Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HB2756 Texas Open Carry

HB2756 Texas Open Carry

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...2R&Bill=HB2756
    Help the Lone Star Citizens Defense League get our bill passed folks.
    This is the first shot yall have had at Open Carry in Texas since 1871. Lets get this pushed into Law!

Do we really need four threads about it?

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    Do we really need four threads about it?
    You're right, 5 would be better

Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    You're right, 5 would be better
    What is this, a center for ants? We need at least three times this many threads!

Quote Originally Posted by PracticalTactical View Post
    What is this, a center for ants? We need at least three times this many threads!
    Well done, sir!

Well, I for one am very excited about this.

I just wish they could make effective upon Governor's signature, than 9/1 so we can minimize carrying in the heat of the summer.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do *they* not understand?

Quote Originally Posted by billv View Post
    I just wish they could make effective upon Governor's signature, than 9/1 so we can minimize carrying in the heat of the summer.
    What that would require. Since this bill isn't about abortion, health care, Mexicans, or Muslims, I don't see it happening.

The thing that is so great about this bill is that it is so simple. Nothing is added to statutes to screw things up in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by PracticalTactical View Post
    Hansel. You just made me laugh out loud. Hansel.

So...? Has everyone called/written their Representatives? It doesn't take much to drop a brief letter in the mail or make a quick phone call. I personally wrote every rep on the committee. It cost me 9 stamps. Let's give this an honest try folks.

Quote Originally Posted by jecsd1 View Post
    So...? Has everyone called/written their Representatives? It doesn't take much to drop a brief letter in the mail or make a quick phone call. I personally wrote every rep on the committee. It cost me 9 stamps. Let's give this an honest try folks.
    Absolutely! Everyone, even if it isn't constitutional carry, needs to show their support for this furthering of our rights as gun owners!

Thumbs up

Constitutional carry will have to be achieved through education and political leverage at the state level. We were fortunate to get the federal dispensations of The Heller and McDonald holdings. Thank the NRA and the many amicus briefs in support of McDonald for that.

One more Obama appointment to the SCOTUS, and we can kiss any hope of gaining further support for the RTKBA from the SCOTUS ....goodbye. Reliance upon federal institutions to protect our constitutionally guaranteed freedoms equates to enlisting the services of the proverbial fox to guard the hen-house.

The Texas license to carry a handgun concealed or openly that would result from passage of HB2756 is a pretty good deal for Texans, given that Texans haven't had any recognized right to carry a handgun for 140 years. HB2756 is definite progress. A Texan needs to have a CHL anyway if they plan to make a road-trip through reciprocty states.

Perry

Has anybody Talked with or emailed Governor Perry’s office to make sure he knows the bill has been filed and he is in full support?

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyman007 View Post
    Has anybody Talked with or emailed Governor Perry’s office to make sure he knows the bill has been filed and he is in full support?
    Before the session started I recall someone saying he had promised to sign any OC bill that reaches his desk. Personally I don't care if he signs it or not, just so long as he doesn't veto the bill.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jecsd1 View Post
    So...? Has everyone called/written their Representatives?
    A congratulatory election-night email to Lavender, with a query whether he'd sponsor or support an OC bill, is what got 2756 rolling.

So I think I'm good on writing my rep.

HB 2756 is an act of the legislature "with a view to prevent crime" through the repeal of

section 46.035 (a). The Legislature defined certain behavior as a CRIME in 1966 by

enacting section 46.035(a) into law. The Legislature has the prerogative of redefining that

certain behavior as no longer constituting a crime by repealing section 46.035(a).

Enactment of HB 2756 into law will PREVENT AT LEAST ONE CRIME.

They filed it late - I just hope they can get to it before the end of this years session in late May. Barely 2 months and it has to go through both houses....

Pins and needles...
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do *they* not understand?

Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    HB 2756 is an act of the legislature "with a view to prevent crime" through the repeal of

section 46.035 (a). The Legislature defined certain behavior as a CRIME in 1966 by

enacting section 46.035(a) into law. The Legislature has the prerogative of redefining that

certain behavior as no longer constituting a crime by repealing section 46.035(a).

Exactly!.
    When the legislative power is to prevent crime, creating laws that incriminate people goes beyond that power.

46.035(a) Passed In 1995 not 1966

46.035(a) is unlawful carry by a CHL. Since there wasn't a CHL until 1995, I doubt it passed in 1966. Maybe you're thinking 46.02, 46.03.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDLS View Post
    46.035(a) is unlawful carry by a CHL. Since there wasn't a CHL until 1995, I doubt it passed in 1966. Maybe you're thinking 46.02, 46.03.
    I think it was a typo, and he intended 1996 -- the year the law took effect.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDLS View Post
    A big 10-4 on that TYPO. Sorry about the gross confusion that I created. Effective September 1996 failure to conceal a handgun BECAME A CRIMINAL OFFENSE IN TEXAS.

In 1966 - at least in Tom Greene County- carrying a handgun wasn't even considered a "crime".

Ofcourse West Texas has always tended to run a bit behind the "Progressive" movement.

Yea, we slow round here.

A big 10-4 on that TYPO. Sorry about the gross confusion that I created. Effective September 1996 failure to conceal a handgun BECAME A CRIMINAL OFFENSE IN TEXAS.
    Typo again -- or timeline error.

The CHL law took effect September 1, 1995 -- but it wasn't really effective until January 1, 1996, when DPS started issuing licenses.

All laws in Texas take effect in odd-numbered years, when the legislature meets. Either September 1 of that year, or immediately if that's written into the law (and I believe a supermajority is required for that).

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Typo again -- or timeline error.

The CHL law took effect September 1, 1995 -- but it wasn't really effective until January 1, 1996, when DPS started issuing licenses.

All laws in Texas take effect in odd-numbered years, when the legislature meets. Either September 1 of that year, or immediately if that's written into the law (and I believe a supermajority is required for that).
    That's correct, a 2/3 vote is required in both chambers for a bill to take immediate effect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast