• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senate Bill 98 has Reached The Full Senate Public Safety Committee!

aadvark

Senate Bill 98 would Authorize The Creation of an additional Paragraph (a.1) that Georgia Weapons Carry License Holders may Carry a Firearm in ANY Place in The State of Georgia EXCEPT: Courthouses, Jails, Prisons, School Safety Zones as Defined under 16-11-127, and Nuclear Power Plants.
No more Government Building and Voting Booth Bans..., should this Pass The Full Committee AND The Full Floor of The Georgia General Assembly.
Should this Bill be Modified by Committee, The Modification will not Appear until Tomorrow!
Hopefully..., The Committee will Recomend DO PASS on Senate Bill 98!

aadvark

Fallschirmjäger:

I am still waiting for The Results of The Committee Meeting...

aadvark

Last edited:

Kingfish

The bill passed out of the committee with a substitute bill. Not great but not too bad. Does need some work.

Will post link when I see one.

aadvark

KingFish:

The Newest Version is UNACCEPTABLE, PERIOD!

Any Legislation that Exempts Local Governments from the Application of Georgia Law 16-11-173 will NOT Pass The Georgia General Assembly House of Representatives!

Fortunately, Georgia Carry Organization has Indicated that this Measure was Nessecary for The Legislation to Move to The Senate Rules Committee to get Senate Bill 98 to The Senate Floor for a Vote.

I Suspect that The House will Edit The Offensive Part out, and Reincorporate This Legislative Bill without The Exceptions now Granted to Local Governments, notwithstanding 16-11-173, from its Current form.

Should this happen..., there will be Convened a Delegation from each Legisaltive Body to find a 'Happy-Medium', during a Senate/House Conference, prior to Final Passage.

aadvark

*** Georgia Carry Indicates that This Legislation WILL BE TOP PRIORITY for The Rules Committee, hopefully, by Monday Morning, or Wednesdya Morning, at The Lastest! ***

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Although nuclear power plants already have NRC expectations that may require that all firearms and other weapons be left outside of certain security areas, some plants already permit these self defense tools to be kept in the parking lot or in an on-site safe lock up facility. Some have no choice because state law requires the safe lock up facility. This would be a good requirement for Georgia to adopt since planned refueling outages bring in hundreds, if not a thousand or more contractors to do work from areas all over the US. These men and women would have to leave their firearm behind in their hotel room or camper trailers / RVs while they spend much of their day on site at the plant. This would also provide for workers the opportunity to keep a firearm handy on their way to and from work, which often may be a fair distance from where they live since nuclear power plants are generally sited a good stretch from any existing cities at construction time.

Kingfish

Based on this from earlier this week, I wonder what the next step will be:
Welcome to the forum.

The house will take up the measures and will either present an identical bill or a different bill. If the bills are different, then there will be a "conference committee" with members from both the senate and house that will sit down and come to an agreement on the differences in the bills. That reconciled bill is then sent to the governor. If it is identical, then it goes straight to the governor. He will then sign it, veto is or allow it to become law without his signature. If he signs it, it goes into effect immediately (most likely scenery.) If he vetoes it (highly unlikely), the legislature may attempt to override the veto and if they do, it will become law the second the votes are counted. If he lets it become law without signature then it goes into effect a month or so after he was presented it (unlikely.)

Fabricator

Thanks for the explanation and the welcome! Any thoughts of the attitude of the Governor on this?

Lastly, any idea on timetable for possible passage? Our church staff is discussing the application "security" team, and this has come up. We do not have the budget for paid security, but have no shortage of "card-carrying-members" (play on words intended). With the current legislation though, we are limited as to what we can do/discuss; pertainng to private citizens carrying weapons. Althugh thankfully, many of us view a potential misdimeanor as a worthy risk when exchanged for the security of family and community.

Fabricator

Kingfish

Any thoughts of the attitude of the Governor on this?
Friendly

Lastly, any idea on timetable for possible passage?
No

Althugh thankfully, many of us view a potential misdimeanor as a worthy risk when exchanged for the security of family and community.
You do know that any conviction of carrying at an off limits location results in losing your license for 5 years right? That 5 years is after all probation ends, so it could be 6 years. Also, when you make the decision to break the law you have given up the title "law abiding citizen". You might also want to check out what your biblical doctrine has to say on obeying mans law.

aadvark

KingFish:

As I Trust that You are Aware..., BOTH Senate Bill 98 AND Senate Bill 102 Authorize Exemptions to Georgia Code 16-11-173, and therefore, Local Governments AND County Governments would be able to Circumvent State-wide Preemption on The Subject-matter of Carrying a Firearm in a Public Buildings.

However, I have been 'Rest-Assured' by The Georgia Carry Organization that They can get these Exceptions Stirped from these Bills during The house Public Safety SubCommittee AND The House Judiciary Committee.

Exceptions to Preemption are NOT Acceptable, in any Way, Shape, Form, or Fashion!

aadvark

*** Amendments: 1, 2, 3, AND 4 ALL Passed The Senate Floor without Opposition. This is Upsetting, especially Amendment 4! ***

Fabricator

Kingfish,

I appreciate the feedback. I should not have posted that last... Period! Thanks for keeping this on the right track.

Fabricator

Tolderian

I'm not particularly gifted with legalese. Would someone be merciful enough to explain what the hell this all means? I read it, and I'm trying to figure out how this affects me as an Open Carrier.

I reiterate that I've read it and this thread. What's the break down?