Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Show off your holster wear!!!

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Show off your holster wear!!!

    Since this is a site where most people carry...

    Who's got the most, and best holster wear?











    Blackhawk Serpa FTW!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muzleft.jpg 
Views:	1947 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	5397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muzright.jpg 
Views:	2207 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	5398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side.jpg 
Views:	2257 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	5399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slidetop.jpg 
Views:	1188 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	5400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triggerguard.jpg 
Views:	1526 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	5401  


  2. #2
    Regular Member XD40coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    woman stuck in Maryland, ,
    Posts
    709
    I thought this was going to be about those who have fancy holsters LOL.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Freedom First's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Posts
    850

    Stainless...

    Just doesn't show the beating it takes... Cool piece!
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

    Freedom First 1775

    "I aim to misbehave..." Malcolm Reynolds

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    I thought this was going to be about those who have fancy holsters LOL.
    LOL, nope! You got that one backwards!

    This is about utility.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    My Para only shows a little wear on the frame (black), mostly around the front of the trigger guard, from riding in my Serpa.

    My Glock has shown no wear at all from riding is a Serpa. Say what you will about "tupperware guns", but you gotta love that Tenifer finish. Too bad it's been made nearly illegal (for "environmental safety" reasons) to process here in the US...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  6. #6
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Too bad it's been made nearly illegal (for "environmental safety" reasons) to process here in the US...
    Roguard is a viable alternative and it makes a nice two tone look if you roguard the slide and have the frame NP3ed.

    To the OP, you can have your entire gun NP3ed and it will make that gun look like new.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Now, why would I want to ruin all that character?

    I've spent almost 3 years building up so much wear!

    Maybe if it become rust-prone, I'll think about it...



    Now, does anybody have any holster wear to share? C'mon, mine isn't the only gun with an average park job!
    Last edited by marshaul; 03-11-2011 at 01:28 AM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Now, why would I want to ruin all that character?

    I've spent almost 3 years building up so much wear!

    Although I like a shiney new-looking gun as uch as the next guy, I tend to agree with "Marshaul" on this one. Holster wear = character (for the firearm), and shows that you actually CARRY on a daily basis. I consider my holster worn firearm a "badge of honor"...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  9. #9
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    The majority of mine is on the top of the slide, though there is some on the edges and sides. XD45 in a Safariland kydex.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

    OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Since this is a site where most people carry...

    Who's got the most, and best holster wear?











    Blackhawk Serpa FTW!
    Good Lord, what are you holstering that thing into? Concrete? Lol.
    I get the whole "character" thing, to a point. Been seeing this odd craze in the Guitar community of late, where people want to "relic" their guitars. To make them look "vintage" ..Folks were taking relatively new guitars and deliberately abusing them to make them look all banged up, etc...The craze has gotten so out of hand that an otherwise $500 or so guitar can now be had from the manufacturers for ....



    $5,000 or more- coming from the factory "relic'd"

    http://proguitarshop.com/store/guita...ic-c-1_476_481

  11. #11
    Regular Member Chap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Greenville, MS
    Posts
    213

    As requested.........My DAILY Carry



    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster

    New additions to the family -
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11,
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

  12. #12
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    My SIG 1911s have SS slides, no wear. My 69C Hi-Power is NRA 99%, no wear. I like to keep them wiped down with a silicone impregnated cloth. It not only shines them up nicely, but does give surface protection. The other handguns don't get carried all that often, and/or are SS.

    Just bought a 75th Anniversary model Browning Hi-Power. Mine, I've had for 40 years and is worth a considerable amount with its 99% condition and original, perfect, leather gun soft case. The new one will be a lot more of a shooter, no sentimental attraction, just the respect due the finest personal defense pistol ever made. Still, I hate the thought of holster burn on a fine gun.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Since this is a site where most people carry...

    Who's got the most, and best holster wear?











    Blackhawk Serpa FTW!
    Damn. Time for a new gun. Take a look at the Remington R1--not much more than what you paid for the RIA, and 100% made in US.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Damn. Time for a new gun. Take a look at the Remington R1--not much more than what you paid for the RIA, and 100% made in US.
    lol. Why would I replace it because of some finish wear? If I cared (which I don't), I would simply have it refinished with something better.

    RIAs do have fairly thin parkerizing, but my self-built RIA is twice the 1911 an R1 is. I've tuned everything from the trigger to the spring rates to suit my preferences. It runs like a dream, unlike any factory 1911 for less than $1000.
    Last edited by marshaul; 03-15-2011 at 04:15 PM.

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post


    Ah, someone man enough to show off what they got!

