• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Open Carry Experience

jrd929

I recently started to open carry, and my first stop was Hannafords in Rochester and it was generally positive. I also went to the Rite Aid in town and was complimented for carrying open. I carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk (6.5 inch barrel), and it sure gets attention. I know it is a rather large gun, but I got it for $200 and until I can afford something more meant for carrying, I will be using the Super Blackhawk. I also paid a visit to Walmart in Rochester and had no issues with anyone being "uncomfy". Jon

Jay

Hello and welcome to the forum.. Congrats on you first OC you will find that OC at least for me is widely accepted in the State of New Hampshire. I OC everywhere that I go and except for a small issue (Lack of knowledge of the law on the bank managers part) I have never had any problems. :)

Gary599

I open carry to Walmart, walgreens and a few other places. No issues no far, let's see when the warmer weather shows up.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference I'm using a iwb holster so alot of the gun is hidden, but if u look u can clearly see the grip etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doobie

Congrats. You likely won't find any problem unless you:

A) go into to a business owned by a liberal [which is good to know so you provide business to someone else]
B) Go wandering around a city for an hour or so in a "busy" area.

doobie

I don't know to many liberal owned businesses, but I guess I'll find out eventually.

I had one owner/employee ask me: "Is that a real gun?" Didn't say anything further after I asked what would be the point of carrying a fake gun?

One "ex-marine" guy in Hannafords once asked me if carrying it openly made me feel weird. I looked at my crotch and said, "My zipper is up." He went on to say he was an ex-marine and wouldn't even feel comfortable concealed carrying it.

jrd929

I had one owner/employee ask me: "Is that a real gun?" Didn't say anything further after I asked what would be the point of carrying a fake gun?

One "ex-marine" guy in Hannafords once asked me if carrying it openly made me feel weird. I looked at my crotch and said, "My zipper is up." He went on to say he was an ex-marine and wouldn't even feel comfortable concealed carrying it.

LOL, I went to McDonalds today in Seabrook. Seeing that it is right on the boarder, I was expecting someone from Mass to freak when they saw me carrying, but it went alright. One of the employees might have had a problem with it, I thought I over heard a conversation where one of them said "Is that a gun?" (to another employee) then I heard, "in today's day and age, I don't think anyone needs to do that."

Gunslinger

Well, open carrying a cannon will bring out comments, if anything will. Glad it went OK. You need to look at more practical weapons for OC or CC. Ruger makes great guns at reasonable prices--all as well made as your SBH. Look at Rileys in Hooksett. They have a great selection and are a class place to buy a gun. I bought two from them while living in NH.

MKEgal

doobie said:
Didn't say anything further after I asked what would be the point of carrying a fake gun?
In WI we have a law forbidding the carrying of fake/toy firearms that could reasonably be mistaken for real firearms.
So in addition to being silly to carry a toy or nonfunctioning pistol, it's a crime.

doobie

In WI we have a law forbidding the carrying of fake/toy firearms that could reasonably be mistaken for real firearms.
So in addition to being silly to carry a toy or nonfunctioning pistol, it's a crime.

Good thing this is New Hampshire and we don't have a silly law like that ;)