Thread: Community Police Academy - Kent Police

Question Community Police Academy - Kent Police

Community Police Academy Begins April 20

Designed for community members curious about the workings of their police department, this is a unique opportunity to get an inside look at the Kent Police Department.

The Community Police Academy is a series of classes that offer straight forward, candid, information regarding daily and specialized operations of the Police Department, while defining the agency’s role in the community.

Classes are held Wednesday evenings, 7 - 9 p.m. There is one Saturday session which will include tours of the City of Kent Corrections Center and the 9-1-1 facilities at Valley Communications Center. After attending the first three classes, participants are also eligible for a ride-along with a Kent Police Officer.

The free classes are held at the Kent Police/Fire Training Center, 24611 116th Ave. SE and are open to those 18 or older.

Space is limited and pre-registration is required. For security reasons, all applicants must pass a background check. Persons with a felony conviction or recent misdemeanor conviction cannot be considered for participation.

Download an application by
    clicking here.

For additional information,
    call 253-856-5884 or
    e-mail [email]cvelez@ci.kent.wa.us

Let me know if you like this type of information or not and it should be posted someplace else.

People attending these Police Academies are great to make contacts with local law enforcement, I attended the one in Yakima last year and make several great contacts that has worked to my favor is discussions about different issues with law enforcement here in Yakima.

If you can, take the time and join up.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by 911Grunt View Post
    :::snip:::

Download an application by
    clicking here.

For additional information,
    call 253-856-5884 or
    e-mail [email]cvelez@ci.kent.wa.us

Let me know if you like this type of information or not and it should be posted someplace else.
    No link. Could you tell us where the download is.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryk45XD View Post
    No link. Could you tell us where the download is.
    A quick google search came up with this.

http://www.ci.kent.wa.us/CommunityPoliceAcademy/
    Last edited by BigDave; 03-10-2011 at 03:04 AM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Last September I went through the Seattle Community Police Academy. It was held on Thursday evenings from 5-9 pm for 10 weeks. I enjoyed it and learned a lot; it was very thorough as to all the different duties of the police department. The last week we had a pot luck and graduation ceremony. You had to attend 8 of the 10 sessions to graduate. Since we hear so much negativity on here concerning LEOs, I would encourage people to take one of these and see things from the LEOS perspective.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Will they be showing the Video?

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    Since we hear so much negativity on here concerning LEOs.
    imho, people here don't have negativity toward LEOs.

We do often discuss specific incidents, involving specific officers, that paint those officers in a negative light.

It's the difference between saying "All cops are drug using, drug stealing, corrupt dirt bags," and saying "This officer is a drug using and drug stealing dirt bag."

One is an unprovable universal statement, the other is a factual statement about a specific person/incident.

If (some) LEOs changed their illegal and harassing behavior toward those who OC, then there'd be less negative things posted about (those) LEOs on this forum.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 03-10-2011 at 12:14 PM.

How many stories of LEO do we read that have committed a crime?

How many stories of a LAC Open Carry do we read that have committed a crime?
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    LAC kind of says it all. If one is a Law Abiding Citizen they by definition don't commit crimes.

We do, however read regularly of "Ordinary Citizens" using their guns in a manner that they shouldn't and therefore end up charged with a crime.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

How many stories of LEO do we read that have committed a crime?

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    LAC kind of says it all. If one is a Law Abiding Citizen they by definition don't commit crimes.

We do, however read regularly of "Ordinary Citizens" using their guns in a manner that they shouldn't and therefore end up charged with a crime.
    Let's make one assumption. The Police officer has a clean record and the Citizen has a clean record.... And then....

Who do we read more about having commited a crime?
    Live Free or Die!

Let's make one assumption. The Police officer has a clean record and the Citizen has a clean record.... And then....

Who do we read more about having commited a crime?
    Based on reports in my local newspaper, it's about even. The difference seems to be that investigations for police involved incidents take a year or more, and for plain citizens they "get right on it".

Police shootings tend to draw more headlines and follow up while "Joe Blow" shooting a prowler is a one time news event.

Absent hard statistics I don't think that either group of people with clean records unlawfully shoots more than the other.