• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The way it will really be - unless....

safcrkr

The outline of the process is right on, with one "possible" exception. Instead of two public hearings (one for Senate, one for Assembly) there'll likely be just one joint committee hearing. That's how the last two bills (the two vetoed by Doyle) progressed. I was at those hearings. You wouldn't believe some of the rantings of the anti-gunners that had more to do with banning guns altogether, rather than allowing CC. But they were vastly outnumbered by pro-CCW people, and passed through those committees with little trouble.

When a bill finally comes up, and the hearing(s) is scheduled, we need a HUGE turnout. If you have something to say ("testify") you must sign up to do so. Everyone gets their time at the microphone. Normally, those that represent an organization go first, followed by individuals who want to put their 2 cents in.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
The outline of the process is right on, with one "possible" exception. Instead of two public hearings (one for Senate, one for Assembly) there'll likely be just one joint committee hearing. That's how the last two bills (the two vetoed by Doyle) progressed. I was at those hearings. You wouldn't believe some of the rantings of the anti-gunners that had more to do with banning guns altogether, rather than allowing CC. But they were vastly outnumbered by pro-CCW people, and passed through those committees with little trouble.

When a bill finally comes up, and the hearing(s) is scheduled, we need a HUGE turnout. If you have something to say ("testify") you must sign up to do so. Everyone gets their time at the microphone. Normally, those that represent an organization go first, followed by individuals who want to put their 2 cents in.

Count me in to be at the Hearing, I live in Green Bay so maybe when the time comes we can car pool.

CalicoJack10

I will go too, if for no other reason than to be a thorn in the sides of all the money grubbing instructors. I will even dress in a button down and tie instead of my usual cutoff t-shirt and Jeans.

phred

From another instructor

GREETINGS FROM BDJ Ltd,

I’m receiving lots of requests for updates on a Wisconsin permit-to-carry bill. It’s great to hear from you, but I’m worried that I'll be apologizing for my delays in responding during coming months. There is a better way. This note provides a self-help and MUCH more timely method for you to keep tabs on a bill as it winds its way through the halls of Wisconsin government.

I would like to take a moment to thank, and give due credit, to Mike Bender of PPA, for his efforts in assembling the following...

For the record I am just passing on his work to you.

The Wisconsin Legislative Notification System allows anyone the opportunity to follow legislation by receiving daily or weekly automated email updates for specific legislative activities. Subscribe to these updates here: http://notify.legis.wisconsin.gov.

Establish your account and login information. Then, click on the link Add Items at the top of the page to choose items to follow. You can choose items by Proposal, Committee, Author, or Subject and can select the activities for which you would like to receive notifications. The key words I use to follow our topics are … weapon, weapons, concealed, firearm, and firearms. If you determine others yield more info please let me know and I’ll pass them along to others.

Below is a rough outline of the legislative steps you and I should be tracking as a bill progresses.

1. A primary bill author will be designated in the Senate (or Assembly). If introduced in the Senate, the author will probably by Pam Galloway. If in the Assembly, it is unknown at this time.

2. The author will request an initial layman’s draft be completed by the Legislative Reference Bureau.

3. Various rewrites will be undertaken.

4. The bill will be introduced in the Senate (or Assembly).

5. The bill will be referred by that body’s leader to a relevant standing committee.

6. The committee chairperson will schedule a public hearing on the bill.

7. The committee chair will schedule a committee vote on the bill.

8. The committee will pass the bill.

9. The bill will be submitted to the respective body’s Rules Committee to determine if it should move forward.

10. The bill will be forwarded to the floor for debate.

11. That floor will consider amendments.

12. The bill will be passed by a simple majority in that body.

13. The bill will be forwarded to the other body, the Assembly (or Senate).

14. The bill will be referred by that body’s leader to a relevant standing committee.

15. The committee chairperson will schedule a public hearing on the bill.

16. The committee chair will schedule a committee vote on the bill.

17. The committee will pass the bill.

18. The bill will be submitted to the respective body’s Rules Committee to determine if it should move forward.

19. The bill will be forwarded to the floor for debate.

20. The floor will consider amendments.

21. Bills from the Assembly and Senate will be synchronized.

22. A synchronized bill will be passed by a simple majority in the second body.

23. The synchronized bill will be forwarded to Governor Walker for signing.

24. The bill will become Wisconsin law.

25. An agency will be designated to design and manage the permitting process.

26. The permitting process will be sent to a committee to work out specific procedures for qualifying training curriculums and trainers, permit application processes, and the like.

27. The final process will be converted to type.

28. The process will be sent to the Joint Committee for review of administrative rules.

29. Permitting agency personnel will be hired, offices opened, and forms and licenses developed.

30. Finally, the State will begin processing citizen applications.

It’s a long path that could be accomplished in a month, but is more likely to take a few. Whatever the case, I’m confident the final bill will look much like the permit-to-carry course we conduct, including lawful self-defense education, great big dose of safety, handgun training and shooting fundamentals, a live-fire component, and info on methods and mechanics of safe carry, concealment, and storage.

Take Care & Keep Shootin',
Yours,
Bill Schmitz

Chairman WCCA--Wisconsin Concealed Carry Association
NRA Firearms and Personal Defense Instructor
AACFI Wisconsin Senior Firearms Instructor
Minnesota DPS Certified Firearms Instructor
Utah BCI Certified Firearms Instructor
Utah National Instructors Team
www.BDJ-Ltd.com
920-295-9435
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
From another instructor

Right to keep and bear arms. SECTION 25. [As created
Nov. 1998] The people have the right to keep and bear arms for
security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.
[1995 J.R. 27, 1997 J.R. 21, vote November 1998]

They just don't understand Rights!