• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OTish: Man killed by Police... a couple blocks from me.

tannerwaterbury

This happened 5 blocks away from me, I was surprised I didn't hear sirens or gunshots from that distance.

http://tdn.com/news/local/article_43a7be98-49a1-11e0-95a2-001cc4c03286.html

Police shot and killed a 31-year-old Kelso man early Tuesday morning after he pointed a gun at SWAT officers, the Kelso Police Department said in a statement.

The man, whose identy is being withheld pending notification of his family, was shot by a member of Lower Columbia Swat.

Kelso police were dispatched around 11:30 p.m. to the area of South Third Avenue and Laurel Street for a report of a man with a gun making suicidal threats. Kelso officers tried to contact the man, who was upset over personal problems, but he refused to cooperate, the news release said.

Police called in Lower Columbia SWAT, which is comprised of Kelso and Longview police and Cowlitz County sheriff's deputies.

A police negotiator spoke with the man on the telephone, but he refused to come out. After a long time of negotiation, the man pointed a gun at SWAT officers, the news release said.

The man was shot by a SWAT team member and was later pronounced dead, the news release said.

Authorities have not yet released the name of the SWAT officer involved in the shooting.

The Regional Major Crimes Team comprised of detectives with the Clark County Sheriff's Office and Vancouver Police Department are investigating the incident. Investigators with those agencies were on scene Tuesday morning.

amlevin

This appears to be a new method that police use to stop suicide attempts. Just confront them and then shoot them.

Recently Seattle PD shot a guy who was all alone in his car with a gun. Nobody else in danger.

Wonder if it makes it possible for the victim's family to collect on any life insurance policy. Cause of death would truly be "at the hands of other parties" rather than "at his own hand" which often invalidates the policy.

skiingislife725

Interesting question regarding life insurance...although I doubt that's part of the thought process of either the suicidal person or the cops. And I think the cops are just in a crappy spot on these things...it seems like suicide by cop is becoming more prevalent. It's too bad for everyone, but it'd be nice if someone that wants to take the shortcut out of this world would not make someone else suffer emotionally that doesn't even need to be involved.

irish52084

Isn't suicide illegal? It seems odd to me that killing yourself is a crime.

It bothers me that people want to kill themselves but don't have the nerve so they call 911 and get the police to shoot them. Stop being such pansies and either kill yourself or stop wasting everyone's time and money. Then there is the affect it has on the person who has to shoot you and how that impacts their life. All because you wanted to kill yourself and didn't have the gonads to do it you've now made several people's lives worse. Congratulations to all the suicide by cop A-holes, you've managed to die and leave the mess for everyone else to clean up, oh and you've probably ruined several peoples perfectly good lives in the process. :banghead:

joeroket

Isn't suicide illegal? It seems odd to me that killing yourself is a crime.

No it is not. The failure of it is grounds for an involuntary committal to a mental hospital. It is only unlawful to promote suicide or to aid another in committing suicide, unless it is done under the death with dignity law.

jbone

This appears to be a new method that police use to stop suicide attempts. Just confront them and then shoot them.

Recently Seattle PD shot a guy who was all alone in his car with a gun. Nobody else in danger.

Wonder if it makes it possible for the victim's family to collect on any life insurance policy. Cause of death would truly be "at the hands of other parties" rather than "at his own hand" which often invalidates the policy.

Still Suicide. Just "suicide by police"

The man pointed a gun, they fired. I suppose it would have ended better if the coward fired first and innocents were hit. Chances are the person lacked the nerve to pull the trigger, and forced another to do it. It's suicide!

Lovenox

I believe that some insurance companies have a two year clause on life insurance policies. Meaning, if the party insured takes thier life within two years of the policy commencing then there will be no payout.
I wonder if I can take out life insurance policy on Charlie Sheen??

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Interesting question regarding life insurance...although I doubt that's part of the thought process of either the suicidal person or the cops. And I think the cops are just in a crappy spot on these things...it seems like suicide by cop is becoming more prevalent. It's too bad for everyone, but it'd be nice if someone that wants to take the shortcut out of this world would not make someone else suffer emotionally that doesn't even need to be involved.

I've heard of cases of "suicide by cop" for life insurance.