• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Community Police Academy - Kent Police

911Grunt

Community Police Academy Begins April 20

Designed for community members curious about the workings of their police department, this is a unique opportunity to get an inside look at the Kent Police Department.

The Community Police Academy is a series of classes that offer straight forward, candid, information regarding daily and specialized operations of the Police Department, while defining the agency’s role in the community.

Classes are held Wednesday evenings, 7 - 9 p.m. There is one Saturday session which will include tours of the City of Kent Corrections Center and the 9-1-1 facilities at Valley Communications Center. After attending the first three classes, participants are also eligible for a ride-along with a Kent Police Officer.

The free classes are held at the Kent Police/Fire Training Center, 24611 116th Ave. SE and are open to those 18 or older.

Space is limited and pre-registration is required. For security reasons, all applicants must pass a background check. Persons with a felony conviction or recent misdemeanor conviction cannot be considered for participation.

Download an application by
clicking here.

For additional information,
call 253-856-5884 or
e-mail cvelez@ci.kent.wa.us

[I]Let me know if you like this type of information or not and it should be posted someplace else.[/I]

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
People attending these Police Academies are great to make contacts with local law enforcement, I attended the one in Yakima last year and make several great contacts that has worked to my favor is discussions about different issues with law enforcement here in Yakima.

If you can, take the time and join up.

Ruby

Last September I went through the Seattle Community Police Academy. It was held on Thursday evenings from 5-9 pm for 10 weeks. I enjoyed it and learned a lot; it was very thorough as to all the different duties of the police department. The last week we had a pot luck and graduation ceremony. You had to attend 8 of the 10 sessions to graduate. Since we hear so much negativity on here concerning LEOs, I would encourage people to take one of these and see things from the LEOS perspective.

amlevin

Will they be showing the Video?

Police_Academy_4_Cover_Image.jpg

Dave_pro2a

Since we hear so much negativity on here concerning LEOs.

imho, people here don't have negativity toward LEOs.

We do often discuss specific incidents, involving specific officers, that paint those officers in a negative light.

It's the difference between saying "All cops are drug using, drug stealing, corrupt dirt bags," and saying "This officer is a drug using and drug stealing dirt bag."

One is an unprovable universal statement, the other is a factual statement about a specific person/incident.

If (some) LEOs changed their illegal and harassing behavior toward those who OC, then there'd be less negative things posted about (those) LEOs on this forum.

Last edited:

amlevin

How many stories of a LAC Open Carry do we read that have committed a crime?

LAC kind of says it all. If one is a Law Abiding Citizen they by definition don't commit crimes.

We do, however read regularly of "Ordinary Citizens" using their guns in a manner that they shouldn't and therefore end up charged with a crime.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
How many stories of LEO do we read that have committed a crime?

How many stories of a LAC Open Carry do we read that have committed a crime?

LAC kind of says it all. If one is a Law Abiding Citizen they by definition don't commit crimes.

We do, however read regularly of "Ordinary Citizens" using their guns in a manner that they shouldn't and therefore end up charged with a crime.

Let's make one assumption. The Police officer has a clean record and the Citizen has a clean record.... And then....

Who do we read more about having commited a crime?

amlevin

Let's make one assumption. The Police officer has a clean record and the Citizen has a clean record.... And then....

Who do we read more about having commited a crime?

Based on reports in my local newspaper, it's about even. The difference seems to be that investigations for police involved incidents take a year or more, and for plain citizens they "get right on it".

Police shootings tend to draw more headlines and follow up while "Joe Blow" shooting a prowler is a one time news event.

Absent hard statistics I don't think that either group of people with clean records unlawfully shoots more than the other.