    I have similar wear, although in more areas and a greater overall amount. But it's similar in that the finish wears off right at the contact points. I practice drawing from the Serpa at least a couple dozen times per day, and when I draw it there is a contact point all long the length of slide, resulting in those streaks down the slide.
    Last edited by marshaul; 03-15-2011 at 04:20 PM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    lol. Why would I replace it because of some finish wear? If I cared (which I don't), I would simply have it refinished with something better.

    RIAs do have fairly thin parkerizing, but my self-built RIA is twice the 1911 an R1 is. I've tuned everything from the trigger to the spring rates to suit my preferences. It runs like a dream, unlike any factory 1911 for less than $1000.
    I always thought the RIA was a better than mediocre pistol that lent itself into being made an excellent one. While I haven't handled an R1 yet, I see it exactly the same with a better starting platform--admittedly at a higher price than a RIA or Daley. That being said, I am a snob when it comes to my guns and my Corvette as to how they look. And my Rolex which just set me back enough to buy two good watches on its overhaul...:>

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I always thought the RIA was a better than mediocre pistol that lent itself into being made an excellent one. While I haven't handled an R1 yet, I see it exactly the same with a better starting platform--admittedly at a higher price than a RIA or Daley. That being said, I am a snob when it comes to my guns and my Corvette as to how they look. And my Rolex which just set me back enough to buy two good watches on its overhaul...:>
    Yes, in either case (RIA or R1) its true potential lies in what it can be made into.

    I eventually selected the RIA Tac after comparing it to the PT1911, the R1, and the Springfield GI (all were affordable to me), as it was the cheapest that came with an Ed Brown style beavertail already fit.

    I would agree that, stock for stock, the R1 is slightly better than the RIA GI. Mostly due to that fancy blued finish.
    Last edited by marshaul; 03-15-2011 at 05:22 PM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Outdoorsman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Silver Lake WI
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    I thought this was going to be about those who have fancy holsters LOL.
    X-2

    Outddoorsman

  19. #19
    Regular Member Huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Evanston, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    647
    The only holster wear on my S&W model 10 is on both sides of the muzzle, and only a little at that. That's because I use leather holsters, they dont scrape.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

  20. #20
    Regular Member Chap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Greenville, MS
    Posts
    213
    My pictures posted above Kimber Ultra Carry II has only been in a leather holster.

    Each morning I put it in holster drive to work. Remove it and lock in auto safe. After work I put back in holster, return home, take it out and place on table near me. ( 4 times slide contact a day minimum ) Usually more since that's bare minimum for daily activity.

    Leather is abrasive, I can turn my holster upside down and Kimber stays put.

    I moved my pants last night with my new Crossbreed IWB. I left holster attached to blue jeans with my XDm .45 ACP. I just grabbed my jeans like usual and the XDm fell out and hit the floor. Oops And a few more thoughts crossed my mind. I'd rather have a secure weapon with wear than loose and who knows what.

    Chap's iPhone
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster

    New additions to the family -
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11,
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

  21. #21
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    The only holster wear on my S&W model 10 is on both sides of the muzzle, and only a little at that. That's because I use leather holsters, they dont scrape.

    I beg to differ...

    Most of the wear on my Para has come from the few times I've carried it in one of the two LEATHER holsters I have for CC. One is an old (and VERY broken-in) Galgo IWB (the older version of what they call the Stow'n'Go these days), and a well-broken-in SideSnapScabbard.

    They will start to wear off parkerizing all over the frame in about half a dozen draws, or after about 8 hours of walking around...

    Where as my Serpa doesn't seem to wear any place on my Para except the trigger guard, and that takes about a week of carry to start showing...

    No, leather is VERY hard on a guns finish, especially if you are CC. Not so much for OC though...

    And your implying that polymer holsters wear more than leather is a myth. Most polymers that they make holster from these days are VERY "slippery" and have very little friction on their surfaces--WAY less than leather...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 03-16-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  22. #22
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    I beg to differ...

    Most of the wear on my Para has come from the few times I've carried it in one of the two LEATHER holsters I have for CC. One is an old (and VERY broken-in) Galgo IWB (the older version of what they call the Stow'n'Go these days), and a well-broken-in SideSnapScabbard.

    They will start to wear off parkerizing all over the frame in about half a dozen draws, or after about 8 hours of walking around...

    Where as my Serpa doesn't seem to wear any place on my Para except the trigger guard, and that takes about a week of carry to start showing...

    No, leather is VERY hard on a guns finish, especially if you are CC. Not so much for OC though...

    And your implying that polymer holsters wear more than leather is a myth. Most polymers that they make holster from these days are VERY "slippery" and have very little friction on their surfaces--WAY less than leather...
    That's why I prefer kydex Fobus or Blade-Tech for my pistols. Plus, they show off the gun better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •