• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I had 3 LEOs over today

sudden valley gunner

A few years ago the state decided to audit my business, sent me a letter and when I called on the phone they said they want access to my computers and all my files and it could take up to 3 days, all in my house!!! Meanwhile I would miss work and have to coddle to some state thug invading my home.

I told them " Just to let you know I am a strong supporter of 2A and I openly carry my firearm and have other firearms on display in my home and I will not be putting them away".

She told me " Oh? well you can just drop off the last two years files at my office"

When I dropped off the files she asked "Is that a real gun?", Me: "Yes", Her: " I don't think you can have that in here", Me: "Yes I absolutely can". End of conversation never bothered by them again.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

The difference is that the government owns neither XD's home, nor her skill in taxidermy.

By what right does it impose these requirements? To what end? By what necessity?

I'm not defending unreasonable Federal regulations, simply saying that you do not give up constitutional rights for yourself via a certain profession. Don't know much about taxidermy, but FFL dealers put up with crap that is absolutely ridicules. I don't advocate anyone walking in and then out with a firearm, but the record keeping is inane. And the pos obooba nominated for head of the SA, I mean BATFE, would send it further into the crapper.

Gunslinger

And an inspection of your pockets for compliance is just a quid pro quo of breathing the air within the imaginary lines that constitute the borders of the state.

The state searching you without any suspicion of a violation of the law, "to check for compliance," or for "inspection," is not the same as making an agreement with a property owner that you may lease property from him under a set of terms. He owns the property, and you actually probably signed a real agreement and weren't coerced into it.

In Nevada, they set up checkpoints to stop vehicles to search for registration, driver's licenses, and "other violations of the law" (i.e. whatever contraband they see in your car when they have it stopped.). Personally I'm not a fan.

In California they stop people who UOC to search their gun for ammunition. Did they agree to comply in return for the quid pro quo of firearm possession? I've UOC'ed in California, but I never signed an agreement saying they can do that. And who says you can't store stuff in a gun? Maybe I have secret letters and money in the magazine well.

One might argue that presence within the boundary of place is an agreement to be subject the police powers within it, but it certainly isn't as easy to pack up and find a place without police powers as it is to live without a land lord.

Further, the landlord is likely to evict you if he finds something he doesn't like. If the state finds something they don't like, they're going to arrest you, send you to prison maybe, and likely change your status from a citizen to a subject possibly stripping you of your rights after adjudication. A lot more is at stake when you are searched by the state.

You're missing my point. I'm saying that merely being subject to regulations--whether by agreement or as a quid pro quo for a "privilege" does NOT mean you give up constitutional rights for yourself. The cop can ask for a DL, but cannot search your car on a whim. Whether the state or a landlord, any search must be reasonable. The BATFE can inspect your records if you're a dealer. They cannot look in your cash register or wallet without obtaining a search warrant. That's the difference.