Thread: Dash Cameras or Vehicle Black Box

Dash Cameras or Vehicle Black Box

Does anyone else have a Dash Camera or Black Box in their vehicle? Purchased one a few months ago. Wide angle 720p 2hrs of video\audio record time, records 24/7 or when the vehicle DC ports are powered, loops over oldest videos when the SD card fills, GPS tagging.

I have one because of way to many close calls with other drivers but it also works perfectly for recording traffic stops. No digging around trying to push record on a cell phone.

I can't say I have either, but I got some new batteries for a really old voice recorder I bought years ago, which hold about 30 minutes of audio. I'm only going to use it as my backup source for recording audio, just in case I don't have my iPhone out and ready to go.
    Join Wisconsin Carry today, defend your rights!

Wisconsin Carry member since March, 2011

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

I will be getting a vehicle black box when I purchase my new car. I'm still searching for a better price on one.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    I think it is the wisest decision any could make. Cover your arse!!

That's an amazing little system for 300 bucks, I don't know if you're going to be able to beat that. I'd pay for one of those at that price.
    Join Wisconsin Carry today, defend your rights!

Wisconsin Carry member since March, 2011

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro01 View Post
    That's an amazing little system for 300 bucks, I don't know if you're going to be able to beat that. I'd pay for one of those at that price.
    Pretty cool technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro01 View Post
    I've seen that model from 250-300. I'm just saving for a new car at the moment and when I get close, I'll order it, along with a couple other cameras to record my driving. Gotta love 1080p recording!

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I heard once that all new cars these days have a black box under the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by onestar 50 View Post
    That is the rumor. However, many people (like the National Motor Association) are fighting against it.

The black box in newer cars is true. Dad worked for Ford nearly 40 years. Remember when there was that huge pileup a few years ago on I-90 because of fog, something like a 70 car stack? They ran diagnostic on the black boxes in the cars that had them, pretty creepy stuff, like decelerating from 72mph to a dead stop in under a second. Think about that.

The vehicle computer system can record certain data for a short period of time. (30sec or so) that doesn't include video or audio of the situation as it happens. It will tattle on your speed, how far the gas peddle was pressed, brake pressure, rpm, fuel ratio, G force, all sorts of data. Anything you can read using a digital programmer tied to a laptop really.

That technology has been used in the big rigs for years.

I knew which drivers were haulin a+s...
    and which drivers weren't....as
    well as who obeyed the speed limits and who didnt...

Avg cruise speed...time spent in what gear,idle time
    fuel consumption rates and the number of panic stops.

I could download a 3 page report on the driving habits
    of any driver....any truck.
    Right down to who double clutches...and who "slides 'em"

Big Brother IS watching....And has been for too long.

LR Yote
    Last edited by LR Yote 312; 03-08-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: add a thought
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by LR Yote 312 View Post
    I could download a 3 page report on the driving habits
    of any driver....any truck.
    Right down to who double clutches...and who "slides 'em"
    Nothing wrong with some straight stickin
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

My 2002 Corvette has one. It's supposed to record the last tens seconds of data IIRC.

Thumbs up The Only Black Box Under My Seat Is For....

Quote Originally Posted by onestar 50 View Post
    storing my firearm.

As for camera VS the black box I currently have a GoPro Camera mounted on my dash which records for 8.5 hours using a 32 Gig SD card. I've been using it for quite a few months now and on the lowest resolution it is simply amazing. I used it a few weeks ago to record flying (in a private plane).

Now that Protias has posted the black box link I will definitely get one of those! Thanks Protias!

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    storing my firearm.

As for camera VS the black box I currently have a GoPro Camera mounted on my dash which records for 8.5 hours using a 32 Gig SD card. I've been using it for quite a few months now and on the lowest resolution it is simply amazing. I used it a few weeks ago to record flying (in a private plane).

Now that Protias has posted the black box link I will definitely get one of those! Thanks Protias!
    I've been searching for something like that for a year now and since this thread was created, I'd thought I'd share my find with everyone else.

The GoPro HD really in a nice camera. That would be another one to go with.

I thought it was illegal in Wisconsin to mount anything on windshield. If so, where would you mount the camera?
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    I thought it was illegal in Wisconsin to mount anything on windshield. If so, where would you mount the camera?
    Not that I'm aware of. I know MN and CA it is illegal to have anything on your windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Not that I'm aware of. I know MN and CA it is illegal to have anything on your windshield.
    And New York.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    data recording has been very common in GM since around 1994, allegedly insurance companies are required to get subpoenas to access the information.

All running parameters, speed, seatbelt use, everything is recorded for diagnostics and crash sensor data.
    It is both good and bad IMO. Pretty soon when some liberal ****** tries to outlaw smoking in our own vehicles, I bet we see smoke detectors linked to satellites to get us arrested.

Look at how NJ issues speeding tickets on the turnpike, you get times between toll booths and if you averaged over the limit, you get nicked. Look at AZ with their speed cameras!

Then look at the UK with all their recording, and in MKE with their billion dollar shot finder that will be nothing but problems and abandoned like the other cities that tried it,.

Exclamation It is already illegal to smoke in your own home in parts of KA and in your vehicle if

a minor is in your vehicle with you. KA = KalifornIa.

Just wait until someones cool dash cam is used against them in court..all that techy stuff is great until it get used against you.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    Just wait until someones cool dash cam is used against them in court..all that techy stuff is great until it get used against you.
    Take the cards out so they can't use them.

Edit: Also, they cannot take those videos from you. That is your property and you can choose to use it in court or not (at least in this state that I'm aware of).
    Last edited by protias; 03-10-2011 at 11:53 AM.

McX
    i understand the need for the application. but you do realize that you are advocating what is in the public venue, and you abhor.