to you?

Doc

I don't recall what his name was. He was a shorter guy. Short brown hair and glasses.

On a side note, I got followed around the O'fallon walmart by a Leo. He then pulled me to the side to talk. The door greater called in a man with gun on me. The cop was extremely courteous. Asked me to put my jacket over it and I complied until I left the store.

sohighlyunlikely

I don't recall what his name was. He was a shorter guy. Short brown hair and glasses.

On a side note, I got followed around the O'Fallon walmart by a Leo. He then pulled me to the side to talk. The door greater called in a man with gun on me. The cop was extremely courteous. Asked me to put my jacket over it and I complied until I left the store.

I support you Open Carrying as much as you do to help show firearms as something as a carry tool not just for cops and robbers. If a store doesn't want you to have a Openly Carry-ed firearm they are in there rights to ask you to cover or leave, But I want to know who these stores are. I will be putting together and maintaining a thread just for businesses to boycott. But I need more than just a greeters opinion. If you are comfortable in doing so. Do as you are asked then find out exactly under who's authority they are speaking. I want 1st name, last name, title and contact #. As well any place you see posted I would like to know.

Doc

Jim40Cal

I also live in Independence and last summer went to Bass Pro in Independence. I was relieved of my weapon at the door and they put a trigger lock on it. I now had to carry it around in my back pocket as it wouldn't fit in my holster. We refused to buy anything after this encounter and we've never been back.

kylemoul

i was at bass today at 530pm and open carried with no issue.

as far as people asking why you think you need to carry of what are you scared of, i almost want to ask what crimeless fantacy world they live in, and ask if they knew anyone family or friend who has been beaten, raped, robbed, or killed.

maybe that would make them open their mind a little?

cash50

Personally, I wouldn't cover the weapon. That's great that the cop was courteous, but it's not like Walmart told you to leave, or you were breaking any law in O'Fallon. Tell em thanks, but no thanks.

KBCraig

How do you know he was actually a Bass Pro manager? Or anyone with authority to tell you to put the gun away or leave?

I know that sounds flippant, but seriously: how do you know? We've heard multiple reports of some random store employee with no authority, or even a customer claiming to be a current or former LEO, making demands for which they had no lawful authority.

Superlite27

i was at bass today at 530pm and open carried with no issue.

as far as people asking why you think you need to carry of what are you scared of, i almost want to ask what crimeless fantacy world they live in, and ask if they knew anyone family or friend who has been beaten, raped, robbed, or killed.

maybe that would make them open their mind a little?

I simply ask them, "Do you think the students who were killed at Virginia Tech thought they "needed" to carry a gun the morning they went to class?".

Whatever their answer is, I simply reply, "In their last moment before death, as Cho was pointing his gun at their heads, do you think they wish they had?".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I also live in Independence and last summer went to Bass Pro in Independence. I was relieved of my weapon at the door and they put a trigger lock on it. I now had to carry it around in my back pocket as it wouldn't fit in my holster. We refused to buy anything after this encounter and we've never been back.

Not withstanding corporate policy of Bass Pro, which I understand is to permit legal carry in accordance with state law; I will never be relieved of my gun consensually in similar circumstances and never agree to having a trigger lock placed thereon by a private actor. Hope your gun was not loaded when so secured. If not, then I presume that a loaded gun was handled in the store at the entrance by either you or the employee - a very unsafe practice.

Sorry that you had this problem - even more sorry that you did not follow up with corporate.

Once had a situation with a greeter at Bass Pro in Ashland, Va. - the greeter actually reached for my holstered 1911 while announcing, "I need to check that." Can you say, "defensive maneuver?" My reaction then was to clearly demand the presence of the store manager NOW!

Semi-good conversation with the store manager, was allowed to shop and OC, followed up with corporate and was told that they would be in touch with the manger. Received a phone call from the manager, an apology and an invitation to come back and shop anytime. Been back numerous times w/o incident.

MK

I regularly go to the Bass Pro Outdoor World in Columbia and as of yet have never had the issue of my openly carried firearm brought up by any employee. Same thing for the Wal Marts in the Jefferson City and Columbia areas. In fact, I don't believe I've ever had any store employee comment in the slightest about my carrying on their premises in Central MO. I've had random people ask me if I was in law enforcement or ask me about the legality of it. I've had one person who carried concealed, stop and exclaim "hey, an open carrier" and then engaged in a friendly conversation with me about carrying. Over the weekend I was fishing on the bank below Bagnell Dam and a game warden came and spoke with me about my fishing results and checked my fishing permit and ID but never made a mention about the firearm. I've had numerous instances where law enforcement have seen me open carrying and yet have any of them stop me as a result of my carry or even ask me about it.

My only firearm issue ever that I have had here in Mid Missouri was when I had my weapon removed from my vehicle at a sobriety checkpoint. They wanted to check the serial numbers on it during the stop but then backed off that idea after I sternly protested and argued about them not being lawfully authorized to do that during that particular stop.

My experiences in Mid Missouri and most definitely while shopping at Bass Pro here is that both the people, employees and public servants are relaxed or at least, not confrontational, about our rights to carry. I hope it continues to stay that way.

REALteach4u

Thanks for posting this. What many of us have been told, specifically in Springfield, is that BPS has NO corporate policy against OC or CCW provided it's lawful carry.

Currently there is also a controversy over them being able to check your guns in to go to the range as it would violate their respect of CCW as well as is argued to violate the 4th Amendment (a LEO made this argument recently and it forced a policy change).

So I strongly suggest that the OP contact the Corporate Office and ask for their policy in writing AND that the particular store in question be promptly corrected, specifically the employee(s) involved.

2500 East Kearney Street Springfield, MO 65898-0001 - (417) 873-5000

mspgunner

I OC'd in Bass Proshop in St. Charles on March 7th 2011, no questions, no problem. I hope you'll join us for an OC event Sunday March 13th in Sunset Hills.

StevenSTL

I OC'd in Bass Proshop in St. Charles on March 7th 2011, no questions, no problem. I hope you'll join us for an OC event Sunday March 13th in Sunset Hills.

I wish I could make this one, Marc. I have to work that day. We are in wedding season at Ameristar right now and I'm going to be busier than ever for the next few months. Not looking forward to it.

I don't know why I've been singled out so much in the past few days. Honestly, I think it's because I'm so young and people get nervous when they see young guys carrying guns.