• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB2756 Texas Open Carry

jecsd1

So...? Has everyone called/written their Representatives? It doesn't take much to drop a brief letter in the mail or make a quick phone call. I personally wrote every rep on the committee. It cost me 9 stamps. Let's give this an honest try folks.

pooley

So...? Has everyone called/written their Representatives? It doesn't take much to drop a brief letter in the mail or make a quick phone call. I personally wrote every rep on the committee. It cost me 9 stamps. Let's give this an honest try folks.

Absolutely! Everyone, even if it isn't constitutional carry, needs to show their support for this furthering of our rights as gun owners!

rushcreek2

Constitutional carry will have to be achieved through education and political leverage at the state level. We were fortunate to get the federal dispensations of The Heller and McDonald holdings. Thank the NRA and the many amicus briefs in support of McDonald for that.

One more Obama appointment to the SCOTUS, and we can kiss any hope of gaining further support for the RTKBA from the SCOTUS ....goodbye. Reliance upon federal institutions to protect our constitutionally guaranteed freedoms equates to enlisting the services of the proverbial fox to guard the hen-house.

The Texas license to carry a handgun concealed or openly that would result from passage of HB2756 is a pretty good deal for Texans, given that Texans haven't had any recognized right to carry a handgun for 140 years. HB2756 is definite progress. A Texan needs to have a CHL anyway if they plan to make a road-trip through reciprocty states.

pooley

Has anybody Talked with or emailed Governor Perry’s office to make sure he knows the bill has been filed and he is in full support?

Before the session started I recall someone saying he had promised to sign any OC bill that reaches his desk. Personally I don't care if he signs it or not, just so long as he doesn't veto the bill. :monkey

rushcreek2

HB 2756 is an act of the legislature "with a view to prevent crime" through the repeal of

section 46.035 (a). The Legislature defined certain behavior as a CRIME in 1966 by

enacting section 46.035(a) into law. The Legislature has the prerogative of redefining that

certain behavior as no longer constituting a crime by repealing section 46.035(a).

Enactment of HB 2756 into law will PREVENT AT LEAST ONE CRIME.

billv

They filed it late - I just hope they can get to it before the end of this years session in late May. Barely 2 months and it has to go through both houses....

Pins and needles...

MR Redenck

HB 2756 is an act of the legislature "with a view to prevent crime" through the repeal of

section 46.035 (a). The Legislature defined certain behavior as a CRIME in 1966 by

enacting section 46.035(a) into law. The Legislature has the prerogative of redefining that

certain behavior as no longer constituting a crime by repealing section 46.035(a).

Exactly!.
When the legislative power is to prevent crime, creating laws that incriminate people goes beyond that power.
;)

ScottDLS

46.035(a) Passed In 1995 not 1966

46.035(a) is unlawful carry by a CHL. Since there wasn't a CHL until 1995, I doubt it passed in 1966. Maybe you're thinking 46.02, 46.03.