Thread: State legislator to propose bill allowing concealed weapons on college campuses

State legislator to propose bill allowing concealed weapons on college campuses

Wanted to share this article. I was quoted, and my view was given four paragraphs.

State legislator to propose bill allowing concealed weapons on college campuses
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 03-09-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: legal concerns

Yep. This is going to be Big.

Going to need EVERYONES' support.

From the NRA-ILA:
    Cosponsors Needed for the Nevada Campus Protection Act

State Senator John Lee (D-01) is requesting the NRA's help to gather cosponsors for his Campus Carry measure which, while currently in draft form as Bill Draft 742, will be in print next week.

In order to gain momentum and lay the groundwork for this important right-to-carry measure, it is extremely important that BDR 742, when it is assigned a Senate Bill number, has as many cosponsors as possible prior to its first policy committee hearing later this month.

This measure would remove the discretion provision in the current Concealed Carry Weapon laws that require permit holders to request permission to carry on property owned by the Nevada System of Higher Education. It is extremely rare for a University President to grant permission to a permit holder to carry on campus, thereby creating a defenseless position for Nevada's law-abiding gun owners.

Please contact your state Senator and Assemblyman TODAY and ask that they join with Senator Lee and place their names on this important piece of legislation. Contact information for your legislators can be found by clicking here: www.capwiz.com/nra/state/main/?state=NV&view=myofficials
    You can also find your legislator(s) here: www.leg.state.nv.us

More to come soon on this bill.

I haven't had time to post everything on this site.

I hope no one minds me posting this link, but I have been trying to keep info posted here: http://nevadashooters.com/index.php (in addition to the SFA website.)

There is a LOT going on in our legislature. Everyone is encouraged to take part.

Do we have many pro-gun legislators? You bet we do! But they NEED YOUR SUPPORT.

Activist Member
    I can't wait to see the wording of the bill they plan to introduce. Good job getting your quote in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post
    I can't wait to see the wording of the bill they plan to introduce. Good job getting your quote in the news.
    It's back from the printer. Read http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7...s/SB/SB231.pdf

Please submitt a comment and indicate your support for Senate Bill (SB) 231 at the following link;

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/AppCF/Opinion/76th2011/poll/

the bill's text looks good to me. pretty clear and straight forward.

Senate Bill 231 was discussed today, Thursday March 10 on the 5:00 p.m. ET broadcast of NRA News' 'The Daily News with Ginny Simone.'

You can view the interview at http://www.nranews.com/#/nranews

Senate Bill 231 has been assigned to the Senate Government affairs committee which is chaired by non other than, wait for it... wait ... for ... it, Senator Lee.

This bill is expected to be heard in the Senate Government Affairs Committee on Friday, March 18 at 8:00 a.m. in Room 2135 of the Legislative Building in Carson City, with a teleconference link to the Grant Sawyer Government Building in Las Vegas (details will follow).
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 03-10-2011 at 06:43 PM.

So I was looking through the poll comments and we now have a descenting remark in opposition to SB 231, it reads; "I work at the University of Nevada Reno at the Student Health Center. I feel you will make our site less safe with students with concealed firearms. We have student with mental illness and are unstable. Can you guarantee they won't get a gun!"

Thank you for making my argument for me. You have mentally unstable people on campus whom no one can guarantee with absolute certainty will not find a way to get a gun. I think I want my firearm on campus with me now, more than I ever did.
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 03-14-2011 at 08:52 PM.

SB-231 will be heard Friday, March 18, 2011 at 8:00 a.m.

Please voice your support!

Email info - cut/paste into your email message:

jlee@sen.state.nv.us; mmanendo@sen.state.nv.us; mschneider@sen.state.nv.us; jsettelmeyer@sen.state.nv.us; jhardy@sen.state.nv.us

-------------------------------------------
    Complete contact info:

Lee, John
    E-mail Address(es):
    jlee@sen.state.nv.us
    Leg Bldg Rm 2132
    Office: 775-684-1424
    Notes:
    Senator (D), Clark County, No 1.
    Chair, Gov't Affairs Cmte
    phone LCB 775-684-1424
    LCB room number 2156

Manendo, Mark
    E-mail Address(es):
    mmanendo@sen.state.nv.us
    Leg Bldg Rm 2127
    Office: 775-684-6503
    Notes:
    D, Clark No 7
    Chair, Natural Resources Cmte
    Vice Chair, Gov't Affairs Cmte

Schneider, Michael
    E-mail Address(es):
    mschneider@sen.state.nv.us
    Leg Bldg Rm 2125
    Office: 775-684-6502
    Notes:
    D, Clark no 11

Settelmeyer, James
    E-mail Address(es):
    jsettelmeyer@sen.state.nv.us
    Leg Bldg Rm 2101
    Office: 775-684-1470
    Notes:
    Capital Senatorial District

Hardy, Joseph P
    E-mail Address(es):
    jhardy@sen.state.nv.us
    Department: Leg Bldg Rm 2100
    Office: 775-684-1462

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning there are only 32 'votes' on SB-231 -- 30 For and 2 Against.

Please go to www.leg.state.nv.us/AppCF/Opinion/76th2011/poll/ and cast your 'vote' and type an optional opinion!

SB-231 needs your support!
    Last edited by varminter22; 03-18-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Add Sen Hardy contact info

Quote Originally Posted by varminter22 View Post
    SB-231 will be heard Friday, March 18, 2011 at 8:00 a.m.
    For those who can not attend the hearing in Carson City, Videoconferencing of this hearing will be available at:

Grant Sawyer Building, Room 5100
    555 East Washington Avenue
    Las Vegas, NV 89101