• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Most firearm friendly police departments

Aaron1124

I'd like to start a list and discussion of the most firearm friendly PD's, and include either positive encounters from law enforcement, or positive comments from the LE agencies, or their Chief.

I encountered a Federal Way police officer at the Federal Way Winco. I believe he had just apprehended a shoplifter, and he noticed me leaving the store, smiled, and nodded at me.

I also encountered a Kent police officer at Midway Pet Store in the Kent/Des Moines area. He was a very cool guy.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Our State Troopers have been above the board and commendable in my opinion all the way. Some are familiar with my stories involving them here.

My Local Sheriff's department. Bill Elfo and his crew have been pretty decent with guns and it is even rumored that Elfo told the BATF to take a hike one time when they were hassling a new store. I do have some other issues with a few of his lesser deputies, well one isn't a deputy any more she now get's to bug Calvin in Blaine as an officer.

Hammer

Here's 2 for ya:
I was OCing on my M/C, pistol on right hip. Anacortes cop to my right at a stop sign as I passed the intersection. I could tell he saw the pistol, but he didn't light me up.
On my way back out of town, different intersection, same relative positions, same cop. He pulled out and rode in the right lane, me in the left, and as we parted gave me the thumbs up.
Pretty good in my book.

A scumbag burglar was skulking in the neighborhood. Seen in the back yard and garden shed area of my neighbors' place, they called the cops, then me. I turned the lights out in the house, then watched out the windows. No scumbag, but pretty soon the cops show up lights a-blazin'. They look around the neighbors' but when the neighbors say the burglar might have come up my drive and into my yard, they come to my place. By now I'm watching from the front porch, with my bathrobe on, pistol in strong hand, kinda behind my leg. Cop strolls up the drive and asks to look in the back yard. I tell him I have a pistol in hand, and will light the laser so he can see where the muzzle is pointed. Light up the porch by my foot. Then I tell him if the BG was in the back yard, we'd know it as my rotty would be having a feast right now. There's no way out of my back yard on foot, perimeter too high, and you could get in, but I don't know anyone fast enough to get out when the dog's on patrol. cop wants to survey the back yard, but wants me to get the dog first. So I agree, but will carry the pistol ready at my side, laser on, and go on point so he can see what I'm doing. Get the dog, we light up the yard, check the garden shed, and he's on his way.
The only thing he had to say about the gun as we part- "Some officers would not be comfortable with you carrying that in your hand while they checked the area."
I say thanks for your confidence and for looking around, then good night. So my home town LEOs get the nod for good guys.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I have had a few encounters with law enforcement while carrying and only one was questionable and that was with a Game Warden that thought I was playing a dangerous game and I responded, I do not play games and take this right very seriously, end of story.

One time I was pulled over in the little speed trap in Orting, WA and when I advised him I was armed, attitude changed to appreciative and just gave a warning and on my way.
I have yet to have a true negative encounter with law enforcement.

Yakima is pretty good about open carry but when it comes to the MWAG calls as when a young man sitting in his truck at the Social Security Office and was seen chambering a round and a heavy response ensued. I did a FOIA on this and seen this person was stupid for messing with his weapon in public and likely brought this on his self.

Deleted_User

I have had a few encounters with law enforcement while carrying and only one was questionable and that was with a Game Warden that thought I was playing a dangerous game and I responded, I do not play games and take this right very seriously, end of story.

One time I was pulled over in the little speed trap in Orting, WA and when I advised him I was armed, attitude changed to appreciative and just gave a warning and on my way.
I have yet to have a true negative encounter with law enforcement.

Yakima is pretty good about open carry but when it comes to the MWAG calls as when a young man sitting in his truck at the Social Security Office and was seen chambering a round and a heavy response ensued. I did a FOIA on this and seen this person was stupid for messing with his weapon in public and likely brought this on his self.

One simple comment. If, big "if" he was an open carry person without a CPL, he couldn't carry loaded in the car. How else would he load it without doing so? yet another reason to have a CPL. Not to sidetrack the thread, being as it's asking for "friendly" police departments.

Can we add PCSD to this list?

1245A Defender

well,,,

One simple comment. If, big "if" he was an open carry person without a CPL, he couldn't carry loaded in the car. How else would he load it without doing so? yet another reason to have a CPL. Not to sidetrack the thread, being as it's asking for "friendly" police departments.

Can we add PCSD to this list?

