• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suppressor legislation

jt59

Hey all,

If anybody has the interest or the time, you can go to Olympia, meet your legislators and see gov't in action....and provide your public testimony on this bill that will be heard tomorrow at 1:30 pm....you can even OC if you want to make the point! The Senate meets in the Chernoble building.:)

I think, that I think that Sen. Kline (chair) of the Judiciary Committee is not overly gun friendly, but the earlier Companion Bill (SB 5112) has already cleared the Jud. Committee and moved to the Rules committee on the Senate side....it is stalled in Rules on the Green Sheet, but since this other bill has already cleared the house, it is the one they will likely run with and let the SB bill die in Rules so they don't have to waste a vote or a bill on a pull to get it out on the floor....only one of them has to clear both houses.

It will be interesting if it still has legs.....I spoke with Rep Green today on the bill and why she voted on it and why it had such interest. She said "I didn't see any big issues with it, but I have no idea why it has such interest so I supported it, but it seemed kinda wierd that this was a bill that got the support"

Sponsors: Representatives Blake, Condotta, Armstrong, Shea, Kretz, Klippert, McCune, Takko, Van De Wege, Dunshee, Probst, Liias, Miloscia, Finn, Hurst, Springer, Goodman, Rodne, Orcutt, Haigh, Dickerson, Taylor, Warnick, Hope, Dammeier, Kristiansen, Chandler, Ross, Sells, Upthegrove
Companion Bill: SB 5112

2011 REGULAR SESSION
Dec 13 Prefiled for introduction.
Jan 10 First reading, referred to Judiciary. (View Original Bill)
Jan 12 Public hearing in the House Committee on Judiciary at 8:00 AM. (Committee Materials)
Jan 13 Executive action taken in the House Committee on Judiciary at 10:00 AM. (Committee Materials)
JUDI - Executive action taken by committee.
JUDI - Majority; do pass. (Majority Report)
Jan 17 Passed to Rules Committee for second reading.
Feb 3 Rules Committee relieved of further consideration.
Placed on second reading suspension calendar.
Feb 7 Committee recommendations adopted.
Placed on third reading.
Third reading, passed; yeas, 88; nays, 4; absent, 0; excused, 6.

IN THE SENATE

Feb 8 First reading, referred to Judiciary.
Mar 9 Scheduled for public hearing in the Senate Committee on Judiciary at 1:30 PM. (Subject to change)

jt59

Watch the public hearing on your computer in Olympia

Following is a link to the legislature page for viewing the public hearing in the Senate judiciary committee...this is where the suppressor bill is being heard today.

it will start in about 25 minutes:

http://www.tvw.org/index.cfm?bhcp=1

In the center of the page is "weekly highlights" and "today"....look for it to be refreshed in the next little while before the hearing.

Last edited:

jt59

Testimony was very brief, and the chair cut-off further public comment on the basis that they had already heard this bill on the Senate side and passed it. He indicated that they were going to move this forward and that it was a "certainty" to go to rules....

skiingislife725

Looking good looking good...it was getting a little stagnant for a bit there the last few weeks. Glad to see it's picking up steam again. And thanks for keeping us updated!

amlevin

With the budget fiasco and State Employees afraid that they're going to get the same treatment as in Wisconsin, all other legislation is kind of overlooked by the press.

For a change, gun legislation is "Ho-Hum" stuff to the Media. More exciting to cover the near riot like demonstrations over possibly loosing collective bargaining rights by State Employees.

jt59

Update

This bill HB 1016 was part of a package pull today that is moving it out of rules and from the white sheet to the floor and onto the calendar.

Getting closer......