• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone in Northern Wisconsin Want FREE Advanced Training?

CalicoJack10

OK, Here is the deal. I have been talking to a friend of mine that does all that fancy computer stuff. And one of his big things is video editing. And he decided that it would be in my best interest to do a Internet video/commercial that I could post up on the web site and a few other places. So here is what I am offering.

Anyone who is interested in taking a course from Calico Jack Defense, I will offer free tuition for any course you want as long as you are willing to allow me to film parts of it and have it edited into a video that I can use for these purposes. I would prefer local shooters, as it is a lot less expensive to get it done this way, but I am willing to accept anyone.

Courses can be found at:
http://cjdefense.com/Courses_OGEF.html

Unfortunately I am not a rich man, and I can't afford to pay people for this, but I can offer free instruction. The free instruction will come in the form of a certificate for a free course, so you don't have to take the course when the filming is being done. I will be needing a couple/few people that can be filmed in the snow (Yuck!), just because this is Wisconsin and the snow is a big part of our seasons.

If you are interested you can e-mail me from my site http://cjdefense.com/Contact_Us.html or PM me on here and I will get with you and work out the details.

Thanks for all of your help.:dude:

Last edited:

civilwarguy

To bad its northern WI if it was Southern i would help you out with any videos you may need someone for. I hope you find people this is a great deal for anyone who is close.

Pyro01

How Northern are we talking? I live in Menomonie, WI, where do you usually do your training? I'm all for being videotaped for some free lessons.

Mlutz

Free training... I think that might even beat free beer... Anyone care to weigh in on that?

Back on topic, sounds like a good time. Again, how northern? I once drove over 4 hours into duluth for a car audio show. I'm thinking going that far for training would be a better deal.

CalicoJack10

Well, deluth is still an hour and a half north of me. And anyone who would need a hotel room, let me know so that I can give you the heads up on the place I am pushing as open carry/firearms friendly. The manager has been awesome with helping me get this all working, and her family is a gun family, so we are in good hands.

As far as the free beer thing, I am more of a sippin whiskey kinda guy. Just one Jack on the rocks sets me up for the entire night, so I would definately have to say that free training is far better than free beer.

anmut

OK, Here is the deal. I have been talking to a friend of mine that does all that fancy computer stuff. And one of his big things is video editing. And he decided that it would be in my best interest to do a Internet video/commercial that I could post up on the web site and a few other places. So here is what I am offering.

Anyone who is interested in taking a course from Calico Jack Defense, I will offer free tuition for any course you want as long as you are willing to allow me to film parts of it and have it edited into a video that I can use for these purposes. I would prefer local shooters, as it is a lot less expensive to get it done this way, but I am willing to accept anyone.

Courses can be found at:
http://cjdefense.com/Courses_OGEF.html

Unfortunately I am not a rich man, and I can't afford to pay people for this, but I can offer free instruction. The free instruction will come in the form of a certificate for a free course, so you don't have to take the course when the filming is being done. I will be needing a couple/few people that can be filmed in the snow (Yuck!), just because this is Wisconsin and the snow is a big part of our seasons.

If you are interested you can e-mail me from my site http://cjdefense.com/Contact_Us.html or PM me on here and I will get with you and work out the details.

Thanks for all of your help.:dude:

I may be interested if you promise to not force me to sport a mohawk. :)

CalicoJack10

I may be interested if you promise to not force me to sport a mohawk. :)

Not only do you have to have a mohawk, but my hairdresser girlfriend is going to dye them funny colors. You know you want pink.

:dude: I already got Aqua. lol

But seriously, if you wanna help thats cool. Just let me know and we can set up a time and place.

HolyOrangeJuice

marshfield, wi

When would these training sessions start and how often? I'm 19 and live near marshfield, wi.

CalicoJack10

At the moment I have to renew everything through MN before I can get the permit instructor stuff through them. I am NRA Certified, and I at present only say that Florida will recognize. I am also working on Utah, Virginia, and Texas, but please keep in mind that I am a business that is only 90 days old, and getting certified with these states is a long and arduous process. I also have the backing of some significant people so that if we end up with a permit system here in Wisconsin, I can be one of the first to be able to certify.

As far as the training goes:

Anyone needing a hotel should call the AmericInn and book there. I have been working with them lately and will be doing training for the staff on Wisconsin Firearms Laws this coming Thursday. They are the most Gun Friendly as they are willing to let Wisconsin Law dictate their policy in the matter of Open Carry.

However,

If you are booking for one of the events up here, you should let them know that you are going to be there with Calico Jack Defense so that they are totally prepared for the eventuality of you carrying openly.

I have been working very hard with the management to get this set up so that there is a place that we can get people together without negative law enforcement involvement. Also, since they do have a liquor license (They don't serve alcohol though) I have also prepared a letter of permission that is to be handed out to those who are staying with them, just to provide an extra cushion from any bad experiences. Their contact information is:

AmericInn Minocqua
700 Highway 51 N
Minocqua, WI 54548
(715) 356-3730

If you have any questions or concerns about anything as far as what is going on with the hotel, just let me know and I will answer anything that comes up.

jpm84092

Hi Calico Jack,

I have been contemplating a trip back to WI (southern WI), but if the timing worked out I might take a trip to your neck of the Northern Woods. Some of my WI Carry friends have been pestering me to travel "up nort" to do the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit course.

And, if your intention is to become a Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor, I can save you the motel and taxi expenses when you travel to SLC for the course.

Jim

CalicoJack10

I may have to take you up on that. Though I was thinking about doing that on a trip to vegas, cause I wanna go do vegas one more time before the world ends. lol

jpm84092

I never pass up a good excuse to make the 5 hour drive from SLC to Lost Wages, so maybe something can be worked out. Besides, if the Bill in the Nevada Legislature to do away with qualifying on each semi-automatic pistol you carry in Nevada fails, I need to do qualification for at least 4 additional handguns to add to my Nevada Permission Slip. (The Sheriffs Association is against it - they want to keep the existing system of qualifying with each semi-auto you carry in Nevada).

If a Nevada CFP is in your sights, I know of a husband and wife team that do "concierge style" training and will come to your hotel room on the strip and conduct the course there.

By the way, a Bill that passed the Utah legislature and is awaiting the Governor's signature now requires an applicant for a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor to already hold a Utah CFP. It is likely that this will go into effect in May. Do you already have a Utah CFP?

CalicoJack10

I never pass up a good excuse to make the 5 hour drive from SLC to Lost Wages, so maybe something can be worked out. Besides, if the Bill in the Nevada Legislature to do away with qualifying on each semi-automatic pistol you carry in Nevada fails, I need to do qualification for at least 4 additional handguns to add to my Nevada Permission Slip. (The Sheriffs Association is against it - they want to keep the existing system of qualifying with each semi-auto you carry in Nevada).

If a Nevada CFP is in your sights, I know of a husband and wife team that do "concierge style" training and will come to your hotel room on the strip and conduct the course there.

By the way, a Bill that passed the Utah legislature and is awaiting the Governor's signature now requires an applicant for a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor to already hold a Utah CFP. It is likely that this will go into effect in May. Do you already have a Utah CFP?

I don't have the CFP for Utah, but I was thinking about just staying out there a few days and seeing if I could make it all happen in one trip. And I didnt know that about NV, but now that I do I will have to bring a few with me so that I can make sure that whatever I decide to take when I end up out there will still be on my "Permit" (Man thats a dirty word). I just want the optional wisconsin license and that federal reciprocity, that would save me a lot of time and money.

:dude:

jpm84092

CFP Information for UT, FL, and NV

I am posting on this forum instead of sending you a PM as the information below may be of interest to other members of Wisconsin Carry.

I believe the reason that Utah changed their law to require applicants for a Concealed Firearm Permit instructor rating to already have a Utah CFP was to do away with one extra background check and thus really speed up the application for Instructor permits. Utah checks the National and each State's data base every night at 2am so background check information is no older than 24 hours. By requiring a Utah Permit before applying for an instructor permit, Utah can issue the instructor permit the next business day.

The training schedule link for Utah CFP Instructors is posted below. Courses are filled through May.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFcourseschedule.html

The required course materials for a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit is posted below:

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/MTC01032011.pdf

While students are encouraged to read the course materials before the course, the course must be presented in-person by a Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor, who, at a minimum, also holds a current NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, or, is a current law enforcement officer with current POST Firearm Instructor Certification.

Utah has a new law that goes into effect on May 10, 2011. Non-resident applicants for the Utah CFP MUST have a permit from their home state if that state is a "shall issue" state. Utah will continue to issue non-resident permits to "may issue" states and the two "right denied" states. There is a new $5 surcharge for non-resident applications taking the fee from $62.50 to $67.50 for non-resident applicants.

Nevada requires an in-person course that is conducted in the County in which you apply by a Nevada Certified Concealed Firearms Instructor who is also an NRA Instructor with Pistol Discipline. The instructor must be a legal resident of the county, or operate a business in the County that issues the permit. Nevada issues non-resident permits. Most non-residents apply in Clark County because they can enjoy the Las Vegas Strip.

Your NRA Instructor rating (or the NRA Basic Pistol Course) qualifies for the Florida Firearms Proficiency Test. Florida also accepts proof of Nevada qualification. It is not as clear to me if Florida accepts NRA First Steps - Pistol, but I believe it does.

Pennsylvania permits are easy to get and cost $26 from Clarke County (all other counties are not very cooperative issuing permits).

The Florida Permission Slip and the Nevada Permission Slip are a bit pricey (just over $100) and must be paid by cashier's check. The fingerprint card for the Florida permit must be their card and the fingerprinting must be done by a Law Enforcement Agency. Nevada fingerprints and photo must be done by the County issuing the permit. For Lost Wages, that is Las Vegas Metro Police. Florida, Michigan, New Hampshire, Maine, South Carolina, and Colorado do not honor non-resident permits. MI and CO do not issue non-resident permits. Florida does. SC does if you own land there and pay taxes on it. ME issues a non-resident permit, but it is a hassle.