• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home brewing

Kingfish

Thought I would start a home brewing thread.

I have been brewing beer for about a year and enjoy it very much.

I have 12 batches under my belt so far. I normally make IPAs and some heavier beers. Of course I keep it all to the 6%ABV limit as specified by Georgia law.

I started out with an IPA kit from the local homebrew supply store using canned malt extract. I then moved to bulk extract and specialty grains and am now doing my own mash from grains I get from the local brew supply store.

My next batch will be a "Rustic Ale" using Heather tips instead of hops and some Juniper berries. I have a friend that is allergic to hops so this is mostly for him.

My wife wants to start making wine soon.

Daylen

For wine, I recommend keeping it simple. Fruit, yeast, sulfate, and maybe yeast nutrient. Sugar can make things difficult, requiring calculating yields, acidity and finding the right yeast. Juice might be easy to start with, does not make a bold wine.

Kingfish

I think she is going to start with juice. Just to get the process down.

She also wants to do a batch of Rye Pale Ale also. I don't care for Rye so I told her she was going to have to make it if she wanted it. She did make a batch of IPA last year.

Tawnos

Homebrewing is a ton of fun. I've made a bit of everything except lambics, and I can probably help you with any questions you might have. Anything I don't know, I have ready access to people or resources that can :)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Homebrewing is a ton of fun. I've made a bit of everything except lambics, and I can probably help you with any questions you might have. Anything I don't know, I have ready access to people or resources that can :)

Got any plans to brew a lambic?

It's not like spontaneous fermentation is difficult or anything! It's spontaneous.

:p

Last edited:

Dreamer

I've been brewing beer and mead for nearly 20 years.

I have brewed lambics--intentionally and accidentally. They are one of the toughest styles to do, especially the fruity kind. If you can do it, then you deserve kudos!

My favorite beers to brew are porters and wheat beers, particularly Flemish Farmhouse ales. I have a recipe for a clone of Saison DuPont that is a dead ringer for the commercial version--down to the head. I've made it several times, and it never stays around too long...

I've been doing exclusively all-grain for about 15 years, and usually brew in 5 gallon batches, but occasionally do a 10 gallon batch.

The oldest beer I have made is still in carboy--a Belgian Gueuze Lambic started about 10 years ago. It just gets better and better. I may bottle it this summer. It's about time we enjoyed it...

Kirbinator

Unpossible.

Guns and alcohol do not mix.

A man can have many hobbies; the founders of this nation were known to drain a pint or several in the taverns. The point moreover is to have some sense of mind about when, what and how you do what you do, and not to mix firearms and ammunition with drinking.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
A man can have many hobbies; the founders of this nation were known to drain a pint or several in the taverns. The point moreover is to have some sense of mind about when, what and how you do what you do, and not to mix firearms and ammunition with drinking.

:)

I was being sarcastic. I've been known to drink a beer while OC at my local watering hole (in Virginia). :uhoh:

Back when I could still drink beer, anyway. Now I just get headaches.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Here in NC, we can't do that. Under NC statute, if you have "any measurable amount" of alcohol in your system AT ALL, it is a violation--OC or CC...

And we can't carry in any establishment where alcohol is sold and consumed on premise...

My friends wonder why I never drink when we're out, and they wonder why it always takes me so long to park my car. I just tell them that I ENJOY being the "designated driver", and that being the "sober guy" is actually REALLY entertaining, because i get to see how silly they all look when they tie one one.

And besides, SOMEONE has to be able to remember what they all said the next day, to keep the stories straight... ;)

Kingfish

Here is the rough recipe for my next batch. I have not finalized it yet.

10 gallons (~104 bottles) of "Rustic Ale"

There are no hops in this brew. It is loosely based on an old Scottish brew.

[FONT=&quot]Recipe Specifications[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]--------------------------[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Batch Size: 10.50 gal [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Boil Size: 14.00 gal[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Estimated OG: 1.060 SG[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Estimated Color: 14.7 SRM[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Estimated IBU: N/A[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Boil Time: 60 Minutes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]------------[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Amount Item Type % or IBU [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 71.43 % [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 % [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 % [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 % [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 % [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2.50 oz Heather Tips (60 min) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2.50 oz Heather Tips (20 min) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1.50 oz Crushed dried Juniper berries (15 min) Spice
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Total Grain Weight: 28.00 lb[/FONT]

Will Mash at about 160° for 1 hour. Will ferment for about 7 days at ~70° in 2-7.5 gal fermenters.

Will bottle with ~8oz of turbinado (raw) sugar. I normally just use dextrose but I think the turbinado gives it a little character being a rustic style ale.

SavageOne

I have home brewed off and on for about 15 years. Originally I did 5 gal. LME batches. It's a great way if you really want to control every aspect. I later switched to the Mr. Beer system. I have had great success with it. My Pumpkin Ale is a damn fine beer. Unfortunate all my brewing supplies burned in a house fire(along with just about everything else I had) and I haven't replaced them yet. I have really been getting the itch to brew lately, so I don't think it will be long before I smell that malty goodness. :)

SavageOne

The founders often did more than drain a few. I used to have a copy of Col. Washingtons recipe for short beer. Many of the founders were brewers and distillers.

SavageOne

Here in NC, we can't do that. Under NC statute, if you have "any measurable amount" of alcohol in your system AT ALL, it is a violation--OC or CC...

And we can't carry in any establishment where alcohol is sold and consumed on premise...

My friends wonder why I never drink when we're out, and they wonder why it always takes me so long to park my car. I just tell them that I ENJOY being the "designated driver", and that being the "sober guy" is actually REALLY entertaining, because i get to see how silly they all look when they tie one one.

And besides, SOMEONE has to be able to remember what they all said the next day, to keep the stories straight... ;)

In MO it's not an issue. It's not illegal to be intoxicated and carrying unless you do so in a negligent manner.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000030.HTM