• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry bill introduced in Texas

pooley

dernit, you beat me here too!

Fast as fast can be, you'll never catch me! :D

I had a feeling it'd be today since Rep. Lavender started submitting bills yesterday afternoon, so that kept me alert & watching

pooley

how long will this bill take to move from stage one to stage two

That's not something someone can put a date to. It has to be referred to a house committee, then the committee sets a date for the hearing. Testimony will be taken, substitutions proposed & so on...

Alude904

In florida its been 3 months since the bill was submitted and i think there's at least another month to go. It all depends on your people in your state. Since florida is a tight ass state, our oc bill isnt doing so well.

randian

In florida its been 3 months since the bill was submitted and i think there's at least another month to go. It all depends on your people in your state. Since florida is a tight ass state, our oc bill isnt doing so well.
Tight ass doesn't describe it. Florida OC is all but dead at this point, and so is campus carry since it was stupidly placed in the same bill.

KD5WMX

So OC would still require a license making a CHL essentially a HL? Licensed open carry is better than no oc, however I am slightly disappointed.

pooley

So OC would still require a license making a CHL essentially a HL? Licensed open carry is better than no oc, however I am slightly disappointed.

We can't submit our own bills, else it would be constitutional carry. This is the best bill we could get submitted, so that's what we have to work with.

KD5WMX

We can't submit our own bills, else it would be constitutional carry. This is the best bill we could get submitted, so that's what we have to work with.

For the record I fully agree with you. Constitutional carry - as great as it would be - would be harder to pass, however some states have done it.

MR Redenck

HB2756 is the Lone Star CDL's bill. It aint the same as I drafted it to be, but it is pretty close. The league Councile edited the draft in a manner to get it through the house.
Yes, Constitutional Carry is what Texans deserve but we also have to get it passed.
This bill is a step in the right directing.

KBCraig

If you haven't already done so, it's worth your time to scan through all the bills that have been referred to the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee (HB 2756 has not yet been referred).

There are two or three good bills there. A couple more that are okay. And a bunch that are just frightening Orwellian nightmares.

pooley

If you haven't already done so, it's worth your time to scan through all the bills that have been referred to the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee (HB 2756 has not yet been referred).

There are two or three good bills there. A couple more that are okay. And a bunch that are just frightening Orwellian nightmares.

Yep, very good advice.

One thing that may make it easier...
I've spent the first part of this session going through every bill/resolution that's been introduced. I'm currently tracking around 50 bills/resolutions for LSCDL that are either directly gun-related or would help restore power to the states that's been wrongfully hijacked via the Interstate Commerce Act. The Special Legislation Page at LSCDL has all these bills listed along with updates on their current status.

rushcreek2

The Texas CHl authorizes the licensee to carry a handgun on or about their person. Penal Code section 46.035 (a) establishes a criminal penalty if the Texas CHL licensee intentionally fails to conceal. Meanwhile, every hunter, fisherperson, traveler, AND HOLDER OF A RECOGNIZED OUT OF STATE HANDGUN PERMIT is not subject to this SAME ridiculous criminal sanction.

According to the SCOTUS every person in Texas not otherwise prohibited from firearms possession has a fundamental substantive right (CIVIL RIGHT) to carry a handgun for personal protection in case of confrontation, SUBJECT ONLY TO REGULATION PERTAINING TO CONCEALMENT. The Texas law's ALLOWANCES for certain exceptions to its general handgun restriction [46.02(a)] which, as written, flagrantly violates the Second Amendment, amounts to a 9.9999 % recognition, if not RESPECT FOR the right to bear arms.

Texas' handgun law - a stale 139 YEAR OLD left-over from the Reconstruction Era - kind of reminds me of a recently caught Catfish still struggling a bit come cleaning time - which HAS ARRIVED.