• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The way it will really be - unless....

phred

I just thought I would pass on "the way it will really be"

Greetings from Personal Protection Academy,

I’m receiving lots of requests for updates on a Wisconsin permit-to-carry bill. It’s great to hear from so many, but with over 3000 clients, I’m worried I’m going to be apologizing for my delays in responding during coming months. There’s a better way. This note provides a self-help and MUCH more timely method for you to keep tabs on a bill as it winds its way through the halls of Wisconsin government.

The Wisconsin Legislative Notification System allows anyone the opportunity to follow legislation by receiving daily or weekly automated email updates for specific legislative activities. Subscribe to these updates here: http://notify.legis.wisconsin.gov.

Establish your account and login information. Then, click on the link Add Items at the top of the page to choose items to follow. You can choose items by Proposal, Committee, Author, or Subject and can select the activities for which you would like to receive notifications. The key words I use to follow our topics are … weapon, weapons, concealed, firearm, and firearms. If you determine others yield more info please let me know and I’ll pass them along to others.

Below is a rough outline of the legislative steps you and I should be tracking as a bill progresses.

1. A primary bill author will be designated in the Senate (or Assembly). If introduced in the Senate, the author will probably by Pam Galloway. If in the Assembly, it could possibly be Scott Gunderson.

2. The author will request an initial layman’s draft be completed by the Legislative Reference Bureau.

3. Various rewrites will be undertaken.

4. The bill will be introduced in the Senate (or Assembly).

5. The bill will be referred by that body’s leader to a relevant standing committee.

6. The committee chairperson will schedule a public hearing on the bill.

7. The committee chair will schedule a committee vote on the bill.

8. The committee will pass the bill.

9. The bill will be submitted to the respective body’s Rules Committee to determine if it should move forward.

10. The bill will be forwarded to the floor for debate.

11. That floor will consider amendments.

12. The bill will be passed by a simple majority in that body.

13. The bill will be forwarded to the other body, the Assembly (or Senate).

14. The bill will be referred by that body’s leader to a relevant standing committee.

15. The committee chairperson will schedule a public hearing on the bill.

16. The committee chair will schedule a committee vote on the bill.

17. The committee will pass the bill.

18. The bill will be submitted to the respective body’s Rules Committee to determine if it should move forward.

19. The bill will be forwarded to the floor for debate.

20. The floor will consider amendments.

21. Bills from the Assembly and Senate will be synchronized.

22. A synchronized bill will be passed by a simple majority in the second body.

23. The synchronized bill will be forwarded to Governor Walker for signing.

24. The bill will become Wisconsin law.

25. An agency will be designated to design and manage the permitting process.

26. The permitting process will be sent to a committee to work out specific procedures for qualifying training curriculums and trainers, permit application processes, and the like.

27. The final process will be converted to type.

28. The process will be sent to the Joint Committee for review of administrative rules.

29. Permitting agency personnel will be hired, offices opened, and forms and licenses developed.

30. Finally, the State will begin processing citizen applications.

It’s a long path that could be accomplished in a month, but is more likely to take a few. Whatever the case, I’m confident the final bill will look much like the permit-to-carry course we conduct, including lawful self-defense education, great big dose of safety, handgun training and shooting fundamentals, a live-fire component, and info on methods and mechanics of safe carry, concealment, and storage.

Please let me know questions.

With very best regards,

Michael Bender

Personal Protection Academy

(888) 657-4668

PPA-WI.com

1FASTC4

Thanks. This guy is no ally of mine. No doubt he would have CCW permit requirements enacted.

protias

I took his level 1 handgun course (UT non resident) just because I wanted to be able to carry in other states. Needless to say, I will no longer be purchasing any of his other classes.

CalicoJack10

I met bender, and I believe that is basically a fitting name. He is talented at the fast talk, and he is definitely a great salesman. But I believe that in order to help people understand self defense with a firearm, you have to have experience defending yourself with a firearm. Anybody can teach someone how to shoot. But aside from the mechanics of shooting, you have to effectively translate the other parts of self defense. That is what makes instructors like Masad Ayoob so effective and highly sought after.

I shoot pistols to the tune of more than 10,000 rounds a year on average. But it is being able to relate my self defense and combat experience that makes me an effective instructor. It is also that experience that allows me to train shooters to be effective in self defense.

The thing that bender is missing in all of this is that no matter if it is permit carry or constitutional carry, the end game is all about saving the lives of good people. NOT about making sure you can make money off of those who want to keep themselves and their families safe.

My opinion is that this fact alone takes him out of the relm of someone who wants to further gun rights, and places him firmly in the relm of nothing more than a business.

protias

Exactly my thoughts Jack. When I took his class, I did not really care for him. I much preferred learning from Bob Llanas at Fletcher's. He taught me actually how to shoot rather than the laws, more laws, other blah, blah, blah, etc. Some stuff was good, like don't talk to police or to say you think you are having a heart attack so you don't talk to police immediately.

I want to learn defensive shooting!

johnny amish

We must make noise to be heard. Lots of noise. If we do not let them know what we want in no uncertain terms, we will get what we get.

Great advise.
If we don't stay in constant contact with our lawmakers they will ignore us. It is my lifes goal right now to be a pain in the arss to Kapanke and Nerison. They are under no missunderstanding what my intentions are. It is up to all of to do the same...

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Exactly my thoughts Jack. When I took his class, I did not really care for him. I much preferred learning from Bob Llanas at Fletcher's. He taught me actually how to shoot rather than the laws, more laws, other blah, blah, blah, etc. Some stuff was good, like don't talk to police or to say you think you are having a heart attack so you don't talk to police immediately.

I took a CCW class 4 years ago...good stuff was taught,the laws, etc... & I took a Action pistol concepts 1 & the Advanced class, lot's of good Defensive drills in those classes.,Shooting from Cover & Concealment, etc. Training classes are great & valuable knowledge is taught but training should not be mandated.

CalicoJack10

If you get up this way I will teach you. Lol

Aside from that, I like the guys from Fletchers, if they don't know something they admit it.

As far as training goes, starting this summer I will be starting a series of seminars that will be like $50 each, and will cover stuff in detail, like stress shooting versus "combat shooting", and the psychology of self defense. I will also be doing 100% shooting seminars. And there is always the added bonus that if we get constitutional carry I will be doing CCW classes for free.

Money don't mean nada compared to the safety of good people.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran

Aside from that, I like the guys from Fletchers, if they don't know something they admit it.

As far as training goes, starting this summer I will be starting a series of seminars that will be like $50 each, and will cover stuff in detail, like stress shooting versus "combat shooting", and the psychology of self defense. I will also be doing 100% shooting seminars. And there is always the added bonus that if we get constitutional carry I will be doing CCW classes for free.

Where are you located ? I might be interested in your classes too :)

CalicoJack10

Where are you located ? I might be interested in your classes too :)

I am in Minocqua. I drop 25% for members of Wisconsin Carry Inc and I have a hook up with the AmericInn (the only gun friendly/open carry friendly hotel in town). I have been working with them to make sure they know the laws and will likely be training the staff on open carry so there is no bad LEO encounters while we are there.

I also already do free open carry classes. And I would be doing free seminars if I did not have to pay for the space.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

So how does this work? Do you teach during the week? How long are the classes? How many people do you need for a class?

CalicoJack10

The length of the class depends on the course you wanna take. The seminars will be a couple/few hours. I prefer private classes, if not private than I like a minimum number of attendees. And I am 33 and retired military, so I schedule the classes anytime I am not coaching special olympics or spending time with my daughter. So I have a lot of time to do courses.

I have been considering group classes, but everyone who takes a course has their own idiosyncrasies so I like to spend as much one on one time as is needed.

I know that what I charge for classes puts me up as an outcast in the firearms instructor community. But like I said, I am far more concerned with people than I am with lining my pockets.

P.S. Phred, #5 was awesome, I laughed myself to tears over that one!

Last edited:

protias

I will have to take you up on that this summer. Just pistol or do you also teach long guns?

Last edited:

CalicoJack10

Here is the general list of what I offer:

Home Firearms Safety
Basic Marksmanship
Basic Handgun
Basic Rifle
Basic Shotgun
Tactical Handgun Refresher
Tactical Handgun
Tactical Shotgun Refresher
Tactical Shotgun
Tactical Carbine Refresher
Tactical Carbine
Tactical Precision Rifle Refresher
Tactical Precision Rifle
Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Program (For score Keeping and Certification)
Skeet/Trap/Clay
Precision Shotgun
Smallbore Rifle/Pistol
Large Bore Rifle
Precision Pistol
Precision Shotgun
Fundamentals of Open / Concealed Carry
Open / Concealed Carry Refresher
Open / Concealed Carry (Advanced)
Hunters One Shot One Kill Course
Hunters Marksmanship
Hunters "Back Up Gun"
Unarmed Self Defense
Armed Self Defense
In Home Event Planning
Lock/Fire/Alarm Advise and planning
Basic Side Arm Gunsmithing (For people who want to get more firmilliar with their side arm)

If things work out and I can get a store front, I will also be building custom tactical and precision weapons, as well as hand engraving firearms.

I also have a free open carry course for those who want training and already (or want to) open carry in Wisconsin, and as always, if we do get constitutional carry, I will be teaching a free concealed carry course (Depending on if I have to pay to teach it).

I am not a salesman, I am a marksman, and as such I am not very good at this business stuff. But I also don't really care about the money too much. I am far more concerned with making sure we continue to further our 2A rights. And in my opinion the best way i can do that is to make it so that those that do carry, are elite if it ever comes to a situation where they have to use their side arm.

That is also why I am constantly probing my legislature (Many of whom expect my weekly calls) and work diligently with local businesses to further our rights and keep "No Firearms" signs from going up in my area.