• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 234 Update

Rich7553

Although the bill still hasn't been voted on due to time constraints, two amendments were introduced at the last minute without any warning and were approved without discussion.

The first, by Sen. Evers who sponsored the bill, adds language that prevents a licensee from being prosecuted for accidental exposure of a firearm. It also would legalize open carry by licensees, but conditionally upon the carrier having documented training in firearms retention, having a level-2 retention holster, and displaying their license in a clear plastic holder in proximity to their holster.

The second, by Sen. Dockery who co-sponsored the bill, eliminates the college campus initiative, but reintroduces the removal of private schools from the prohibition list.

Florida Carry, Inc. will release an official statement on the subject in due course.

77zach

Although the bill still hasn't been voted on due to time constraints, two amendments were introduced at the last minute without any warning and were approved without discussion.

The first, by Sen. Evers who sponsored the bill, adds language that prevents a licensee from being prosecuted for accidental exposure of a firearm. It also would legalize open carry by licensees, but conditionally upon the carrier having documented training in firearms retention, having a level-2 retention holster, and displaying their license in a clear plastic holder in proximity to their holster.

The second, by Sen. Dockery who co-sponsored the bill, eliminates the college campus initiative, but reintroduces the removal of private schools from the prohibition list.

Florida Carry, Inc. will release an official statement on the subject in due course.

Rich, I'm on Florida carry.org as Zach. Thanks for all your efforts.

I'm in Dean's district and I'm hot. If there is anything we can do, please let us know. These amendments are true poison pills to us. Campus carry can be fought another day. That prohibition's days are numbered.

How can we work to get the OC amendments withdrawn later?

Rich7553

Rich, I'm on Florida carry.org as Zach. Thanks for all your efforts.

I'm in Dean's district and I'm hot. If there is anything we can do, please let us know. These amendments are true poison pills to us. Campus carry can be fought another day. That prohibition's days are numbered.

How can we work to get the OC amendments withdrawn later?

Hi Zach, I put 2 and 2 together and figured 77zach and Zach were one in the same!

Speaking for myself, not Florida Carry as an organization, I don't think the requirements for retention training, a retention holster, and public display of the CWFL will hold up for a number of reasons. It wasn't until last year that DOACS stopped putting addresses on licenses but many still do, and it was this same committee that today passed SB 604. So if privacy of CWFL licensee information is so important as to be exempt from sunshine laws, how can it be required as to be publicly displayed? If I'm OC'ing at Wal-Mart, I don't really want the next schlub in line to read my name and home address.

Hang in there, we're not dead yet.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Hi Zach, I put 2 and 2 together and figured 77zach and Zach were one in the same!

Speaking for myself, not Florida Carry as an organization, I don't think the requirements for retention training, a retention holster, and public display of the CWFL will hold up for a number of reasons. It wasn't until last year that DOACS stopped putting addresses on licenses but many still do, and it was this same committee that today passed SB 604. So if privacy of CWFL licensee information is so important as to be exempt from sunshine laws, how can it be required as to be publicly displayed? If I'm OC'ing at Wal-Mart, I don't really want the next schlub in line to read my name and home address.

I wish I were as optimistic as you are.

Dean isn't above killing or kidnapping your kids to influence policy. I've seen it.

77zach

What "State Researcher" said makes sense to me:

"As I posted on a separate thread a few hours ago, the thing to do now is to keep pushing for SB 234 in its original version WITH Amendment 180224 (the good amendment that was offered earlier--this amendment is important ) and WITHOUT the package of bad amendments adopted yesterday.

It is critical that we not kill this bill at this point. Once the bill is officially out of committee, it will be beyond Senator Dean's individual control and can be amended both on the floor in the Senate as well as in committee and on the floor in the House. Killing the bill now only strengthens Senator Dean's hand because all other potential legislative vehicles for OC and campus carry would have to go through the exact same committee process as SB 234.

For these reasons, I reiterate that it is critical that everyone who supports OC in Florida needs to keep SB 234 moving and work through the legislative process to undo the bad amendments. There are many different stages in the process where it can be amended, both in committee and on the floor, in both the Senate and House, before it goes to the Governor."

That's right. Senator Dockery didn't kill campus carry because of testimony. She was apparently lying for Dean's philosophical shortcomings.

I say we ram this bill down the liberal/neocon/ "law enforcement" establishment's throat! I will drive to Tallahassee at $4/ gallon if it will make any difference!! Sign me up!

Last edited:

Rod0990

"As I posted on a separate thread a few hours ago, the thing to do now is to keep pushing for SB 234 in its original version WITH Amendment 180224 (the good amendment that was offered earlier--this amendment is important ) and WITHOUT the package of bad amendments adopted yesterday.

It is critical that we not kill this bill at this point. Once the bill is officially out of committee, it will be beyond Senator Dean's individual control and can be amended both on the floor in the Senate as well as in committee and on the floor in the House. Killing the bill now only strengthens Senator Dean's hand because all other potential legislative vehicles for OC and campus carry would have to go through the exact same committee process as SB 234.

For these reasons, I reiterate that it is critical that everyone who supports OC in Florida needs to keep SB 234 moving and work through the legislative process to undo the bad amendments. There are many different stages in the process where it can be amended, both in committee and on the floor, in both the Senate and House, before it goes to the Governor."

That's right. Senator Dockery didn't kill campus carry because of testimony. She was apparently lying for Dean's philosophical shortcomings.

I say we ram this bill down the liberal/neocon/ "law enforcement" establishment's throat! I will drive to Tallahassee at $4/ gallon if it will make any difference!! Sign me up!

Im with this guy. We cant panic and kill the bill, I think thats exactly what they expect when they made these changes. "Lets add these heated changes and theyll kill the bill for sure...problem solved." Dont feed into this mentality.

Rod

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I agree that my initial reaction was very emotional. But I know the people behind it, it's hard not to.

The evil behind these amendments has tried to kill me and my family several times. Succeeded on a few occasions. It's hard to maintain decorum when facing that again.

These bastards have hit home, not close to it. And they never get caught. I WON'T be going to Tallahassee because I know I would cause a problem under these circumstances.

Realize that you're dealing with murderers who abuse their position and power to get away with it. I'm not saying this to discourage you. But that after you speak and your name is known, you had better damn well watch your backs.

Rich7553

You are incorrect with regards to Dockery's amendment. I can't say anything more than that right now.