He could have LOADED his gun the Legal way!!! out side of the car!!!
this would be the best reason for non CPL holders to carry, empty pipe!!
just pop in a mag after you get out,,, then pop out the mag before you get back in!

their have been stories of guys getting a MWAG called on him,
because they hold the gun up in FULL view when they load and rack!!!
i feel that these FULL view guys damn well deserve the unwanted attention they get!

it is quite possible to get out of a car, and while standing behind the door,
turned strong side in. to load and rack, without anyone noticing, anything spooky!

1911er

I have had several good encounters with lakewood Police officers. I thank them for their comunity service they look at my gun and then say thanks. and I have caught several kitsap county and Port orchard officers in the local coffee shops they all noticed wy weapon but nothing said, in my book thats a good encounter.

Trigger Dr

I have had several good encounters with lakewood Police officers. I thank them for their comunity service they look at my gun and then say thanks. and I have caught several kitsap county and Port orchard officers in the local coffee shops they all noticed wy weapon but nothing said, in my book thats a good encounter.

I sponsored the 1st OC picnic in Kitsap on July 13, 2008. This was going to be a bad hair day according to Kitsap's younger deputies. Thanks to some behind the scnes work from Gray Peterson and a few others, this turned out to be a non event. Even had deputies join in for burgers and chat.
A follow up FOIA resulted in a confirmation, from the Co. Attorney, solidfying the legality. Port Orchard followed suit. I can provide copies of that FOIA request if NEEDED.

kitsapOCpicnic001.jpg

Ajetpilot and Deputy Bob Millard (College classmate of mine)

Last edited:

Ajetpilot

It was a beautiful day

for OC in Kitsap County. KCSO deputies learned about Article 1 section 24 as a result. Still, the County Commissioners didn't get around to removing the prohibition against carrying firearms in parks until after the NEXT picnic. Slow learners.

Metalhead47

+1 for WSP.

My one & only encounter with a LEO... with my wife while she was getting an award:D, she told the trooper we were both armed, hers was in her purse and she had to go digging thru it for her licence. From his reaction, she might have said we were carrying pens or keychains. :banana:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Before receiving the "document", I would attempt to be discreet as I recovered my weapon from the back of whatever vehicle I was in. Weapon down, in the triunk or in the van, insert magazine, insert weapon to holster. I think some individuals may make a display of it because they want people seeing them do it. Low profile, smile on your face and a song in your heart. No need to upset the population.

HK_dave

in the last apartments i lived in, we had a car broken into just as i was walking out to my car. this scared them and they ran the wrong way down a dead-end road. this is on a hillside with no way out.

called 911 for the car prowl and the operator blew me off. after i told her the perps were stuck on a dead end street and i had my pistol on me and they weren't getting by me, 3 Kent police cars rolled up about 30 seconds later.

after i gave one cop all the details, he asked if there was anything else. told him i had my pistol on me and all he said was "i don't care" and drove up the street.

really funny to see the perps get chewed on by the K9...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Slightly OT since it's about an individual, not a department in WA state...

I saw the band Deicide play at Jaxx in Springfield, Virginia.

After the show I retrieved my handgun from my trunk (in its paddle holster) and put the paddle on my belt. I went to McDonalds around the corner.

While in line a young gentleman behind me remarked "Open carry! Good for you. I wish I would see more citizens doing that!"

We chatted for a minute, and it turned out he had also been at the show, and was a LEO in Alexandria, VA.

He remarked that "people like you make my job just that much easier. Thanks"

That was the coolest LEO I've ever met.

I would go out of my way to retain him for employment after I'd fired the majority of the rest.

Last edited:

amlevin

While in line a young gentleman behind me remarked "Open carry! Good for you. I wish I would see more citizens doing that!"

We chatted for a minute, and it turned out he had also been at the show, and was a LEO in Alexandria, VA.

He remarked that "people like you make my job just that much easier. Thanks"

Maybe he was thinking "This way I don't have to frisk you to find out if your carrying"?
4.gif

acmariner99

The only encounter I had with LE was in Everett. I was at Starbucks working on my computer when I see two Everett officers walk in and ask me to come outside -- somebody made a MWAG call. I noticed there were two other police cars in the vicinity of where I was. Once they figured out I was a peaceful OCer (and whoever called was wasting their time) they said they understood it was my right to OC but just to be wary as people in Everett are not accustomed to responsible citizens peacefully OCing and suggested I get my CPL ASAP. They asked if I had any questions for them and if I would be carrying frequently. I only said "It is Everett and I do not have my CPL so yes." The officer understood perfectly. Turns out that particular question worked in my favor as a couple of days later I had a freakish encounter with a nutjob in Target -- (See Scary Target Encounter).

Ive also run into LE in Nevada and Arizona while carrying, nobody said anything. Just a passerby while at a gas station.

Last edited: