• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

million dollar question

oliverclotheshoff

does anyone remember a while back a firearm manufacturer was trying to make and sell a pistol that the user was required to wear a ring as a way to stop unauthorized use

who was it and what pistol was it

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
COLT ...THE SMART PISTOL :)

Smart Gun
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Smart gun)
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about guns using biometrics to identify a legitimate user. For self-aiming weapon systems, see Smartgun and Sentry gun.

The Smart Gun or "Personalized Gun" is a concept gun that aims to reduce the misuse of guns by children/felons through the use of embedded "smart" chips.
Contents

* 1 In Science Fiction
* 2 On the Market since 1996
* 3 Criticism
* 4 Prototypes
o 4.1 Colt
o 4.2 Mossberg
o 4.3 New Jersey Institute of Technology
* 5 External links
* 6 References

[edit] In Science Fiction

The 1973 movie Westworld contains guns that can be fired against humanoid robots, but use computer sensors to keep from firing against actual humans. "The guns issued to the guests also have temperature sensors that prevent them from shooting each other or anything else living but allow them to 'kill' the room-temperature androids."[1] When the robots rebel, they override the restrictions, and begin shooting human beings with the guns.
[edit] On the Market since 1996

A Magloc smart gun conversion kit for 1911A1 single-stack magazine automatics is available from Smart Lock Technology Inc. Its patented concept is that the user wear a matching magnetic ring that uses a same-pole magnet to repel the magnetic blocking device installed inside the handle of the firearm hence moving the safety mechanism aside. No battery is required. Once the system is activated using the matching magnetic ring, the owner can switch the over-ride switch to the on position and allow anyone to fire the pistol.
[edit] Criticism

Smart guns have been criticized by gun-rights groups like the NRA[2] as well as by gun-control groups like the Violence Policy Center. Gun-rights groups generally feel that smart gun technology is an attempt to control citizen ownership of guns. The Violence Policy Center feels smart guns will make gun ownership more commonplace by making guns seem safer. [3]

Some smart gun technology uses a Verichip which is permanently embedded under the user's skin in order to activate the gun (and to prevent unauthorized users from stealing or duplicating a non-implanted ring or bracelet activator), [4]. Verichip is a technology that has been strongly criticized by privacy advocates, and by some Christians wary of a technological implementation of a "Mark of the Beast" or "the Number of the Beast." [5]

Many gun enthusiasts object to smart guns on a philosophical/regulatory basis as well as a technological basis. Gun expert Boston T. Party writing about smart guns on page 35/24 of Boston's Gun Bible says "No defensive firearm should ever rely upon any technology more advanced than Newtonian physics. That includes batteries, radio links, encryption, scanning devices and microcomputers. Even if a particular system could be 99.9% reliable, that means it is expected to fail once every 1000 operations. That is not reliable enough. My life deserves more certainty."

At least one major seller of smart gun technology admits potential fallibility of the technology. IGun Technology Corporation say on their website that "No mechanical or electrical device is capable of 100% reliability....Personalized guns offer advantages to some people and disadvantages to others."[6]
[edit] Prototypes
[edit] Colt

Initial prototypes produced by Colt's Manufacturing Company involved the intended user wearing a bracelet that emitted a radio signal that would activate a mechanism inside the pistol to allow the gun to be fired. The project was apparently scrapped over concerns of the batteries in the bracelet and the pistol failing.
[edit] Mossberg

In 1999, Mossberg Shotguns, through its subsidiary Advanced Ordnance and an electronics design contractor KinTech Manufacturing developed a “Smart” shotgun using RFID technology. This product is currently being marketed by IGun Technology Corp. The advantage with this design was that the ring worn by the owner and used to identify the owner has a passive tag (meaning no batteries) that relies on proximity to the gun for power. The battery pack in the gun is designed to last up to 10 years when not used or up to 8 hours of continual usage (meaning always ready to be fired). The gun has low-battery indication.
[edit] New Jersey Institute of Technology

A current prototype personalized gun relies on biometric sensors in the grip and trigger that can track a gun owner’s hand size, strength, and Dynamic grip style also known as (DGR) Dynamic Grip Recognition. The gun is programmed to recognize only the owner or anyone whom the owner wishes to authorize. One of the major projects involves the New Jersey Institute of Technology team, which claims the prototype identifies gun owners with 90% accuracy.

The smart gun is supposed to:

* Reduce the likelihood of unintentional injuries to children
* Preventing teenage suicides and homicides.
* Limit the violent acts committed by criminals using stolen guns.
* Protect law enforcement officers from criminals grabbing their firearms during a struggle.

If chip failure occurs one of two things can happen:

* For Civilian use, the gun will be set to not fire.
* For Law enforcement use, the safety system will be bypassed, and the gun will be allowed to fire.

civilwarguy

does anyone remember a while back a firearm manufacturer was trying to make and sell a pistol that the user was required to wear a ring as a way to stop unauthorized use

who was it and what pistol was it

I believe what your talking about was actually an after market thing. I may be wrong but i think this is what your talking about

http://www.smartlock.com/test.htm

CalicoJack10

Ha Ha Ha!,

The aftermarket was out there, but the ones that were trying to manufacture the pistols where you had to have the ring on to fire it was Smith & Wesson. I will keep looking for the video I saw and post it when I find it.

Now it is a Million dollar and 2 cent question.:dude:

LR Yote 312

I was up at the DU gathering at the EAA in Oshkosh that year.

Funny part was every manufacture that showed up was packed....
Except for Smith and Wesson.

Nobody was giving them the time of day.
Not even the other manufacture reps.

People wouldnt even walk in front of or past the S&W booth,
and it was funny watching people make a 50 ft detour around the
front of the booth,just so they couldnt make eye contact with
the S&W Reps.

It was a thing of Beauty.

S&W has since seen the error of its ways,but I still wont own one.
Just like I wont own a Cooper rifle for contributing to Obama's
campaign funds.

LR Yote

Last edited: