• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB2756 Texas Open Carry

rushcreek2

46.035(a) is unlawful carry by a CHL. Since there wasn't a CHL until 1995, I doubt it passed in 1966. Maybe you're thinking 46.02, 46.03.

A big 10-4 on that TYPO. Sorry about the gross confusion that I created. Effective September 1996 failure to conceal a handgun BECAME A CRIMINAL OFFENSE IN TEXAS.

In 1966 - at least in Tom Greene County- carrying a handgun wasn't even considered a "crime".

Ofcourse West Texas has always tended to run a bit behind the "Progressive" movement.

KBCraig

A big 10-4 on that TYPO. Sorry about the gross confusion that I created. Effective September 1996 failure to conceal a handgun BECAME A CRIMINAL OFFENSE IN TEXAS.

Typo again -- or timeline error. ;)

The CHL law took effect September 1, 1995 -- but it wasn't really effective until January 1, 1996, when DPS started issuing licenses.

All laws in Texas take effect in odd-numbered years, when the legislature meets. Either September 1 of that year, or immediately if that's written into the law (and I believe a supermajority is required for that).

pooley

Typo again -- or timeline error. ;)

The CHL law took effect September 1, 1995 -- but it wasn't really effective until January 1, 1996, when DPS started issuing licenses.

All laws in Texas take effect in odd-numbered years, when the legislature meets. Either September 1 of that year, or immediately if that's written into the law (and I believe a supermajority is required for that).

That's correct, a 2/3 vote is required in both chambers for a bill to take immediate effect.

elindley01

Hello everyone! I am a new registered user, but not new to the forum topics. In 2008 I used this forum to keep up to date on Open Carry in Texas, and to gain direction on how to help. Admittedly I did not do everything I could have to help push Open Carry with my Representative. I am not making that mistake again! I am thrilled to hear this Bill is gaining some real traction finally. The problem I have is not being well versed enough in the overall process to write an impactful letter to my Representative or Senator with a request to help push this Bill through. In 2008, there was a form letter available on one of the websites that you filled in your relative information and sent it to your Rep and Senators. I did that and received responses that they would vote for it if it was presented before them, but they wouldn't sponsor the Bill. Now that the Bill has a sponsor, is there someone out there that could create a form letter for us all to send to the applicable people requesting support? I feel this would allow a greater number of people to participate in "rallying the troops". Thanks for any info you can provide!

jecsd1

Hello everyone! I am a new registered user, but not new to the forum topics. In 2008 I used this forum to keep up to date on Open Carry in Texas, and to gain direction on how to help. Admittedly I did not do everything I could have to help push Open Carry with my Representative. I am not making that mistake again! I am thrilled to hear this Bill is gaining some real traction finally. The problem I have is not being well versed enough in the overall process to write an impactful letter to my Representative or Senator with a request to help push this Bill through. In 2008, there was a form letter available on one of the websites that you filled in your relative information and sent it to your Rep and Senators. I did that and received responses that they would vote for it if it was presented before them, but they wouldn't sponsor the Bill. Now that the Bill has a sponsor, is there someone out there that could create a form letter for us all to send to the applicable people requesting support? I feel this would allow a greater number of people to participate in "rallying the troops". Thanks for any info you can provide!

Join the LSCDL. They're the ones that really got this off the ground. They have what you need.

Oh and, welcome to the forum!

rushcreek2

Right now the focus is on communicating support for HB 2756 to the members of the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee. That's the make or break point for HB 2756, and where the hearing on the bill will be held.

Contact Representative George Lavender's office if you are interested in appearing as a witness in support of the bill. It is expected that a bus-load of UTA "spongebobs" will be signed up to testify in opposition to HB2756. Apparently they get "extra-credit" for participating in the legislative process by supporting their professor's leftist ideology.

The intent of this bill is to modify the Texas CHL as a HANDGUN LICENSE, while repealing the Section 46.035(a) criminal penalty which defines as a "crime" the exercise of the constitutionally protected RIGHT TO BEAR a handgun -otherwise known as a civil rights violation.

The object of the predicate "TO BEAR" , by definition is subject to being BORNE, WORN, DISPLAYED, or CARRIED in a publicly revealed , or privately concealed manner without any distinction made in the manner arms are borne in either the 2nd Amendment, or Article 1, Section 23.

The power "to regulate, by law, the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime" cannot logically be construed to empower the Texas Legislature to NEGATE the very " right to keep AND BEAR arms " simultaneously referred to in the same sentence.

www.lonestarcdl.org

Last edited:

PracticalTactical

Contact Representative George Lavender's office if you are interested in appearing as a witness in support of the bill. It is expected that a bus-load of UTA "spongebobs" will be signed up to testify in opposition to HB2756. Apparently they get "extra-credit" for participating in the legislative process by supporting their professor's leftist ideology.

If I had money to catch a plane to Austin, I'd be all over it. Definitely going to write some letters to the committee.

Here in NM, we have no real problems with OC, and we allow OC without any permits. Some of the agencies I've worked with get the MWAG call and show up to see some guy walking his dog with a holstered gun. No big deal.

Same in AZ, very few problems, benefits far outweigh drawbacks.

I go to El Paso all the time, and would love to see you all get rid of those Jim Crow laws.
------------
Shameless Sig Plug: Practical Tactical Training - The Best CHL class value in Southern New Mexico. PM me for details or call 575-520-8888

B.D. WALKER

Who has the link and contact info for Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee for those that want to get in contact with them regarding the OC bill?

pooley

Who has the link and contact info for Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee for those that want to get in contact with them regarding the OC bill?

Visit the second link in my sig. You'll find lists of all committees, their respective members, links to live and archived video of committee hearings & a whole bunch more! :D

Last edited:

rushcreek2

It's been more than a few hours since I revisited the Second Amendment, and Article 1, Section 23 of the Texas Constitution, but I really do not recall any reservation in either LAW restricting the RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS to law enforcement , or the military.

The criminal element in society have RIGHTS TOO ! The low-lifer, scum-bag, weasels have THE RIGHT to know that law-abiding citizens have the capacity TO TERMINATE their predatory impulses just as law enforcement officers do. This is the INFORMATION AGE. Violent criminals have the RIGHT to be informed of the risks involved in pursuing their chosen occupation. Let's be fair to the criminals.

Last edited:

rodbender

I was listening to Cam & Co. on Sirius radio Monday night. Ted Nugent was on and he stated something that shocked me. As close as I can get is "We are pushing for Constitutional carry here in Texas and hope to get it through very soon. I mean it will be "real" Constitutional carry with no restrictions at all." Anyone else hear this?

B.D. WALKER

I was listening to Cam & Co. on Sirius radio Monday night. Ted Nugent was on and he stated something that shocked me. As close as I can get is "We are pushing for Constitutional carry here in Texas and hope to get it through very soon. I mean it will be "real" Constitutional carry with no restrictions at all." Anyone else hear this?

I am assuming he is referring to the future end point, we all ultimately want constitutional carry at the end. But I am doubting they are just going to get up and change to present bill over night that might doom the bill.